Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th May 2011 at 6:30 PM
Default A question about cloning and recoloring plant objects
I'm trying to make recolors of things like the Lavender bush, the Azalea bush and some of the other plant decorations so they will fit in a desert world. When I clone the file in S3OC and then open my cloned file in S3PE, I see no image files to extract and manipulate. Is there a trick to plants that I am missing?

God Bless,
mik
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 6th May 2011 at 6:50 PM
Yeah they're what's known as Speedtree objects, and don't have the same sort of file structure as normal objects. s3pe/oc can't handle these. Not sure if there is any other tool that can...

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th May 2011 at 11:24 PM
Well, poopie. I need some desert foliage - as in sage brush looking stuff, dry, dusty, brown bushes and recolored buckthorn to fill out the desert/apocalypse world I'm building.

God Bless,
mik
Alchemist
#4 Old 6th May 2011 at 11:37 PM
Hmm...I thought someone had done some desert stuff for S3. If you need more than is out there it's always possible to clone a deco item and replace the EA mesh with a plant-type mesh. The type of plant you're talking about don't seem as if it would be a deficiency if they didn't blow in the breeze like SpeedTree plants do...they don't have enough leafy kind of foliage for it to matter.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#5 Old 7th May 2011 at 12:22 AM
This subject was discussed here, but the process may have changed a little due to S3PE updates.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th May 2011 at 6:52 AM
The only free desert foliage I could find for TS3 were the 3 saguaro cactuses, which I already have. They are too bright green for my tastes.

I don't have milkshape to try to make my own meshes at this point. AND the process seems pretty intimidating too :/

God Bless,
mik
Alchemist
#7 Old 7th May 2011 at 7:22 AM
Free desert foliage:

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=433234

The plants in the thread are cloned how I discussed above rather than being recolored SpeedTree items so they aren't going to move in-game. But, again, desert items don't have foliage which seems to require this so these objects work out very well I think.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th May 2011 at 4:32 PM
OOOH - thanks They really won't work too well in my apocalypse world, but I've got a few other desert ideas in mind.

I STILL would like some sage brush, yucca and scrub pine (if you have ever been to Wyoming, you know the foliage of which I speak).

Has anyone figured out how to edit speedtree files yet? I hope they do soon.

God Bless,
mik
Test Subject
#9 Old 11th May 2011 at 11:22 PM
FWIW, a free version of Speedtree is packaged with the Unreal Development Kit, which is also free for non-commercial purposes. I have not played with it too much and really don't have much interest in making new trees, but others might.