Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Oct 2010 at 6:22 AM
Default Better Simbots
I think that the simbots are quite disappointing in many levels. I mean... They are machines, why do they have to share such a high degree of similarity with their sim creators? Eating? Resting? Going to the restroom? If I had the skills I would make simbots that need none of those things. I would also make them use their bodies as computers - they are computers, after all. I imagine a simbot seated on the sofa, while a small progress bar grows over its head as it writes a book or while it browses thru the web or whatever. That could also come in handy for cyberpunk simmers since the tolken could also be used by human-sims.

What would your better simbot be like?
Anyone out there willing to make a moddin effort? (pretty please...? )
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 5th Oct 2010 at 7:14 AM
I would want the option to make replicant/android-style Simbots. They would generally look human-like, but you could still tell they were robots, like Maria in Fritz Lang's movie Metropolis. They would also be less silly and have a smoother walk. The goofy Simbots sorta turn me off.
Instructor
#3 Old 5th Oct 2010 at 7:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by arremessador
I think that the simbots are quite disappointing in many levels. I mean... They are machines, why do they have to share such a high degree of similarity with their sim creators? Eating? Resting? Going to the restroom? If I had the skills I would make simbots that need none of those things. I would also make them use their bodies as computers - they are computers, after all. I imagine a simbot seated on the sofa, while a small progress bar grows over its head as it writes a book or while it browses thru the web or whatever. That could also come in handy for cyberpunk simmers since the tolken could also be used by human-sims.

What would your better simbot be like?
Anyone out there willing to make a moddin effort? (pretty please...? )

Create a petition in thesims3.com forum to ask EA to create a patch to for simbot.

Like people did for breast slider.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Oct 2010 at 7:36 AM
- Well... you can always use awesomemod and "editsim" them and change their age-group... and so make them, well, human.
They will retain their simbots stats (e.g.: voice, jet-running, aging, not needing to bath, etc, etc...) while receiving a human skin and thus becoming imune to water. Oh, and no more break dancing. Add red eyes and nice futuristic jumpsuit and voila: Replicant. A more robotic look could also be created thru searching a more robotic set of skin/hair/clothing/accessories.

- To get rid of the weird walk... a very nice modder from around here created a great mod named: "MTS_shoni89P_1135194_Simbots_Walk_Normally"
Field Researcher
#5 Old 5th Oct 2010 at 8:03 AM
Yeah, I've tried doing that before, but I kinda failed. Back to the drawing board, I guess! Just asking, do you know of any Sims 3 sites where I could get something like a futuristic jumpsuit? Or cyberpunk stuff? Maybe I should post in "Where Can I Find?..." :cylon:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Oct 2010 at 3:53 PM
I last time I needed a futuristic jumpsuit I just used the one brought from the future thru the time machine. (if you use awesomemod, type in unlockoutfits true and then editsim and look for it.)
Field Researcher
#7 Old 5th Oct 2010 at 7:08 PM
Cool, thanks!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 5th Oct 2010 at 8:00 PM
I know they're supposed to be sentient robots, but they're still robots and should be more roboty. The way they are in the game is like a human in a metal shell (a bit like Iron Man).

I think it's silly that they have to eat, use the bathroom and sleep. It would be more robot-like if they had to charge up instead of sleep or eat (no eating = no need to use a bathroom). It's also annoying that sims will be shocked by them no matter how many times they've seen them, they should just get used to it after a while. I quite like their walk as it isn't human.

I actually love arremessador's suggestion of using themselves like a computer. In addition I don't think they should have to learn skills; I think it would be better if they could have skills programmed into them.
Test Subject
#9 Old 6th Oct 2010 at 8:03 AM
There are mods that fix most of these things. Slave Bot at MATY makes them compulsively clean etc., when their needs are low they eat scrap and it sorts out all of them, and other stuff I can't remember. There's a mod here at MTS that eliminates the shocking effect they have on sims. A Walk normally mod has already been mentioned.
With all these mods in place I quite like my Slave-bots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Oct 2010 at 8:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by el_flel
I think it would be better if they could have skills programmed into them.

It would be really cool. Similar to how logical sims can teach skills, high skilled computer/hackers sims could program simbot skills and behaviour/nature alternatively, a sim could pay the repair person to do such a thing.

Simbots are supposed to be intelligent artificial life forms, alright, but due to their mechanical-eletronical status, they could also play a role substituting some home appliances like a computer, a stereo and even less dignifying functions as being a trash compactor or a trash bin. Following the home appliance scenarium, I guess that they could also have a power off switch.

I should have learned to code. I wish I could make it myself as I can clearly picture images of a simbot that is half best-friend, half handy tool... unfortunately I was too lazy and all ever studied about programing was... well... BASIC... in 1987. :S
Mad Poster
#11 Old 6th Oct 2010 at 12:42 PM
I think all simbots should be like Bender, that would be amazing lol.

As for programming them it just seems more likely: if you want a robot to do a certain activity they wouldn't sit and read a book, you'd install a program with that skill on. It could still take a while for it to be installed but would fit so much better, I think. I like your idea of computer whiz or mechanical sims being able to do it.

Being able to power down would be cool too. I miss that function.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 6th Oct 2010 at 2:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by el_flel
I think all simbots should be like Bender, that would be amazing lol.

As for programming them it just seems more likely: if you want a robot to do a certain activity they wouldn't sit and read a book, you'd install a program with that skill on. It could still take a while for it to be installed but would fit so much better, I think. I like your idea of computer whiz or mechanical sims being able to do it.

Being able to power down would be cool too. I miss that function.

You can sort of power them down if you ask them to take a bath. They get a shorcircuit that lasts them till morning or so. With the slave bot hack they do behave much better, much like a robot. Wish they removed completely the needs, hunger should probably be replaced with need for energy and/or oil. The oil is just because they have in their conversation panel complain about oil or something like that. Anyway, they should be able to charge either by standard battery, solar energy, or electrical outlet. They should need an oil change or a fix every once in a while. Their skills should be programmed into them, like you put in a chip and they have cooking, mechanical, or gardening skill. Also, they should remove the life time aspiration, their only aspiration should be to serve and protect their owner, or it should probably be linked to their skills only. I loved that my simbot mourned the TV when it broke down. Also, I think we should be able to customize their look, and give them different looking body parts, sort of mix and match tops, bottoms, shoes and head appearance.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 6th Oct 2010 at 5:40 PM
I tried to make my simbot look like Data.. FAIL
I don't have a skin pale enough... Oh, and my poo sim making skills.. Oh, and my lack of patience..

et viola...

lmao..

It was strange when I took him into CAS originally. I tried to give him a tattoo.. like an off switch.. but his body reverted back to elder stage, but his head was adult. Strange.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 6th Oct 2010 at 8:31 PM
That's still a pretty good attempt at making Data, though! I kinda fail at making humanoid Simbots!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 6th Oct 2010 at 10:04 PM
Brillo, I like the outfit you have on "Data." Where is it from?
Forum Resident
#16 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 5:18 PM
It's from the Design and Hi-tech stuff pack. (HELS - for the states..)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 5:55 PM
I wish someone with great skills would join the cause of a better simbot as described here. Like Pescado or Inge... well Inge wouldnt do it (her work deals with making the sims more realistic) ... oh well...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 14th Nov 2013 at 11:25 PM
and voilá, Plumbots were predicted here...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 14th Nov 2013 at 11:42 PM
by all means, be warned: trying to give a sim-skin to a plumbot will result in a total plumbot annihilation: it will be destroyed with all its chips and will be replaced by a regular sim.
One Minute Ninja'd
#20 Old 14th Nov 2013 at 11:54 PM
I'm impressed. I don't think I've ever seen an Original Poster necro their own 3 year old thread. Talk about fond memories.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 15th Nov 2013 at 4:31 AM
And a triple post to boot!

Theorist
#22 Old 15th Nov 2013 at 8:13 PM
You kind of have a point, but then... think about OP opening a new thread saying, "Yo all, remember that three year old thread where bunch of people said they didn't like simbots ..."
Mad Poster
#23 Old 15th Nov 2013 at 9:24 PM
You also have a point, but both are unnecessary imo.