Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2007 at 9:33 AM
Default "GameData" nodes in the cres?
Okay, seriously... What are they for? I have one in an object I'm making which is irritating me at the moment, and I'm not sure if I want to try and alter it or just straight out delete it and put a dummy node in its place... Unfortunately, I don't actually know what its purpose is yet, so it's a bit hard to decide.

I'm guessing it's related to long distance views of the object, since it mentions LODs, but other than that I'm a bit clueless.

Anyone able to shed some light on it for me? Pretty please?
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 9th Sep 2007 at 10:10 AM
I have not even noticed them myself, so this is a complete guess in thin air... I wonder if they are positions that get saved with the game so that when you reload that object as you open the lot next time, the object remembers where it was and carries on from that place?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 9th Sep 2007 at 10:52 AM Last edited by mooman_fl : 9th Sep 2007 at 11:53 AM.
Inge,

Just chiming in with a thought... wouldn't that be saved in the lot data and not in the object file since that object may be used in multiple lots? It doesn't seem that it wouldn't make sense to store that in the object itself.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 9th Sep 2007 at 10:58 AM
Absolutely! All state-of-play data is held in the Neighbourhood file, inclding information about relationships.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#5 Old 9th Sep 2007 at 5:59 PM
About the LODs string - value 90 is required there, along with some other stuff, to make object appear in Neighborhood View. May I point to this? :o
I hadn't seen any other strings in GameData. If you know objects with other values, please tell about them, it would be interesting to look at them :o
Alchemist
#6 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 2:07 AM
I think Echo noticed this because my CRES joint importer plugin for MilkShape does not, as yet, know about these, and so it just refuses to go on. When I wrote this, I only put in the RCOL nodes I found in the CRES I looked at, since I wrote the parsing code from scratch, and saw no reason to write for anything that wouldn't get used.

Apparently I didn't get one of those in my randomish sample.

When I get pointed at one, or find it, I will update the importer. While it does not need anything that would be in it, it does need to know how to skip past the content in order to parse everything else.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 2:52 AM
Now, I start to realise why some objs have LOD 90, especially the tree plants. They're used in the neighbourhood as well.

Jasana_BugBreeder,

Thanks for the tutorial... I can't thank you there without wasting a post box.
Instructor
#8 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 8:13 AM
Wes, clone object with guid 0x8CA69948 - it's urn on pedestal - it has this block. If I remember correctly, all big sculptures have it.
Of all objects I've seen, GameData can only contain empty LODs string, or LODs string with value 90.

Of the other blocks in CRES, I know few objects with Effects block - but it's unlikely that they'll be edited until effects would be editable.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 10:57 AM
Sorry Wes, I didn't put this up here to pressure you, I just realised that I had no idea what it was for and figured I'd ask the question.

Some clothing items have LOD 15 connections. Pet skeletons are similar. LOD is "Level of Detail", so I assume that LOD 90 is neighbourhood, perhaps LOD 15 is a reduced detail version for zoomed out views?

Is that the only purpose of the node? LODs seem more like something I would expect to find in the gmnd than in the cres...
Alchemist
#10 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 8:56 PM
This is interesting.

I will get the cres importer fixed soon. It does not need the data from the node, but it does need to be able to recognize the node so it can 'walk through it' properly. Unlike the whole RCOL node, which can be handled in it's entirety by parsing the header and then the data length field, pulling the CRES itself apart requires that your parser knows how large each node is, and in most cases these nodes may contain more nodes, all of which may or may not be a basic node or another combo one.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Scholar
#11 Old 15th Sep 2007 at 10:02 AM
Cars have LOD 30,90 in the GameData section.

I also have found that some objects have a GameData section that is empty.

For example, the produce bin. In fact, I was able to make my truck-produce bins (cloned from that object) correctly appear in the neighborhood view simply by adding the "LODs = (String) 30,90" to the GameData section without having to add a second mesh, etc...

Maybe the various values are used for viewing the neighboring lots while you are playing?