Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Nov 2011 at 4:38 PM Last edited by Akihiro : 12th Nov 2011 at 11:21 PM.
Default 'Neck' a complex part to smooth. {Solved}
Hello Everyone!

I made a mesh, but i keep getting this problem below:

Though i tried Align Normals with Autosmooth unticked and even weld verticles with my mesh and a head mesh but when i export it to the game, it shows like that :/

Whats exactly the trick to make it smooth?
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 12th Nov 2011 at 4:44 PM
Instal Wes H his merge tool plugins and have a look at this tutorial: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=398865
You can use it to setup the hotkeys.

Then:
Import a original gamemesh with correct normals on the neck.
Import your custum mesh
select the vertice(on both meshes) you want to fix and use the normal data merge hotkey(or choose from the menu)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Nov 2011 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Instal Wes H his merge tool plugins and have a look at this tutorial: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=398865
You can use it to setup the hotkeys.

Then:
Import a original gamemesh with correct normals on the neck.
Import your custum mesh
select the vertice(on both meshes) you want to fix and use the normal data merge hotkey(or choose from the menu)

I tried but it doesnt work can you explain me one more time breifly please : (
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 12th Nov 2011 at 6:40 PM
* Make sure you have autosmooth off
* Always import a correct mesh first or make sure that your reference mesh is listed first in the meshtab.
* Import your custom mesh.
* Select one identical vertice on both the meshes.
* Go to menu and choose sims 2 Unimesh normal data merge(or use the hotkey)
* Repeat the same step for each vertice.

When done you delete the reference mesh.
Its to long ago to remember if the morphs have the same normals on the neck as the base mesh, if not then you have to repeat the same steps for the morphs.
But i think fat and pregnant use the same.

check your mesh with a skintone that has a perfect match on the neck area

To check if the normals are correct you can use the ''Extend Manual edit'' wich is part of Demon's alligne normals.
Before the merge tools were arround we used this manual edit to fix the normals by copying and past the normal value settings.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Nov 2011 at 10:57 PM
whoa okay ill try and ill tell you the results!

Thank you for your help and time!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Nov 2011 at 11:21 PM
Working!!!
Thank You So Much Bloom! =d
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 8:25 PM
Your welcome
Forum Resident
#8 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 2:30 AM
Hi Blooms. I just read this& wanna thank you for writting such a usefull and descriptive tutorial. I tried & it seems like in BS it works good to get rid of the neck line. However, some skintones still show neck line and I'm wondering is there an easy way to fix those skintones to match like the others without it?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 8:18 PM
Some skintones (like the Maxis dark skintone) have visible lines in certain planes (neck, ankles, etc.). Short of fixing the skintone and making default replacements, there's not much to be done. (I spent hours trying to fix this at one point. It's not really worth the hassle for such a small issue.)
Forum Resident
#10 Old 15th Nov 2011 at 2:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
Some skintones (like the Maxis dark skintone) have visible lines in certain planes (neck, ankles, etc.). Short of fixing the skintone and making default replacements, there's not much to be done. (I spent hours trying to fix this at one point. It's not really worth the hassle for such a small issue.)
You are absolutely right. I usually never look at that but, I must admit that when I do, it's a bit irritating considering the fact that we're always trying to improve things on this old game.
Have a nice day & thanks.