Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 10:33 PM Last edited by Samekh : 29th Mar 2005 at 12:20 PM.
This is what happened when I imported the frame with the shadows to SimPE and renamed the original frame to some nonesense in it's gmdc file.

I shall keep trying. If there's something fundamentally erroneous with the above somebody please tell me. Please

(The bedding was there but no frame)

Image and zip deleted now to conserve space. Thanks for the help.

Thanks AP for your (peculariar) interest in having the floating bed in your collection. If anyone else wants this strange item I still have the zip file on my hard drive so send me a message!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 10:37 PM
i like it ;-)
Field Researcher
#53 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 12:48 AM Last edited by peter_halland : 30th Mar 2005 at 1:55 AM. Reason: new thread link
Just some feedback and thanks to Numenor. If i have had any idea about how much time this project will take i probable never started. But it was worth it.
Posted as an update here http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=53990
Screenshots
Mesh Maestro
#54 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 4:12 AM Last edited by JWoods : 29th Mar 2005 at 4:16 AM.
Peter Very nice Mirror...

Samekh, Here is what you need to do....

Make a new shape in the "shape" file... Just copy the first Shapes data with the frame to the second shapes with the shadows and your new frame... see below screen shots for example in SimPE and in game, your bed working with this theory in place... I also opened Numenors mod and noticed the frame in the shadow GMDC... in order for your game to see it it must point to the shape in the shape file then the material deffinition file, then the texture.... When you "add" the new Shape, "frame" to the shadow shape file be sure to copy and paste the material definition file to that area too as shown in the screener.... Hope this helps you...
Screenshots

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Field Researcher
#55 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 11:06 AM Last edited by Samekh : 29th Mar 2005 at 11:31 AM.
It should help. Thank you thank you JWoods. I shall try that now. I thought it would be something to do with the frame being with the shadows in the gmdc but with the bedding in the shape file but had no idea what I needed to copy in the shape files so I will try it now. Bless you.

Well... It worked!!!! Thank you so much. I know the mesh for the frame itself has some problems but the important point is it's in the game, it uses the same bedding as the other beds and, as a plus, has an indoor shadow. This is such a breakthrough for me - you don't know how long I've been trying to do beds! Now I know! Thank you so much - you're wonderful.
Field Researcher
#56 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 11:04 AM
Numenor. I got a renaming problem with the very-private. Renaming the file causes that the new file dont show the object in the game. And i guess there could be conflicts with other objects too in the furture? Will you be kind to take a look, i realy have to give up at this point. I am at work now---no time to place the file here--- please if you could catch it upi n my thread? I realy would appreciate your expert help.
Field Researcher
#57 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 3:06 PM
JWoods. We're having a bit of trouble here

http://forums.modthesims2.com/showt...ed=1#post337847

A: They hate my cushions
B: I've almost killed Sims2Master
C: Do I need to know what the resource node does?

Here's my steps. Did I do anything noticably wrong? I've already corrected the custom-object name in the gmdc file of the bed you downloaded (haven't tested it and replaced the zip yet though). We're trying to make it and a cushionless version recolourable.

Alright, hideously messy at the moment (and please don’t ask to see the package created for this description because I didn’t – on this occasion – actually get new guids) I just did a mock up so I could remember exactly what I did the other times. I shall tidy this up soon but – having checked it – it looks like a complete replication of my process. The one that doesn’t work!

Cloned the funkensnooz bed (using SimPe33) leaving all boxes checked apart from ‘Load Parent Data’

Scenegraph Rename Wizard – gave it a new name (no underscores), clicked update, saved new package.

Object data – got seven new guids (updated MMAT, committed AND saved after each new guid (I save because sometimes SimPE and internet connection cut out when I’m in the middle)

Geometric Data Container – (the first one has the original frame, bedding and opacityplane) left it alone for now
The second one (with four shadows) copied the file name to clipboard, which because I’m doing it again is

testing-samekh_root_rot_gmdc

Replaced the gmdc file (the second one with the shadows) with my SimPE file (which contains meshes called frame, groundshadow, southwallshadow, eastwallshadow, westwallshadow so I don’t have to do too much renaming)

Pasted the testing-samekh_root_rot_gmdc over the filename of the gmdc I just replaced, committed and saved.

Selected the first gmdc (the one with the original frame in it) items 3 selected the frame and changed it’s name to a something random so that the game would ignore it committed and saved

Shape – the first shape file has components bedding, frame and beddoublecolonial_opacityplane. In parts I selected the frame and copied, to clipboard, the name of the Material Definition file

##0x1C050000!testing-samekh_frame_lime

the data part of this 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 can be left alone because it is reproduced automatically at the next stage

the subset name – frame – I can remember that
I selected the second shape file parts clicked ‘add’ to make a new part selected the colon that appears gave it the subset name frame and pasted ##0x1C050000!testing-samekh_frame_lime in the Material Definition. Committed and saved

The next stage I’ve done two different ways (with the same results)

1: First shape file (the one with the original frame) select the frame part and delete it, also clearing the boxes for subset name and material definition and data. Committed and saved.

2: Didn’t delete it, left it completely as it is.

Replaced the texture image for the frame, committed and saved, fixed integrity and saved again. Put a copy of the package in my downloads, tested it in game. OK

Close game, open SimPe, find the new package in downloads folder to make it recolourable.

Now it is, infact, the second geometric node

testing-samekh_root_rot_gmnd

where the new frame I want to recolour should be residing but in the blocklist there’s no option for tsdesignmodeenabled so I can’t do anything with THAT, but, in a vain attempt to try ANYTHING at this point I designmode enable the first geometric node.

Commit save

Open the package with Object Workshop, make clones of it, give it recolour packages. NADA.

Pleeeeaassee.
Field Researcher
#58 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 6:28 PM
Heheheh, yeah I think we'd both like help here! I think I took on too much then I could take! Well not really I just kept mucking up cos I'm an idiot!!

Btw, Numenore/Jwoods, could either of you tell me why my textures are not showing correctly? Such as, I have made a breadbin and put on a nice wood texture I would like to use. However, in SimPE preview and in the game the texture displays as a flat brown colour. So no nice wood texture just this horrible muddy brown. I deleted the package because I was going to start again, but does anyone know why this is happening?
Field Researcher
#59 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 6:40 PM
Maybee i can some help of JWoods or Numenor. Big problems with this package, a wallampclone added to a wallmirrorclone. When i rename the saving name in simpe, sometimes!, the object don t show up in the game anymore. The new thumbnail says no pic, but the object, if placed with the former package before renaming in the game, still is there. I the tried fix integr + new guid+uppdate mmats+ renamed forced prefix for the lampfiletextures in the txt-list. It still don t work. If i load the game with a clean DL folder i get rid of all and after that the game accept the renamed package as a new object and everything is fine.
I got even this message:

[QUOTE=jawal]I ran half a dozen tests this morning after I installed your newest 'VeryPrivateMirror 93' and finally managed to have it properly showed up in the game (including all my customed objects added).

When I first removed 92 and installed this package without any customed contents in my d/l folders, 93 didn't have any problem showing up and there wasn't any problem even after I added all other NewMeshed objects, but as soon as I moved my 'Recoloured Maxis Objects' back to the game, 93 was missing again, logged off (without saving game) and relaunched, still nothing showed. So I logged off (without saving the game) and reboot my PC, 93 finally showed up without a glinch.

I would think that those who had a problem with this package are also having recoloured objects in their games. Relaunching the game couldn't resolve the problem without a reboot, at least that's what happened to me!

Btw, 93 all look great, they're more detailed and refined. Thank you very much!!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MTS2_peter_halland_para_veryprivate_mirror93.rar (323.4 KB, 21 downloads) - View custom content
Mesh Maestro
#60 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 6:55 PM
The formula I use to keep the animation in tact is to import the bed frame into the shadow GMDC...

I have tried to use the mesh tool(0.9.46) to replace only the frame. This also disturbs the animations because when you "load sims 2 mesh" in step two of the mesh tool you have to convert it to a mesh through the mesh tool. This destory's the animation as stated above... I did try this as well as the normal way of creating a custom mesh with the mesh tool...

There are two things you can do here...
1. Follow the original theory of importing the frame into the shadow file (keep the name "frame" (not lime frame)) produce your bed in game and see that the animations are correct... Next follow "Numenors" color enabling tutorial not the one he and I wrote "Quick color enabling". This I would think should work but That is his area and you may want to ask him his opinion...
My theories and part of the "Quick object color enabling" is the matter of not changing shape names... I worked on this theory to avoid the long process of enabling re-colors through the tutorial whenever possible... As Numenor mentioned the beds are complex objects and not every object can be "instantly color enabled. Once the structure of the package is changed the "instant enabling" will not work.... I have named all the files the original names and when doing a recolor the two sub sets show up and after the package is finished it does not show up in-game as another "color".

This tells me that I am awfully close but that doesn't help does it? LOL

2. Your second option is to type in the search above, "beds". You will come across a thread where a women has succesfully imported the frame in the first GMDC, her beds animation is still in tact, the extra bedding is, as far as I noticed, drawn from the original colonial bedding and the package may not be color enabled... The way to incorperate recolors for her bed is to make recolors for the original colonial double bed. I believe they should show up in the new bed....

You asked if I saw anything that stuck out that may be wrong...

1. Clone the "Colonial bed" for your project, no other as they use the data from that bed....

2. Keep the shape name "frame" as that not "Lime Frame".

3. The first GMDC's name can be changed, hash assigned... But do not export the objects and run them through the mesh editor. The mesh editor is as Numenor also stated killing the beds animations...
Mesh Maestro
#61 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheSims2Master
Heheheh, yeah I think we'd both like help here! I think I took on too much then I could take! Well not really I just kept mucking up cos I'm an idiot!!

Btw, Numenore/Jwoods, could either of you tell me why my textures are not showing correctly? Such as, I have made a breadbin and put on a nice wood texture I would like to use. However, in SimPE preview and in the game the texture displays as a flat brown colour. So no nice wood texture just this horrible muddy brown. I deleted the package because I was going to start again, but does anyone know why this is happening?

It sounds like you are seeing the texture just a mushy one.... If not check your shape names they should be that of the original...

if it is a matter of your object not having the texture you expected then that can be caused by one or two things...

1. (The easy one) make your texture smaller, It's to big and stretched out... DDS tools are best for this type of thing...

2. The MMAT for the original texture is causing it to display as the original object did... If your not fluent with MMAT files and what to change Pick a clone base object that you are sure will show a solid texture... If you only have one texture then try the 12th centuary vase as your clone base object... If you still have problems upload the package so I can take a look at it...

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Field Researcher
#62 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:12 PM
If the 12th century vase is the blue one with a white texture on it that's the one I am using. Also, (sarcasm) I know so much about MMAT files my brain can't take it.. Lol, I know nothing about them, unfortunately.
Mesh Maestro
#63 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:21 PM
Yes it is that one.... This tells me that it is the texture it's self.... Try making the texture bigger and/or smaller that is what is happening I am 99% sure...
Field Researcher
#64 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:25 PM
I have tried this, it always asks if I want to crop it, and whether I press yes or no it still appears as small as the original picture. I don't understand what's going wrong. Also, I don't think making it any smaller shall make much difference, seen as the picture is already very small.
Field Researcher
#65 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 7:55 PM
Ok, I have increased the picture twice at different sizes and decreased the size once. Nothing changed and my object is still horribly muddy.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#66 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 8:29 PM
I'm sorry for the delay I'm answering, but I had a lot of work to do, today.

SAMEKH:
When I've read the request you had for a bed without cushions, I had a simple idea: why not create a special recolour for the frame/cushion that would make the cushions invisible? So, I've created a recolour package, addad an alpha channel to the texture and I made the cushion transparent. But I had a little problem due to a glitch in the UV map: the border of the cushion and a small part of the wooden frame use the same portion of the texture; therefore, if I reduce the transparent part, the border of the cushion remains visible; and if I enlarge the transparent part, a little portion of the wooden frame disappears.
I'm attaching the recolour package I've created. If you correct the UV map (leaving few pixels between the "cushion" part and the "frame" part), you'll have a bed with no cushions, without having to create a different bed.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  heartbed_samekh_recolour-without-cushions.rar (53.6 KB, 27 downloads) - View custom content

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#67 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 8:47 PM
I'm having to tell my 4 yr old child (whose just discovered the joys of Paint Shop Pro) to bug off for a minute. I managed to make a new mesh, with new guids, for the same bed frame without cushions but it's the whole bit about having the frame in with the shadows gmdc that's causing problems.

The margin problem creating whilst mapping (bits of pink and green appearing along the edges) was due to me not anticipating the amount of space a pixel needed from the edge of a colour block in an image or texture map. Child is bolshy. I hope this explains my failure here. Have a look at the new mesh that anonymous asked for. Why can't that be recoloured. That's a changed mesh. I put it in with the shadows gmdc, it's not recolourable. I've been subsequently told that the new meshtool can import 'parts' of a gmdc separately. So, the question I humbly ask is:

Put the frame mesh with the shadows
or
Does the new mesh tool import the frame model into the gmdc with the bedding without altering the bedding

Oh lordy.

When I/We crack this. Me and Sims2master will make a tutorial just for recolourable bed frame meshes and all the credit will go to you and JWoods. I'm banned.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#68 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 9:20 PM
PETER:
I had a lot of trouble with your very-private mirrors (both v 92 and 93): I couldn't manage to enable colour options, no matter what I tried.
In these cases, there is only one solution: start again from scratch.
And so I did. Basically, I've rebuilt your mirror from the ground up; if you look at my package, you'll see that very little of the original package was saved.
No, this is wrong: actually I've saved the most important things, the mesh and the textures!

I can't tell you what was wrong in your package. I noticed that there were TWO text lists 0x88, pointing to two different resource nodes (one of them, the sconce, wasn't actually included in the package): this must have created a lot of confusion in the game

When you want to "merge" two objects into one, you can't clone both of them: you clone the main one (in this case, a mirror), and then add some meshes in the existing GMDC, edit the existing shapes, and finally add the MATD/TXTR/MMAT from the second object. There's no need to tell you how hard this job is to do...
My suggestion is: everyone should do what he knows better, and you are a master in mesh creating. I volunteer to colour-enable your most complex packages, if you can't do it by yourself.
Please don't misunderstand me: the problem is *not* that I don't want to share my knowledge; actually, I've posted on MTS basically everything I know.
But colour-enabling, and the internal structure of a package are too wide subjects to explain in detail, and every object has its own peculiarities.

Anyway, as I wrote on your thread, I was delighted by this mirror, and I simply had to fix it! :D
Here is the result of my efforts: a package with all your 4 frame colours, plus 4 different glass screens (the glass is now recolourable). I used your original meshes, but I've re-grouped them: the bulb, the glass and the metal with the frame, all the shadows in another GMDC. I noticed that the frame is not in touch with the mirror: probably I've messed up while regrouping the meshes, please fix it before releasing the package.

The golden rule I applied is to make everything neat and well-ordered; the number and the name of the original subsets should always be kept; even the internal filename are to be considered with attention: if possible, don't use underscore in the Scenegraph rename wizard, and use a common unique prefix for all the filenames.
Next, I want to try and activate the turn on / turn off functions (the autolight feature is not possible, but maybe a manual switch can be implemented...).
Attached files:
File Type: rar  para_veryprivate_mirror94.rar (301.5 KB, 24 downloads) - View custom content

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#69 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 9:25 PM
SAMEKH:
I'm not much experienced with 3D editing and the MeshTool; I've read that now it's possible to "add" a mesh into the GMDC, but so far I've always used the old system: export the shadows, export the frame, import both in the 3D prog (I use Wings 3D) and export all the meshes at once.
Field Researcher
#70 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 9:28 PM
Hello Numenor! Any chances of you helping me with my problem? Scroll up if you will, thanks.
Field Researcher
#71 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 11:08 PM
Numenor. You touch my hearth and keep my brain. Yes i mainly feel as a designer and want to create new things. I realy apprechiate your friendly helping hands. Did you noticed that you allready were mentioned in the catalogtext for this mirror?
In some way i fixed it and it worked. But it was like a very beautyfull car that ballanced on three wheels only. Not everybody could drive it. So realy big thanks. You know, there is the same other way arround. If you have a cool idea packaged in a exciting way and you want to have the gmdc s modelled and coloured...just call me by.
I will check the file, but i am waiting with posting it. Maybee you find that switch to turn the lamps on and off. I tried with that "behaviors" to add in the mirror behaviors, but all crashed all the time, . I suggest one of our hackers here could do it. It seemes that they can add whatever behavior they want to that menu-bubbles.
AND: Recolours for the glasses? WOW...that was where all my troubles got even worse, because i was not satisfied to have the same glass colour on the different recolours. I am soooo curious now to see and try...fantastic.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 11:12 PM
TS2Master, if the suggestion give by JWoods didn't work, then it could be an internal reference problem.
Use my check-list to spot the broken link.
Or better, try the Scenegrapher: it's in the Plugins menu of SimPE. In the Scenegrapher you can follow the internal link structure: if a file is marked with "Available:false" or "Available:extern", then concentrate on that.
Mesh Maestro
#73 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 4:20 AM
I am sorry I should have stated the problems with TS2Masters problem here too... The problem is resolved as his object was not UV mapped... This cause the texture to be streched all over it and be distotred. After mapping his object the texture was not streched out...

A suggestion to TS2Master is to obtain a free program like UVmapper pro or Lithunwrap... Then he can use the saved map to paint detail in places he would like... I also did not mention that mesh is nice... Good Job..
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#74 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 7:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by peter_halland
Did you noticed that you allready were mentioned in the catalogtext for this mirror?

Thanks! Actually, I usually check the catalog text, too, but this time I had mor important things to check; I've copied and pasted the text without reading.

Quote: Originally posted by peter_halland
Maybee you find that switch to turn the lamps on and off. I tried with that "behaviors" to add in the mirror behaviors, but all crashed all the time, . I suggest one of our hackers here could do it.
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
My suggestion is: everyone should do what he knows better

This applies to me, as well... I tried, but the lamps are totally different objects then the mirrors, and the LampGlobals are far too complex for me. I hope that some experienced modder will solve the problem, sooner or later. Otherwise my suggestion is always valid: create a lamp suitable for one or more mirrors, and place it with the moveobject cheat; not an elegant solution but it would work anyway...

Field Researcher
#75 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 11:16 AM
Thankyou very much Jwoods! Sorry to put you through all that trouble. Also, the thing I don't understand about uv mapping, is that how do I know how big the texture should be? It wants to stretch it out big and with several programs it turned out as a perfect square= not much help at all. I guess I will have to fiddle around with this more. Once again thanks for your help :D
Page 3 of 15