Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 11:15 PM
Default So how on Earth do I take screenshots of CAS?
Nooby question but I really want to know how to take cool shots. I know I can use the snipping tool, but that needs the demo to be in windowed mode and I'm not exactly sure how to that.

Again, please excuse the nooby nature of the question (just got the demo yesterday and I'm anxious to learn how).
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 11:17 PM
Use this:

Then paste it in a photo editor (or MS Paint) and save it.
Eminence Grise
#3 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 11:42 PM
I've been using a lil program/website called CropOff. It lets you draw a rectangular area of the screen, and uploads it to a website, where you can share it with others or right click to copy to the clipboard or save to disk. For CAS, you generally don't want the whole screen anyway, since most of it is empty.

However, CropOff will also require the program to be in windowed mode... which you set under video options. "Windowed Fullscreen" is probably the best choice (it functions like windowed mode but doesn't have a window border, so you get the whole interface at full resolution.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 11:44 PM
This what I get when I do the print screen thing.

Inventor
#5 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 11:44 PM
I use Fraps, my print screen refused to work for some odd reason
Eminence Grise
#6 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 11:46 PM
Probably need windowed mode for printscreen too. There's really no reason NOT to use fullscreen windowed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 11:46 PM
Figured it out. Thank guys
One Minute Ninja'd
#8 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 11:49 PM Last edited by eskie227 : 9th Aug 2014 at 11:51 PM. Reason: ninja'd
When you start the demo, click on the little 3 dot icon in the upper right hand corner, and go to game options. You will then be able to select the mode to run in, either full screen, or, if you want to just take screenshots using ctrl+prtscrn, in windowed mode. Or if you prefer to run in full screen mode, you could use a third party capture solution like the little program FRAPS, that's popular for stuff like this (it also does more than just screenshots, but it will certainly meet your need). You can find it through Google. Have fun!

Edit: Aww, come on! 5 posts in the 10 minutes it took me to type this out? Fine, I'm manning the grill, so it took me a little while to type 3 sentences, but still, 5 responses in that time?
Instructor
#9 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
I've been using a lil program/website called CropOff. It lets you draw a rectangular area of the screen, and uploads it to a website, where you can share it with others or right click to copy to the clipboard or save to disk. For CAS, you generally don't want the whole screen anyway, since most of it is empty.

However, CropOff will also require the program to be in windowed mode... which you set under video options. "Windowed Fullscreen" is probably the best choice (it functions like windowed mode but doesn't have a window border, so you get the whole interface at full resolution.)

What you've described, it's exactly the same as puush.me - another handy program.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 12:56 AM
i use dxtory a nice program that can also limit your framerate (just do it as i have motion issues) and it has a built in button. it is odd that no one has figured out a dedicated key yet since there is a screenshots folder in my documents under it.......odd. would be nice to figure out a way to take a pic without the UI maybe in the full game eh.
Instructor
#11 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 4:13 AM
there's no way you can take a snapshot on the DEMO... 'C' hot key is not working... the only option is PrintScreen key on your key board and paste it to your photo editor like for example paint.... :P

"Keep Calm and Play with STYLE"
#My Avatar: Nick Johnson
Download Policy
MrDensilter tumblr account.
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Green House Challenge
Scholar
#12 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 4:21 AM
I put mine in full screen windowed mode and use the snip tool that came with windows 7.
The only thing is that there's a pause between selecting it and it being ready to snip. It's great for the close up shots but if you're zoomed out your sim is moving around and pulling facial expressions so the point the snip tool pauses it is dumb luck.
If I want a pic zoomed out (which isn't often), I'm using prt-scrn to get the shot I want and ctrl-v in paint prog.
One of my first wishes when I got the demo was a pause button for it.
I also hope the standard 'c' for screenshots still exists in the actual game with a proper screenshots folder.
Eminence Grise
#13 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 4:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MrDensilter
the only option is PrintScreen key on your key board and paste it to your photo editor like for example paint.... :P

... except for all the other options mentioned in this thread? :p
Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 5:17 AM
why does the CAS demo have a screenshots folder?
Eminence Grise
#15 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 5:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear

Placeholder? Presumably the same reason it has SavedSimInfoData, Saves and SerialGUID...

easier to leave the folder structure from the game intact than to prune it.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 5:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear

Maybe the game have the screenshot feature, but is not implemented on the demo.

"Ride to live, live to ride...wheels of fire, forever!!!!!!!!!"
Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf
Mad Poster
#17 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 11:44 AM
I use Gadwin for almost all screenshot purposes. My printscreen button only works when it wants to (which is approximately never, for reasons I've not figured out yet), so I set the Gadwin button to something else. It can be a bit tricky to set up, but it's the best screenshot program I've tried.
Instructor
#18 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 12:51 PM
I run Origin through Steam, so I obviously just use Steam for the screenshots.
But like others suggest, if you don't have Steam, you could use something like Fraps? Doesn't Origin have it's own way of snapping screenshots too?

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Theorist
#19 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 3:25 PM
I hit PrintScreen and paste into IrfanView. IrfanView is the best graphics viewer, highly recommend.

Resident wet blanket.
Scholar
#20 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MarcyRoars
I run Origin through Steam, so I obviously just use Steam for the screenshots.
But like others suggest, if you don't have Steam, you could use something like Fraps? Doesn't Origin have it's own way of snapping screenshots too?

Ooo, I never thought of using the steam overlay. I'll give this a shot. Great suggestion. Thank you