Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 2:59 PM Last edited by ronyu02 : 12th Nov 2006 at 2:01 AM.
Default (Edit: Another Pets issue?) Problem in making accessories wearable with others (just now)
I'm making two new accessories, both simple wearable pouches. For some reason, even though I made their bin numbers different in SimPE, they're still not wearable with each other.

Both were cloned from the black thick rimmed glasses (accessoryeyeglassesthickrims) in Body Shop, and I didn't simply just duplicate one package file to be sure. I even redone creating the packages from scratch.

I haven't had this problem before. Each one is wearable with other glasses, even with the one I cloned it from, and with other accessories I created (cloned even from those same glasses), but just not with each other.

I'm pretty sure there's just something simple I am missing. I included the files for anyone who would care to check what's wrong (one's a pouch located at the back, the other at the right thigh, available for all ages and genders, but anyway that's not the issue). Thanks.

(Bin numbers used are 0x1602325F for the back pouch, 0x1619325F for the side pouch. Changing them to other values didn't help.)
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ronyu02_Pouch_Back.zip (29.8 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  ronyu02_Pouch_Side.zip (17.0 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 6:51 PM
Are you using pets, and if so did you use legacy bodyshop to make your recolor files? I'd say all bets are off with whatever the pets bodyshop might generate.

Wait, when you say 'black thick rimmed glasses' do you mean the round ones? Those are broken. If that's what you mean, remake your meshes from scratch from a different pair of glasses.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 7:02 PM
Thanks. Well, I've checked the compilation of known Pets issues and this one's not listed. I'll see if I have any luck with the legacy BS, and post if it works or not. If it's indeed a Pets issue, well, the bugs never seem to end...

Nope, not the round glasses, I know they're broken. This one's the squarish black thick-rimmed one. I've used them before without any problems.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 9:21 PM
I installed Base Game Starter + Legacy Body Shop, did some tests, and got interesting results.

I'm working with the following packages:

MESH_backpouch
MESH_sidepouch
backpouch (made with Pets BS)
sidepouch (made with Pets BS)
backpouch_LB (made with Legacy BS)
sidepouch_LB (made with Legacy BS)

- In Pets and Pets BS, I cannot wear backpouch and sidepouch at the same time, as well as backpouch_BS and sidepouch_BS.

- In Base Game and Legacy BS however, I CAN wear backpouch and sidepouch at the same time (remember they were created with Pets BS), as well as backpouch_BS and sidepouch_BS (as expected).

- Forget what I said about my earlier accessories (made from same glasses) not having this problem, it seems like I they're causing conflicts in wearability with each other now. (Although I swear this wasn't the case at some point, and I already have Pets then.)

- No conflicts with my accessories + other downloaded accessories, and I assume this is because they are cloned from different glasses.

- I tried using other pairs of glasses, with no luck.

So unless I'm doing something wrong with my accessory binning, I think the problem is that Pets and Pets BS cannot load two accessories cloned from the same glasses, even if they are binned differently. Base Game and Legacy BS don't have this problem.

Can anyone with Pets test this for me? Make 2 recolors of same glasses (either Body Shop), bin them in SimPE differently from each other, then in Pets BS or Pets game, see if you can wear them both. Or check with your own accessories made from the same glasses and binned differently, if you have any.
Scholar
#5 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 5:52 AM
I don't have time to check your files at the moment - I'm busy trying to correct other Pets-related glitches in my own stuff.

But, I did check in Pets by having a Sim wear, all at once, 6 different accessories I have made. They all went on fine together, plus the original Maxis glasses they all started from.

In fact, I never even make up new mesh .packages - early on, I gathered together a complete set from one pair of glasses, and I just re-clone that one every time I make a new accessory - so, making them from the same glasses isn't the problem.

The problem might be this - your bin numbers are actually very similar to each other - and in the computer, hex numbers are read sort of backwards, left to right. So if the programmers have changed the way the bin numbers are read (as in reading a shorter number) the game may now be ignoring the few digits that you did change and reading it as if it were both the same number. It's quite possible that they did do this - without going into too much technical detail, it might make sense from a programming point of view - considering that it looks like the pet meshes and their layering uses a lot of "binning", and that Maxis only has so far used small bin numbers (only the two digits to the far right) and that we were never supposed to be messing with this anyway...

So, my suggestion would be to try changing your bin numbers so that the last 4 digits are not all the same, and see what happens.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 10:15 AM
Hm, seems reasonable. I always use the last same 4 digits for my stuff.

Will try and report back, thanks.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 11:31 AM
Hey it works! Changed the bin numbers so that the last 4 digits are different, even though first 4 are the same. I began experimenting on the numbers to see which digits were significant, but I soon lost patience :D

Ah Pets and its neverending bugs. Or maybe it's a feature. Either way it confused me for a while there.

Thanks again for the replies, you guys never failed to help so far