Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th May 2007 at 7:15 PM
Default 'Sparklies' - what are they, and why?
This is a bit hard for me to explain, but I'll try...

I've noticed that with some of my body meshes, some kind of "sparkly" lines appear where the seams are. Not in BS, only in game, and they don't show in a close view but only when you zoom out pretty far, and from certain angles. They appear to be flesh-coloured so I first thought it had to do with the alpha but apparently not.

So I obviously did something in Milkshape that I shouldn't have done. But I need help to figure out what, exactly!

If I didn't make myself clear I'll try and take some pictures...

Thank you!

My 100% free site Carnaby Sims
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th May 2007 at 10:52 PM
they are gaps, miniscule gaps. A difference in bone assignments by 1% or a vertex not being exactly the same by .0005 will do that.

Get the very latest unimesh.

Go in with milkshape. Select a pair (or more) of vertices at the seam which should be one unit. Wes made new wonderful tools for this.... the vertex data merge tool. Use that tool. It will make the bone assignments and the location of the vertices identical.

If for some reason you notice any 'seam' in terms of shading on the mesh, go tidy up the normals at the same time with an 'align normals'

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th May 2007 at 11:41 PM
Thank you for your, as always, very clear and detailed answer, Tiggerypum! Seems I had the vertex data tool already, but never made an effort to really learn what is was for...

Thank you again - and, please, don't ever leave MTS2, 'k?

My 100% free site Carnaby Sims
Instructor
#4 Old 29th May 2007 at 8:48 AM
I wanted to say thankyou too because I have a "sparklie" problem on some cylinder shapes on some object meshes. Hopefully with this simple concise answer the sparklies will be resolved.