Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 3:03 PM
Default Avatar changes
Hi All,

As you know, MTS2 has allowed custom avatars to be uploaded for the past few months. Due to the severe load the server is experiencing at the moment, I have turned off temporarily all custom avatar uploads, and instead enabled off-site (remote) avatar linking.

All members with avatars are now moved onto a seperate webserver process (images.modthesims2.com) and thus drastically cuts the number of queries when browsing forum pages, cutting the page load time in half in a lot of cases. It also has the knock on effect of making *all* browsers cache the images properly, saving more on resources.

I'll be adding a custom image hosting script to that site soon (if anybody has any suggestions of ones to use, let me know) so that will allow people who don't have thier own webspace to still host images on MTS2.

We apologise for any inconveniance this may cause, but it should only affect people who want to change thier avatar, or those creating a new one.

Once we get the image hosting in place, we will let you know.

Regards,
Delphy
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 3:46 PM
If anyone need some spaces for image :
http://www.advanced-microtechnologies.com/
Field Researcher
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 4:15 PM
I kept the same avatar but I uploaded to my picture hosting website and changed the URL to host if from there instead of on your server, is that what I was supposed to do?

thank you
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 4:22 PM
www.putfile.com is the best for hosting stuff like this! I use it all the time.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 4:23 PM
Lynn, only if you wanted to change your avatar.

I didn't want to just delete everybodies avatar, and since MTS2 has unlimited bandwidth, it made sense to provide a place to host them
Instructor
#6 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 5:47 PM
photobucket.com :thumb:
Test Subject
#7 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 5:58 PM
photobucket will be ok if you have a full account with them, but free accounts have limited bandwith allowed a month and using it for a forum will eat it up. I use www.upimages.com which is free and has unlimited access for hosting images.

Bunny xx
Field Researcher
#8 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 6:05 PM Last edited by 25or6to4 : 22nd Feb 2005 at 6:12 PM.
I just took my Avatar off the server's here and hosted it on ImageShack I've never had problem's with ImageShack and well also host any images I post for now on through ImageShack sense there so reliable!.

keep up the good work Delphy :thumb:

thx Craig

I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die,So let me live my life the way I want to!.-J.Hendrix
Test Subject
#9 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 6:55 PM Last edited by marjan : 22nd Feb 2005 at 7:01 PM.
Delphy, if it helps you can take away my avatar. Btw I love your site and thank you so much for all the work you and Eve put into it.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 7:53 PM
Okay guys, and girls...

It's OK that we host your avatars. We have unlimited bandwidth after all

The only reason I moved them was to take off the database queries to help the site in general - not to get people to move everything offsite.

Hope this clarifies things,
Delphy
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Okay guys, and girls...

It's OK that we host your avatars. We have unlimited bandwidth after all

The only reason I moved them was to take off the database queries to help the site in general - not to get people to move everything offsite.

Hope this clarifies things,
Delphy

I think what we are trying to say is.."We just want you to know, We would do anything to help" Just say the word Delphy

TY 4 Sharing....All The Best To You.
Cherrece
"The Hand that Rocks the Craddle...Rules the Nation"
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 10:57 PM
Delphy, by 'Image Hosting Script', do you mean something like this?

http://www.freekrai.net/article/Image-Hosting-Script/

Want the best browser?!?! Get Firefox.

- FIREFOX -

- The safest, fastest, best browser out there -

Test Subject
#13 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 3:16 AM
Thanks for bothering to host, instead of just dumping them and making us start over. :jig:
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 3:48 AM
photobucket definately.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Davidoff76
If anyone need some spaces for image :
http://www.advanced-microtechnologies.com/

Quote: Originally posted by mcwick
www.putfile.com is the best for hosting stuff like this! I use it all the time.

Quote: Originally posted by pippi420
photobucket.com :thumb:

Quote: Originally posted by AngryBunny
photobucket will be ok if you have a full account with them, but free accounts have limited bandwith allowed a month and using it for a forum will eat it up. I use www.upimages.com which is free and has unlimited access for hosting images.

Bunny xx

Quote: Originally posted by electric
photobucket definately.

I don't think you guys get what he is trying to say. He wants a CUSTOM image hosting script that he can put onto images.modthesims2.com, not another company's photo hosting service. This way, as he said, it will allow people who don't have their own image hosting service to still have/use/change their avatar and use the image hosting service that is on images.modthesims2.com. This way people will be able to upload their own images to images.modthesims2.com.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but just trying to clarify things. :D

- FIREFOX -

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 2:31 AM
Exactly Eriks
#17 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 1:28 PM
Exactly Eriks

I've found File Upload Manager http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/20793.html to be pretty easy to use and modify (if you are comfortable with php).
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 10:04 PM
Exactly Eriks

Well, I really don't know much about PHP or MySQL, or even any type of script, so I can't recommend any particular script that I like or anything, but here are a few I've found while browsing and doing some google searches:
http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scrip...e_Manipulation/
http://celerondude.com/index.php?a=s&id=1
http://phpimagehost.com/

Those are all I could find that look decent. But again, like I said, I really am not into PHP or MySQL so I don't know if these would work for you.

- FIREFOX -

Test Subject
#19 Old 25th Feb 2005 at 5:30 PM
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 8:36 PM Last edited by Eriksrocks : 26th Feb 2005 at 8:40 PM.
~Po~, I can see that is your first post! Welcome!

Why not go post a introduction in the introductions forum?

Plus, yes, we (as in the whole forum) have unlimited bandwidth, so really everyone can have an avatar, and we already have sort of a donor program, (MTS2 Supporter) which Delphy and Eve agreed that the Supporters would only get a little simolean icon under their avatar - nothing else.

Have fun here!!

Btw, Delphy, have you found a image hosting script yet?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#22 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 2:58 AM
Eriks, yes but I need to hack it to pieces to get to work with vBulletin... just means sitting down and debugging PHP... not too hard
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 3:30 AM
Yay! Glad you found one! Hopefully you will get the image hosting up soon!
Test Subject
#24 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 1:54 AM
I have an avatar but I can't upload it into my profile even when I put my URL into where its supposed to go. How are you supposed to put the link into the place? Any extra things you need to do?
Test Subject
#25 Old 21st Mar 2005 at 6:21 AM
I understand your having server problems right now. But I can't add my avatar either right now. I have a really nice one too. Maybe you can add a browse button next to the line where you type in where your avatar is?? That'd be really great! TYIA.
Page 1 of 2