Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 6:48 AM
Default Am I the only one who has seen the new Doctor Who show?
Nobody else seems to have seen it. It's really funny and cheesy. It's about a time traveling alien who is the last of the Time Lords who travels with a companion and they have lots of strange adventures. So far I like the second season best. It had David Tennant as the doctor (10th doctor in the show) and Billie Piper as his taveling companion. Have you seen it and what did you think of it?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 7:00 AM
"Nobody else"? Wat? The new Doctor Who series is wildly popular. One of our most recent featured items here at MTS is a sim of David Tennant for TS2 - and I'm almost done with a TS3 version. I've liked all three of the Doctors they've had in the new series - Nine was hot, Ten was just awesome all around, and Eleven is goofy and fun.
Scholar
#3 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 10:54 AM
Please don't call it a "show". It's a programme. Calling it a show makes it sound an overly American family entertainment show, in which theres a song and a dance and interactive with the audience. Doctor Who is amazingly popular, as HP says!

I'm supporting the Optimist Camp for the Sims 4.

Field Researcher
#4 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 12:12 PM
I love the new Doctor Who, even though I wasn't a fan of the original. I miss Torchwood, too.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 3:15 PM
Big Dr. Who fan here! Is Torchwood not on anymore? I thought I was just missing it. I LOVED Torchwood.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 11:14 AM Last edited by Marie.M : 20th Aug 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lemon&Lime
Please don't call it a "show". It's a programme. Calling it a show makes it sound an overly American family entertainment show, in which theres a song and a dance and interactive with the audience. Doctor Who is amazingly popular, as HP says!

Please dont call it a "programme" Calling it a programme makes it sound like a stuffy overly Brittish unfunny comedy/talkshow, where the jokes dont make any sense to nonbrits. Doctor Who is Amazing and I love it! Ive seen the entire of this last season and most of the last two.

P.S Go watch Six Feet Under Or 30Rock. Be learned. Find happyness. Lose ignorance. Names dont matter.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 12:01 PM
The first two new Doctors were cool but I'm not yet convinced about the third one.

IMO the best doctors in order were Tom Baker, David Tennant, then a draw between Jon Pertwee and Christopher Eccleston.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 12:34 PM
I like Matt Smith, but my favorite thing about the show is that Stephen Moffatt took over for Russell T. Davies.
Scholar
#9 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Marie.M
Please dont call it a "programme" Calling it a programme makes it sound like a stuffy overly Brittish unfunny comedy/talkshow, where the jokes dont make any sense to nonbrits. Doctor Who is Amazing and I love it! Ive seen the entire of this last season and most of the last two.

P.S Go watch Six Feet Under Or 30Rock. Be learned. Find happyness. Lose ignorance. Names dont matter.

Psssssst. Doctor Who IS overly British itself. Have you seen any of the earlier series?

Make your mind up. Either a show is unfunny or the jokes only make sense to British people, and is funny. By the way, I don't get American comedy. It seems based on the idea that saying anything outragous/in a funny voice/overly dramatic is hilarious and results in screechy loud female laughter. Completely unfunny and non-intellectual.

It is a television programme. It is not a show. It is also British, therefore I think the British terminology has the final word on the matter.

I'm not a huge Doctor Who fan, I've seen all the recent series though. I'm just the kind of person who dislikes the names of British films/programmes/books having to be changed for an American audience. Like Northern Lights having to be changed to The Golden Compass. Different issue entirely though.

Test Subject
#10 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 9:28 PM
I must say, I love Matt Smith. He's so goofy and awkward, but totally comfortable as the doctor. He's just so much fun to watch. Are you all new Who fans strictly or have you watched the older stuff?
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lemon&Lime
Psssssst. Doctor Who IS overly British itself. Have you seen any of the earlier series?

Make your mind up. Either a show is unfunny or the jokes only make sense to British people, and is funny. By the way, I don't get American comedy. It seems based on the idea that saying anything outragous/in a funny voice/overly dramatic is hilarious and results in screechy loud female laughter. Completely unfunny and non-intellectual.

It is a television programme. It is not a show. It is also British, therefore I think the British terminology has the final word on the matter.

I'm not a huge Doctor Who fan, I've seen all the recent series though. I'm just the kind of person who dislikes the names of British films/programmes/books having to be changed for an American audience. Like Northern Lights having to be changed to The Golden Compass. Different issue entirely though.

Unfunny to people not brittish? It having been 3AM here when I read your post I couldnt properly articulate quite what I wanted to say. (Excuses!)

Sounds like you mean the current american sitcoms.
Dont forget the laugh tracks. And I agree. They're awfull. I dont honestly know how they survive.

I think its more just terminology. Americans dont use the word "program(me)" in reference to TV, unless its a self-help/how-to program. In general, its all shows. Infact, most people here would consider it weird to call things otherwise. So its unlikely that Doctor Who will ever be called proper. But then again, America is a big country and it could be different in other parts. Ive lived in the northwest part all my life, so I wouldn't know.

And I agree with you about the name changing thing. Its supposed to make it more "exciting and appealing" to americans. I dont see why thats necessary at all.
Scholar
#12 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 11:54 PM
Yeah I really don't like the American sitcoms. I tried to find them funny to make a friend who loves them happy but my laughter sounded like the "canned" laughter they use on the shows. Utterly utterly fake.

I've noticed that about Canadians too. Use the word show a lot. To us the word show in reference to something on the TV has the same meaning as using the word in a sentence like this - "she "showed" off/she's "showing" off about.... etc" Something which is making a big song and dance, and is a kind of structured family entertainment thing. For example, something on the TV which mixes chat, news, music, comedy - like "The One Show" - even then it will be referred to as a television programme by British, and it's not restricted to classes/social groups. If something was on TV called "The Doctor Who Show" I would assume it was a chat show featuring interviews, special clips, etc. Rather than the actual episode itself.

"Exciting and appealing"? I haven't heard that reason before. In relation to the example I gave about Northern Lights/Golden Compass, I heard it was changed because America felt that no one would know what the northern lights were/felt left out because it's not so much to do with them. I agree, it seems really unnessary for it to be changed.