Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th May 2008 at 8:39 PM
"Sub-mesh" doesn't appear
Hi. I tried to modify a mesh using Unimesh/Milkshape. It's work. But, the mesh have a "sub-mesh" (see the image). I modified the sub-mesh and it didin't work. It doesn't appear in BodyShop/Game.
The sub-mesh was a "necklace". Anybody help? =(

The Images:

It's alright to make mistakes you're only human. Inside everybody's hiding something. Take time to catch your breath and choose your moment. Don't slide.
Advertisement
Banned Asshat
#2 Old 4th May 2008 at 8:48 PM Last edited by bLURR : 4th May 2008 at 8:55 PM.
Clone the outfit again and make the alpha bmp(neckless) completly white.
Then change both the recolor file and alpha bmp to 1024x1024 while your still in bodyshop.(use your photo edit proggy )
The skirt should be visible now.
Then import it ingame to test or watever
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th May 2008 at 9:43 PM Last edited by eletrodj : 4th May 2008 at 10:23 PM.
Thanks! I'll try.

Edit: Hum... Didin't work. =(
Banned Asshat
#4 Old 5th May 2008 at 1:21 AM
Are the comments still there in the comment box?

I am not completly sure but one of those necklesses gave trouble with the linking(or was linked to a uni texture file, i am not sure.

The best thing you can do is make a recolor from the hula skirt, that one has also 2 groups, has all the correct settings and is bumpmap enabled.
Link a new mesh to it and rename you submesh to body_alpha.
That way you be sure it works.

Or put your file up
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th May 2008 at 9:04 PM
No, I don't put the comments in the comments box.

Thanks again. I'll try.
Banned Asshat
#6 Old 5th May 2008 at 11:10 PM Last edited by bLURR : 5th May 2008 at 11:17 PM.
I see in your screenshot that you named the file afbodydressmedieval_alpha_neckl but the file is called afbodydressmedieval_alpha_necklace

This is wat you have to write down in the comments box:

ModelName: afbodydressmedieval_alpha_necklace
Opacity: 0
HasTangentArray:
NumSkinWgts: 3

If the line numskinweights wasn't there when you exported with unimesh you lost your boneassignements.
If that happened you have to either take the ms3d file(if you saved one.....) or start over with a earlier file wich had the correct comments.
Alchemist
#7 Old 6th May 2008 at 2:35 AM
MilkShape itself will only support 32 character names, meaning all I can stuff in there actually is 31 characters plus the invisible end mark (character 0).

That is what the ModelName: comment is for (remembering names longer than 31 characters).

I asked Mete once about increasing the name length, and the main issue is that the native save file format (.ms3d) would be adversely affected.

Alternatively, you could fix the package in SimPE so that the submesh name reference in the SHPE file matches the changed group name.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Banned Asshat
#8 Old 6th May 2008 at 3:19 PM
i dont think thats the case here.
If you import that mesh in milkshape only the groupnames get trunkcated(shortened)
The names in the comment box stay the same and those are used by SimPE so there shouldn't be a problem here.
I never have to edit the group names in any way, they always are correct in the comment box and always popup correct in Simpe.
I suspect he used the trunkated groupname that is displayed by Milkshape and filled in that name in the comment box?

I did once read somewhere that people had to edit the groupnames in SimPE but i suspect that was with a older Milkshape or unimesh version?
Alchemist
#9 Old 6th May 2008 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bLURR
I suspect he used the trunkated groupname that is displayed by Milkshape and filled in that name in the comment box?

I did once read somewhere that people had to edit the groupnames in SimPE but i suspect that was with a older Milkshape or unimesh version?

I also think that in the process of trying to make it work, this happened.

What you say is correct, the comments save the full, original group name and use that at export instead of a truncated one. So for straight clones changing group names would not usually be needed.

Adding a subset (group), or changing one, could need some renaming. It's really not very difficult, and all the game cares about is that the subset name used in the SHPE and the one in the GMDC are the same.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Banned Asshat
#10 Old 7th May 2008 at 1:51 AM
not even the shapefile is important, the names in there are old links to the original maxis subsets and mat.definations, you can delete those.
The subsetname in the recolor and the gmdc, that all.