Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 8:51 PM
Default Alienware m9750
Does anyone know if this laptop is good for playing the Sims 2? I think the specs are ok but will the sims be able to work with the Core 2 Duo Processor?
I'd hate to drop a few grand on this to find that it doesn't work.
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 9:34 PM
Yes it will play... but you will over pay hundreds of dollars for way more than you need. Do you do any other gaming? What is your price range? Even if you play other games too there are better options..

Just make sure the c2d is at minimum (would highly reccomend more than) 2ghz because TS2 can't make use of the dual core.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 9:44 PM
I play a free online mmorpg Rappelz, and I want the computer to be able handle programs like photoshop, and be future proof. I know the alienware is really expensive but part of the reason I'm getting it is beacuse of the monthly payments. I don't think most places will give me monthly payments beacuse I have no credit. Not bad credit but none, zip, nada. I'd be thrilled if you could suggest a cheaper laptop though.
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 10:33 PM
Your other game doesn't need any more power than TS2 does.. it says it will run on a pIII so much less I'd say.

Hmm.. so it has to be a site that offers a credit plan.. well that throws out what I was first going to suggest.. Just going to throw this out there in case your situation changes: http://www.xoticpc.com/force-3298-b...?wconfigure=yes

I would recommend configuring with

T8300
2gb ram (for the photoshop work.. only 1gb really needed for the games you play)
160gb hard drive (or whatever you can choose, just needed to pick one for the price comparison)
XP Home
$1367.00

Either way you have to get approved for a line of credit. Whether it's through a bank or through Alienware (which uses a bank for the credit line too..). You know what I mean? Anyway I love that site because they have fantastic customer service. You’re not going to get the kind of customer service offered with this company going through a name brand like Alienware, Dell, HP, Toshiba.. any of them. If you notice at the bottom that notebook comes standard with a full 3 year warranty and LIFETIME 24/7 tech support. Couple that with the particular notebook well built and the specs are ample to scream through TS2 and any other aps you might want to run.

Now if you REALLY have to have a company which is going to offer you a line of credit maybe you should look at newegg.com. Or even like your local Best Buy offers a line of credit.

Generally speaking this is what to look for in a notebook:

~Lean towards XP if you can get it.. runs things faster. If not, Vista isn't the end of the world. Most laptops will allow you to put XP on them even if they come with Vista.
~ Nice dedicated card. 8400 GT at minimum. NO GO cards (7000 or 6000 Nvidia) and no integrated cards. You might find a laptop with the ATI 2600 card and that should work ok too.
~1 GB ram for XP and 2 GB for Vista. Wouldn’t hurt to get 2gb XP and 3gb Vista if you find yourself really getting into photoshop but for sure no more than that is needed.
~Try to get an Intel over AMD they will run cooler and clock per clock faster. If you do end up with AMD no TK or MK processors. TL-60 at minimum. 2.0ghz at minimum, better is preferable because TS2 can’t use the dual cores.

Here’s a few that should work well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16834220239
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16834220181

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16834220285

Add a second gig to the first two to make 2gb under Vista. The third link is good to go as is. Main difference between some of those is a little bit in the processor and also screen resolution. Don’t know what you’re looking for.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Feb 2008 at 3:43 AM
Thanks. I really like the computer you linked from xoticpc.com but I have a question it uses a GeForce GO 8600GT. Isn't that a GO card? Or is it only the 6000 and 7000 GO cards that have issues?
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Feb 2008 at 4:38 AM
The 8600M GT card has not demonstrated the same compatibility problems that the 7000 and 6000 cards had. I know many people who uses 8000 mobile cards and not seen a single issue related to it.