Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#151 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Luckk
Good luck to everyone! Saw some pretty good pictures submitted. This will be a great calendar~

Yeah, I especially like the June pictures. Apparently it's the month of love - summer love, bridal love, vampire love, lesbian love...

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Instructor
#152 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 4:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Luckk
Good luck to everyone! Saw some pretty good pictures submitted. This will be a great calendar~

Indeed. I don't even care if I don't win anything anymore. I'm just curious to see the results when they arrive.
Test Subject
#153 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 4:59 PM
I can't wait until they announce the winners! The suspense is killing me
Test Subject
#154 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 5:27 PM
When do we get to know who won? I can't wait to see aaah :D
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#155 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 6:54 PM
Well, we normally don't announce until everything is ready. So we have to judge 3 contests, make 3 calendars, plus the achievements stickers. Normal time frame is to announce New Year's/Eve.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Mad Poster
#156 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Innamode
When do we get to know who won? I can't wait to see aaah :D

I want to have my uhm, suspicions confirmed. Did I win, yes or "we're awfully sorry"?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#157 Old 7th Dec 2015 at 6:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heaven
Well, we normally don't announce until everything is ready. So we have to judge 3 contests, make 3 calendars, plus the achievements stickers. Normal time frame is to announce New Year's/Eve.

Thanks. That gives me a timetable for when to check back.
Test Subject
#158 Old 7th Dec 2015 at 5:20 PM
So...far...away...until the winners are announced. Lol
Lab Assistant
#159 Old 11th Dec 2015 at 12:52 PM
Now I have another good reason to long for New year's eve! Good luck everyone, there are some really good pictures - must be hard to be in the jury!

Please follow The Grey Witches on my blog!
Test Subject
#160 Old 18th Dec 2015 at 8:51 PM
:lovestruc :lovestruc I Loved All Of The Pics Its Going To Be Hard For Them To Judge!
Instructor
#161 Old 22nd Dec 2015 at 9:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gingerxyz
I've a feeling that one disagree-er from the pictures subforum has been at work again. You know, that mysterious person who makes sure that every image post that even implies the existence of LGBT people gets a 'disagree' click?

And then when one person clicks the button, other people feel better about doing it, I guess.

They definitely aren't too passionate in that picture though. It's just the typical garden variety homophobia and double standards and shit.

They seem to do it with my usual family too, involving a polygamous Queen of Hell. Probably disagrees with polygamy and the fact she rules Hell.
Mad Poster
#162 Old 22nd Dec 2015 at 10:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by southparkrocks
They seem to do it with my usual family too, involving a polygamous Queen of Hell. Probably disagrees with polygamy and the fact she rules Hell.

Some people are just bitter. If this were my forum, I'd have banned them a long time ago. Only fun-loving people are welcome!

insert signature here
Test Subject
#163 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 5:10 AM
Funny, I'd just realize this contest, haha.
Supposed its already in progress of judging right?
If its not, I'd really happy to enter. =)
Instructor
#164 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 7:18 AM
Contest ended on Nov 30th. So they're probably already judging and/or putting the calendar together.
Site Helper
#165 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 6:02 PM
There will most likely be another one in a year. (It has begun to be an MTS tradition, after all.) You could start thinking about your entry(s) for it now.

(Just don't make the entry unless you're prepared to discover that there's been a rule change when the new one is announced.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
#166 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 3:53 PM Last edited by BulldozerIvan : 30th Dec 2015 at 8:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
There will most likely be another one in a year. (It has begun to be an MTS tradition, after all.) You could start thinking about your entry(s) for it now.

(Just don't make the entry unless you're prepared to discover that there's been a rule change when the new one is announced.)

I should hope next year's calendar challenge allows for some Photoshop (within reason). I would LOVE to do a September calendar image depicting the Second Battle of Dephinapolis from Sodality: Vindication. It'd be a lot like the Battle of Sokovia from Age of Ultron, and to depict either in Sims 3 would be intense.

Even if I had to scale back and settle for a December image depicting the fight between the Gray Champion and Blackett from Shaken Dust for the fate of Jonseboro, that would still be intense. However, Gray just doesn't look right without some post-processing done to his mask. And I picture the Battle of Jonesboro looking like a scene from Thor: The Dark World, so I'd love to get that cinematic lighting if the contest rules are changed to allow it.

If that's still too effects-heavy, I could do Navyrope and Tiffany's escape through the caves at the end of Navyrope 2 and make it a November image.

If the contest is for determining the 2017 calendar, then I should probably scale way back and do a scene from Pilltar 2, which takes place in 2017.

I could do some banter between Seth and Stephanie regarding her in-court outburst of "Actually, I'm the Strawberry!" That scene of the two discussing her backfired attempt to protect her boss in court from a lawsuit - and the resulting contempt charge on her - would lead to them sharing a moment of friendly banter as he's visiting her while she's in a jail somewhere. I could probably render the inside of a jail in Sims 3 with no special effects, as I've built a lot of jail sets for Camelorum Adventures and the aesthetic is easy to reproduce. But I'd want to research Des Moines to make Stephanie's being there look believable (though most viewers who don't live in Des Moines probably wouldn't care if I fudged it.)

However, this is all probably a pipe dream.
Lab Assistant
#167 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 1:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BulldozerIvan
I should hope next year's calendar challenge allows for some Photoshop (within reason).

I guess the reason why they don't allow using Photoshop is that they want it to be fair
for all who want to take part and send in their screenshots. I know a lot of people who have
no idea of how to use PS, Gimp or similar programs. So they don't have a chance to make
any changes on their screenshots. Someone who is used to work with Photoshop or similar
could make minor changes, add or delete things and so on and that would be unfair.
Even the use of a filter can change a screenshot completely. So it is the best if they do not
allow any manipulation to keep it fair for everyone. But that's just my opinion.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Mad Poster
#168 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 2:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Beltanefire
I know a lot of people who have
no idea of how to use PS, Gimp or similar programs. So they don't have a chance to make
any changes on their screenshots. Someone who is used to work with Photoshop or similar
could make minor changes, add or delete things and so on and that would be unfair.
Even the use of a filter can change a screenshot completely. So it is the best if they do not
allow any manipulation to keep it fair for everyone.

Isn't that part of the challenge? I don't think it's at all weird to say it shouldn't be my problem when someone else doesn't know the tools they're working with. It's either all out for me, or not participating at all. I'm sure I could've done a lot more with my screenshot if we were allowed to do any kind of editing.

insert signature here
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#169 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 3:23 PM
The reason Photoshop is not allowed is because it's a game contest, not an editing contest. I'm sure a lot of people could put out some gorgeous pictures if some of the sims stuff I see on Tumblr is anything to go by but we want raw material stuff that truly depicts the game.

"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#170 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 7:57 PM
Winners are Announced!!!

Lab Assistant
#171 Old 4th Jan 2016 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Grijze Pilion
Isn't that part of the challenge? I don't think it's at all weird to say it shouldn't be my problem when someone else doesn't know the tools they're working with. It's either all out for me, or not participating at all. I'm sure I could've done a lot more with my screenshot if we were allowed to do any kind of editing.

I work with Photoshop for about 20 years now and surely could do a lot of editing on a screenshot.
But that is not the point of this contest. Like Heaven said, it is about Screenshots and not about edited pictures.
So everyone can take part, everyone gets the same chance and that is fair for everyone.
I have no problem with not using any editing program here. If I don't win, someone else just had a screenshot
that looked better than mine. But it wasn't because he or she had better editing skills....

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Test Subject
#172 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 1:37 AM
I don't care so much about not allowing photoshop, or GIMP etc.. But.. Just one thing, if we're going by what's "fair" to everyone, and doing things "raw", and vanilla, that doesn't quite go, cause for one, NOT everyone knows how to use mods. Not everyone knows how to use the pose player, people who know, have automatic advantage.

I for one, didn't know how to use mods for the longest time, (and still don't know how to use some of them) that aside, poses themselves are quite a bit of editing, and altering of basic Sim movements and interactions, and really any kind of mod in general could probably do the same bit of editing a photo program could do, since there are mods that can change the sky and water etc... It almost really ads up to the same thing.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#173 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mymobilename
I don't care so much about not allowing photoshop, or GIMP etc.. But.. Just one thing, if we're going by what's "fair" to everyone, and doing things "raw", and vanilla, that doesn't quite go, cause for one, NOT everyone knows how to use mods. Not everyone knows how to use the pose player, people who know, have automatic advantage.

I for one, didn't know how to use mods for the longest time, (and still don't know how to use some of them) that aside, poses themselves are quite a bit of editing, and altering of basic Sim movements and interactions, and really any kind of mod in general could probably do the same bit of editing a photo program could do, since there are mods that can change the sky and water etc... It almost really ads up to the same thing.

By that token, should we just allow base game only? Because, you know, not everyone has the same expansion packs?

We don't allow editing because, as I said, we want it to be about the game. Not necessarily vanilla since CC is allowed, as are mods. You're not required to use them and it doesn't make photos any better. In fact, there are probably at least a couple winning images that were "vanilla". Poses don't alter the game anymore than animations. That's all poses are - single frame animations (some are even specifically from certain game animations). If anyone has an "advantage", it's likely the people who have spent hours and years learning how to take good screenshots. They know what angles look better or how to frame a picture or even what animation they may need to portray a certain action.

Test Subject
#174 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 4:15 AM
"By that token, should we just allow base game only? Because, you know, not everyone has the same expansion packs? "

That's not at all my suggestion, but on the basis of what's considered "fair", wouldn't that be the only action to take? I'd think so.

Poses do give the pictures more character, and even set the overall mood of a picture, I'd say they enhance quite a bit. Some poses are from the game, but many are made from magazines and photos of actors, or models. And no, poses aren't required, but pretty much all who entered used them anyway, cause they add more artistic touches.

I do understand not wanting someone to cut and paste their sims to a Star Wars poster in Photoshop or something. I understand wanting it to be about the game (though I don't think a few lighting enhancements in Photoshop would hurt anything).

My only point was the claim about "fairness", in terms of who has more advantage (for the most part) in knowing how to use mods, and who doesn't, is the same as claiming those who know photoshop have an unfair advantage, over those who don't.
Scholar
#175 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 3:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mymobilename
My only point was the claim about "fairness", in terms of who has more advantage (for the most part) in knowing how to use mods, and who doesn't is the same as claiming those who know photoshop have an unfair advantage, over those who don't.

1. The mods and CC that some contestants may use are Sims game-centric mods. That is, they are created for the SIMS games. Photoshop is not.
These contests are about the Sims game and/or images from the Sims game - something we have screencaptured from our open Sims games.

Photoshop is not a mod (let alone a Sims mod). It is software that you are suggesting we should be allowed to use AFTER the fact.

2. Knowing how to use game cheats and mods is a skill that can be learned, like painting or quilting.
Would you claim that your Great-Aunt Mabel has an unfair advantage in a local quilting contest just because she's been quilting for 40 years?

These contests at MTS provide fun for the participants and the viewers, but they also spark people to learn.
Someone sees a winning image one year, and learning that the winner used buydebug lighting or Pose Player, they might be
more inclined to try those out. Sometimes seeing the results of a mod in use is enough to give someone the motivation
to download that mod and try it out in their own game.

p.s. You might have noticed the name of this site: MOD the Sims?

Page 7 of 8