Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 2:10 AM
Default Thinking of Custom Building New Computer for Sims 3 and got question/s.
Not sure if this section is place for me to ask about question that I wrote as Title.

So, if not, please direct me to section for me to ask about.

Anyway, I'm thinking/researching/trying to decide to Building New Custom Computer by myself.

And I got wondering about which components' specification will be required, if I Install "Sims 3 Base Game" and "All 9 EPs".

Bottom Specifications are the one that I have currently have ideas about:
Quote:
OS: Should probably be Windows 10, since Windows 7 no longer selling in stores
CPU: Intel 6th Generation (Skylake): i3/i5/i7?
RAM: Probably 4GB or more
GPU: nVIdia GeForce 10xx Series (I don't think all of "Sims 3 Base Game" and "All 9 EPs", can be run with integrated GPU)
MANUFACTURER/MODEL: Custom Built By Me

Information 1:
1. This PC will be only used for:
Quote:
- Creating Custom Worlds using CAW
- Install "Sims 3 Base Game" and "All 9 EPs" using Origin
- Play "Sims 3 Base Game" and "All 9 EPs" using Origin
- Play test all those Custom Worlds that I made using CAW using, "Sims 3 Base Game" and "All 9 EPs"

Can anyone help me with this?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
If this computer used only for The Sims 3 game then you do not need more than 8Gb RAM, but you will be wanting really fast RAM. Try 8GB DDR4 1866Mhz. You also not need more than Directx 9.0c, so I would avoid the monstrosity Windows 10 and buy Windows 7 64-Bit copy online.

Because The Sims 3 game more heavy on CPU and RAM, you do not need a 10xx series GeForce card. A GTX 750Ti @ 1GB VRAM really cheap and powerful enough, but if budget allows try go for GTX 970 @ 4GB VRAM.

Processor try maybe Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4Ghz and combine with 512GB SSD 7200RPM.
Thanks for reply.

If this computer used only for The Sims 3 game then you do not need more than 8Gb RAM, but you will be wanting really fast RAM. Try 8GB DDR4 1866Mhz.

Processor try maybe Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4Ghz
Wait, a sec. I thought only 1151 Socket, aka Generation 6 Motherboard has DDR4 RAM? Am I wrong about it?

You also not need more than Directx 9.0c, so I would avoid the monstrosity Windows 10 and buy Windows 7 64-Bit copy online.
The problem about above in USA is, no retail store (I don't own credit card, so can't buy anything in online store) sells Retail Version Windows 7 anymore, only "Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM" and I don't think Windows 7 Professional isn't needed, unless I use it's feature? Right?

Because The Sims 3 game more heavy on CPU and RAM, you do not need a 10xx series GeForce card. A GTX 750Ti @ 1GB VRAM really cheap and powerful enough, but if budget allows try go for GTX 970 @ 4GB VRAM.
Above, does "GTX 750Ti @ 1GB VRAM" requires less power (I mean in Wattage)? Cause the retail store I usually go, it only has single product that says "sold out" for "GTX 750Ti @ 1GB VRAM". Also, I saw the memory problem of GTX 970, Is it ok to go for that?

combine with 512GB SSD 7200RPM
Is it ok to use SSD? Cause I think I read some problems regarding to SSD. Also, I will be using this PC once a week, cause I have laptop that I use it as main (Just an Everyday Laptop for web surfing and using Office Products: MS Office/etc.).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 6:57 AM
Sorry, this my fault. I had mean say i7 6700k @ 3.4Ghz. Got them confused. Your information correct though, all DDR4 boards support only FCLGA1151.
Oh, ok, cool.

I would no buy OEM version. OEM version does not come with any Microsoft support (Microsoft does still support 7) and intended for third-party custom PC manufacturers (AlienWare, CyberTron, etc). I suggested 7 because operating system most stable of Windows 64-Bit offerings and less complications likely arise with any OS updates. I have hear stories in past time from others where TS2 and TS3 games no work really well with Windows 10, but I cannot say from experience as I use only 8.1 and 7.
I think I also have heard about those stories, the only problem is, that in USA, they no longer sell Windows 7, as I mentioned above, that's why I talked about using Windows 10 above. So, for OS, I have to think about what to do.

750Ti uses average of 60W at given time, and requires minimum 300W power supply. 970 uses 145W average and requires minimum 500w power supply.
Oh, ok. Let's see.... The store that I usually go to, it only has 2GB VRAM for 750 Ti, so, I guess I would be buying those.

The problem with 970 memory has to do with design of card. Memory in 970 partitioned into two parts, one 3.5Gb and other 512MB. Depending on application priority, game can make use of either partition 1 or 2. In case of TS3, if run on highest settings, it use partition 2 of 3.5GB as TS3 consumes average 570MB in highest settings. This partitioning should not, in theory, cause much problem for you at all.
Oh, ok.

I hear of same issues where excessive writing can cause bottleneck, but I have no seen any evidence of such problem. However, TS3 does more reading than it does writing and will much benefit from faster transfer and Red/Write rate of SSD. Load times can be reduced by 30 seconds or more with SSD making game startup no tedious as much.
What I heard about problem/s was/were different kind of problem. I heard something about if there is no power for certain amount/period of time, the content in SSD will be erased or something. But not sure if that was also one of problem. Have you ever heard about those?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 10:17 AM
I would go for Windows 10 for the OS, unless you have a particular reason to want to stick with 7 or 8. We know that TS3 works with Windows 10 at the moment; while it's possible that a future update will change that, that could happen anyway with new drivers, hardware etc (and as always happens, clever people will figure out a workaround). Buying Windows 7 now will limit you in the future, since although it's possible that current applications will stop working with Windows 10 at some point in the future, it's guaranteed that new applications will not work with Windows 7 in the near future, meaning you'd probably wind up having to upgrade in the next few years anyway.

The one caveat I would add is that you should do some research for yourself about whether or not CAW has any significant problems in Windows 10, because it's much less supported and less robust than TS3 itself.

(Whenever a new major version of Windows comes out, there are always people who want to stick with the older one for as long as they can, and that's completely fine - but as general advice for someone who otherwise doesn't care either way, that approach tends to create more problems than it solves)

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 5:32 PM Last edited by csg5vbe3argf : 27th Oct 2016 at 6:26 PM.
Thanks for reply.

Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
I would go for Windows 10 for the OS, unless you have a particular reason to want to stick with 7 or 8.
I think I mentioned above replies, my main computer is Laptop that I use for everyday stuffs (Forgot to say, it is Windows 10 Laptop with 6th Generation i3 CPU), not for games. And I never had Desktop PC on my life time (Only had Laptop With Windows Vista/XP/7 for Sims 3 base game and all EPs).

I think I mentioned above that, in USA, where I live, there is no online/retail store that sells Retail Copy of Windows 7 or 8, we only sell OEM Version of Windows 7/8/8.1 and "OEM/Retail Copy of Windows 10". So, I have no reason not to go for Windows 10.

Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
The one caveat I would add is that you should do some research for yourself about whether or not CAW has any significant problems in Windows 10, because it's much less supported and less robust than TS3 itself.
I would do that. Hope the CAW also works with Windows 10.

*P.S: Addition after searching web right now - They have 1.69 version of CAW. Hope that works on Windows 10.