Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 4:51 PM
Default "Do you know how to fix my neck?"
"Hey, my name is Charley.

Nouk has made a hairmesh for all ages, and I think I like it.
But somehow, when I turn my head, people can see right into my head! Why is that? I think it's creepy.

Nouk does not know how to fix this. do you? Please be kind and tell her, because I don't want people to see I have an empty space in my head. What will the headmaster think?"

Thank you!

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 7:45 PM
Without examining the actual package, I have a few hints for you.
Hair meshes include not only the scalp, but also part of the skull bone underneath the hair.
The first place I would look is at the bone assignment for the vertices in the "hole" area. They should be assigned to a bone, usually either the head or the neck.
Look at the bone assignemnts for other parts that aren't invisible. My bet is that you just missed making one bone assignment.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Scholar
#3 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 9:16 PM
There is also an issue at the back of the neck with short hair meshes, caused by the lack of multiple vertex assignments.

This should be fixed when Wes's new plugins are released -

But for now, try this method - it works!

http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...207&postcount=7
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 9:58 PM Last edited by Nouk : 16th Jan 2006 at 10:35 PM.
@ Wes_h: Yup, they where assigned to Head, now I assigned them to Neck. When she turns her head now, the gap is gone, but other ones appear looks pretty funny though

@ dr. Pixel: But isn't that the same as just assigning them to Neck instead of Head? I shall try it out anyway and tell you how it went

Thank you both very much!!

**Edit: tried it out, still the same gaps on the sides. I guess it was a different problem...

Alchemist
#5 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nouk
@ Wes_h: Yup, they where assigned to Head, now I assigned them to Neck. When she turns her head now, the gap is gone, but other ones appear looks pretty funny though

@ dr. Pixel: But isn't that the same as just assigning them to Neck instead of Head? I shall try it out anyway and tell you how it went

Thank you both very much!!

**Edit: tried it out, still the same gaps on the sides. I guess it was a different problem...

Don't throw your work out yet... I have a new set of plugins and tools for MilkShape that will allow you to make the multiple bone assignments you need. Some of those vertices need assigned to both the head and the neck, with appropriate skin weights attached.

Your artistry is lovely, your tools are primitive. But we are getting closer.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#6 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 2:03 AM
Nouk, if the mesh is complete and this happens as you turn the sim, did you double check the values of the opacity of the different groups - it's explained by pinhead in message #20 in this thread
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=64338

Hmm, looking at it, did you add faces? Did you group them as you made them to that area of the mesh? I'm wondering if this is the problem that I think Dr. Pixel mentioned when someone was having part of the body mesh not show up.
Scholar
#7 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 8:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nouk

It's not the same as just assigning them to Neck - because you should wind up with two duplicate sets of vertices and faces in the exact same place (make sure you don't weld them together), one with the bottom row assigned to neck, one with the bottom row assigned to head.

The post might be a bit confusing - all the vertices of both the original and the duplicated faces should be assigned to "head" except only the very bottom row of the duplicated set are assigned to "neck"

I don't know why it works, but it did for me anyway.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 11:41 AM
Maybe I misunderstood the post. I grouped them together, meaning they are now one group...hmmm let me see if I can redo it now... get back to you soon!

Scholar
#9 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 12:16 PM Last edited by Dr Pixel : 17th Jan 2006 at 12:24 PM.
You do need to group them together, back into the main "hair" group.

But only after making sure everything is assigned first.

Because after you regroup them you can't individually assign the vertices since they are right on top of each other.

So, it goes like this:

1} Have only the group "hair" showing. Make sure all vertices are assigned to "head"

2} Select those bottom faces as show in the post, and on the menu "duplicate selection" - there will now be a new group on the groups tab.

3} Hide the "hair" group. Only the new group now shows. All it's vertices are assigned to "head" - select the very bottom row of vertices, and assign to "neck"

4} Unhide the "hair" group, and regroup these back into one - rename this "hair", make sure it is in the correct place on the "groups" list, and replace the comment. But do not weld this group together, that will destroy the new assignments you just made.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 11:35 PM
Right! I got it! Thanks!!

It works, it looks a little strange, but theres no gap on the bottom. Now, i need to see if it works if she turns her head in different positions, and allso if it works on the kid hairmesh.

Thank you guys for helping me out on this, this is only my second mesh that works and that is thanks to all of your stuff, the plugins and a bit of tutoring from smart people like your here and there.

And Besen ofcourse ( I doubt she'll read this topic, but she helped me out alot!)!

Let me check and I'll tell you the results!

Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Jan 2006 at 10:00 PM
I have another question - I have been trying to add bangs or a pony to the mesh.
I duplicated part of one of the other layers, reformed it, and merged it with two other layers.

Now they don't show up at all. Is it simply not possible to add anything with this tool? Or should I try another way?

Greetz from Nouk

Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Jan 2006 at 12:29 PM
Never mind! The bangs work now! I'll show a screenie later