Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2016 at 3:24 AM Last edited by lloyd118 : 18th Jul 2016 at 4:44 AM.
Default Grid alignment
Ok so I have done a lot of my world before reading that you should apperntly align the grid to the sun before building anything. I have not done this and wanted to know if it was important. Also i am stuck on lot alignment to roads, I'm using grid and a few lots overlap the road by a tiny bit, I heard it's bad not to align lots to roads perfectly or I'd just move the lot back a little.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 18th Jul 2016 at 11:22 AM
Aligning the grid to the sun? I've heard a lot, but is the first time I hear it. It's interesting though, but what is the reason for doing this? You can turn the grid around by degrees I think. Having lots on top of roads probably isn't a good thing. I would probably watch the routing and make sure it looks right.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jul 2016 at 2:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Aligning the grid to the sun? I've heard a lot, but is the first time I hear it. It's interesting though, but what is the reason for doing this? You can turn the grid around by degrees I think. Having lots on top of roads probably isn't a good thing. I would probably watch the routing and make sure it looks right.
Thanks alot for repling, I got it off of Krrank blog luckily my sunsets on my main beach already, thats the only reason i can think of why they said to align it with the sun http://krrank.blogspot.co.uk/2011/1...d-work.html?m=1
Scholar
#4 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 3:16 AM
I believe that what they mean about the sun is setting the clock to high to see where the sun rises and sets in your world. Then, if you wanted to, you could orient a lot, beach, harbor, etc. so that the sun rises over it. For example, I have a world where the sun rises over the beach and the city hall faces toward the sunrise.

Avoid having lots overlap onto roads as it can cause routing problems. The easiest way to get them lined up perfectly is to check mark the box that says "align to grid", turn the grid on, and place the intersections, roads, and lots using the grids lines. If you pull a road perfectly straight, between the grid lines, the line in the center of the road stays green. If you pull it at an angle, the line in the center turns blue. Of course, sometimes you want the roads to be curved. If so, it's easiest to turn the grid off then adjust the road how you want it to be. I believe that, if "align to grid" is check marked, players can add lots to the world by sliding them along the road. Someone else may know for sure if that is correct.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 3:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
I believe that what they mean about the sun is setting the clock to high to see where the sun rises and sets in your world. Then, if you wanted to, you could orient a lot, beach, harbor, etc. so that the sun rises over it. For example, I have a world where the sun rises over the beach and the city hall faces toward the sunrise.

Avoid having lots overlap onto roads as it can cause routing problems. The easiest way to get them lined up perfectly is to check mark the box that says "align to grid", turn the grid on, and place the intersections, roads, and lots using the grids lines. If you pull a road perfectly straight, between the grid lines, the line in the center of the road stays green. If you pull it at an angle, the line in the center turns blue. Of course, sometimes you want the roads to be curved. If so, it's easiest to turn the grid off then adjust the road how you want it to be. I believe that, if "align to grid" is check marked, players can add lots to the world by sliding them along the road. Someone else may know for sure if that is correct.
when you say "align to grid" do you mean snap to grid?
Scholar
#6 Old 22nd Jul 2016 at 5:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lloyd118
when you say "align to grid" do you mean snap to grid?

Yes, you're right. Sorry to use the wrong terminology. I meant to check the "Activate" box under "Snap to Grid".
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 12:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lloyd118
Ok so I have done a lot of my world before reading that you should apperntly align the grid to the sun before building anything.

The grid is just a rotatable tool for laying roads, lots etc., in CAW.

I think what was meant is that you should rotate your heightmap to the sun before building or placing trees and decor. This will allow you to decide where the sun rises and sets in relation to your world. For example, do you want the sun to set over the ocean? Do you want your harbour to get the morning light? Will your sun rise behind the hills? The sun direction is the first thing I would consider when creating the heightmap or sculpting the world.