Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 1:29 PM
Hi lizy1952,

which tut do you need?
I could try to translate in german if you want.
Paste the link of your wanted tut in your next comment.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 8th Dec 2009 at 11:38 PM
I have an issue, and I can't get very far.
the Object Workshop does not load and I don't know why/

A frog and her pig went by the lake to see a cow eating a cool turtle in peace on a farm in a magic balloon which greatly bored its baby star tree and called it dad.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#28 Old 9th Dec 2009 at 1:10 AM
You must have TS2 installed for Object Workshop to load the clonable objects. And also make sure to look in Extras/Preferences to verify the paths are correct to the game files.
Test Subject
#29 Old 9th Dec 2009 at 2:10 AM
I double-checked. It was in the right place and I do have TS2 installed, it's just really confusing because the C:\ drive was too filled up so I got a D:\ drive. This was way after I got TS2. But the TS2 folder is in the D:\ drive now, and I'm not sure the game realizes it was moved.

A frog and her pig went by the lake to see a cow eating a cool turtle in peace on a farm in a magic balloon which greatly bored its baby star tree and called it dad.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#30 Old 9th Dec 2009 at 3:45 AM
If you have moved the game location since installing SimPE or if it is in a different location than normal and SimPE doesn't recognize it. Then go into preferences for each ep you have and browse to the correct folder location. You only need object workshop if you want to clone EA/Maxis objects. If you want to convert cc you simply need to open the packages.
Test Subject
#31 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 4:48 AM
Default Just a little help
If anyone is willing, Please may you send me a link to the instructions on how to download SIMpe. I have tried searching for it and everywhere I search on MTS, it's everything but that. I have just started sims. Six months into it to be exact. I want to learn and rather stuck everywhich way I turn.

Thank you.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#32 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 5:23 AM Last edited by ellacharm3d : 31st Dec 2009 at 2:05 AM. Reason: corrected link
S3PE for TS3 is here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=604 (I *think* this is the one you wanted, since you're in the Sims 3 Creation forum)

But, just to be clear, SimPE for TS2 is here: http://sims.ambertation.de/ (also clickable on the auto-link - the dotted underline)
Test Subject
#33 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 1:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
s3pe for TS3 is here: http://ww.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=604 (I *think* this is the one you wanted, since you're in the Sims 3 Creation forum)

But, just to be clear, SimPE for TS2 is here: http://sims.ambertation.de/ (also clickable on the auto-link - the dotted underline)

Thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 10:26 PM
Does this tutorial works to hair, clothing and accesoriies from Sims 2 to Sims 3?

Thanks
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#35 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 11:32 PM
Somewhat yes, I suppose. You still need SimPE to get meshes and textures from TS2 items to use for TS3. There is a tutorial in CAS for creating hair, I would go take a look at that one.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Somewhat yes, I suppose. You still need SimPE to get meshes and textures from TS2 items to use for TS3. There is a tutorial in CAS for creating hair, I would go take a look at that one.

Thanks so much for your help! :lovestruc

I'm desesperate to know how i can convert clothes and accesories from Sims 2 to Sims 3 !
Test Subject
#37 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 4:33 PM
Help
when i extract a ts2 package file from mts2, it brings up about 10. Which one shall i use?

Thx, Benjystick

Sims 3 rules!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#38 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 4:37 PM
Benjystick - Um, you mean when you extract a zip/rar, it brings up multiple package files? If you're wanting to convert something you'll need to know which of those files you want to convert... but you will need the original creator's permission if you plan on sharing your conversion.
Inventor
Original Poster
#39 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 11:14 AM
I am very pleased with the conversion objects that have been uploaded. Great work!
A point of concern however, is that objects from the Sims 2 are rather high polycount, compairing them with TS3 objects.
In this tiptorial from Hysterical Paroxysm, is explained why it is so important, to keep polycount as low as possible:

Tiptorial Low-Poly 3D Modelling - How and Why
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=289974

A way to reduce the polycount of the TS2 object, could be to divide the object temperarely into seperate parts/groups, and delete faces/polygons that never will be visible, like how it is explained in HP's tiptorial.
After you have imported the TS2 object in Milkshape, make duplicates of it, and on each duplicate delete everything but one part of the mesh. e.g. for a table, make one duplicate for the legs and one for the table top. Faces that are on the top and bottom of the legs will never be visible and can be deleted.
Maybe the flat surface of the tabletop could be replaced with a simple plane (=2 polygons!)
This means you will have to adjust the UVmapping of the table top, but that usually already is nessecairy anyway.
A lot of TS2 objects have their parts UVmapped in halves, with one halve placed mirrored over the other, which will make even patterning in TS3 very difficult.
Having your object divided in different groups will make adjusting the UVmap much easier.
When your done eliminating and UVmapping, regroup the duplicates in onto one group again.

Take a look at how the TS3 objects are created can be very usefull too. Not every detail of the TS2 object needs to be meshed, some could be painted on with the base texture.

Well, thats enough for now. Please do not think bad of me, I am not complaining about high polycounts in the uploaded objects, my PC can handle them perfectly.
But with that new Medieval challenge on the way, a lot more creators will look at TS2 objects to make something for TS3, and I thought this polycount issue thing needed to be mentioned.

Happy creating, Coco
Mad Poster
#40 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 11:48 AM
@ Coco: That's interesting, I've been making CAS items for a while but only just started learning to make objects, and uploaded a few TS2-to-TS3 conversions here the other day. In the acceptance PM for one of them, the vampire bed, the moderator said that the poly count (2860) was high and to take care regarding that when making objects. Being used to CAS items, where such a polycount would be considered quite low - for instance, apparently a hair is considered OK up to about 6000 polys - I was shocked that the polycount for the bed was considered high. There must be a big difference in the maximum polys acceptable for objects from those for CAS parts, then.

What IS the ideal maximum for polys in TS3 objects, such as furniture? I'm enjoying learning to make objects and want to make more but don't want to just turn out a load of too-high-poly items!

Also, thanks for the link for HP's Low-Poly modelling tiptorial - I hadn't seen that before and it's very useful!
Inventor
Original Poster
#41 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 1:08 PM
I love your creations EsmeraldaF, both CASparts and objects !!

[QUOTE=EsmeraldaF]

What IS the ideal maximum for polys in TS3 objects, such as furniture?

QUOTE]

Ideal is as little as possible without losing details.

You can compare the polycount of the new object with the polycount of a simulair TS3 object, with Tools->SelPolycount in Milkshape.

Here is an example (its is a caspart, but will work the same for objects)

As you can see in the picture, that although one of the other groups is selected and that GEOM00 is not even visible, you can still read the polycount for each indevidual group, using the Group Polygons box.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#42 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 1:05 PM
I basically just let EA be my guide when it comes to trying to figure out how many polys would be reasonable for an object I make. Based on a couple of EA bed poly counts it seems like your vampire bed poly count is reasonable and lower than at least a couple of base game bed poly counts.

For special items, especially ones where a downloader is unlikely to have more than one instance of it in the game at a time, I think it's reasonable to add a few more polys than the EA item it's cloned on. I probably wouldn't add more than a couple hundred but that's just my opinion and others might thinks that's too many while some would add even more.

For things that someone will probably end up having several instances of in the game at once, like a dining chair for example, I think it's a little more important to keep the poly count as similar to an equivalent EA object as possible. A 3000 poly statue that is only used once in a home is a bit different than a 3000 poly dining chair where someone might put six in a single room.

And if an item ends up being much over a similar EA item you can always just tell people it's a little high poly and let them make their own decision about whether to use it in their game.

Anyway, that's my opinion

eta: you can easily see poly counts even for undecompiled items by using the MODL/MLOD button in the ObjTool. It lists the total vertices and faces at the bottom.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 2:03 PM
Thanks very much, Coco and Orange, for your advice! I'll have to make a closer study of what poly counts the base game items have - I did note that the vampire bed was lower than some (even though it's a complex item with a few extra bits to it than a normal bed), so was surprised it was considered to be high. Will try to eliminate those extra polys wherever possible!
Field Researcher
#44 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 6:36 PM
Gosh, everything's so difficult!I'm new to all that meshing world, from where should i start studying?
Alchemist
#45 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 12:29 AM
The tutorials section has a very comprehensive tutorial on making an object for S3 here:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...t=375349&page=1

Test Subject
#46 Old 20th Oct 2010 at 8:34 PM
does the game have to be installed locally ?
Inventor
Original Poster
#47 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 1:57 PM
Answer in post 28

Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
You must have TS2 installed for Object Workshop to load the clonable objects. And also make sure to look in Extras/Preferences to verify the paths are correct to the game files.
Alchemist
#48 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 12:46 AM
For some reason I thought I posted in answer to that question...lol...another blonde moment for me I guess. It's good to see you Coco
Mad Poster
#49 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 9:34 PM
Um, hello thread that's almost gone two years without a post.
How do I export LIFO files from SimPE? The regular txtr images are way too small to use as the biggest it 128x128 but the LIFO files don't give me any options to export them and their previews just show small chequerboard rectangles which I assume means the files are transparent?

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Sockpuppet
#50 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 10:04 PM
no, those are 2 seperate files(512x512 and 1024x1024)
you should be able to find them with Simpe's finder, type the same texture name
Page 2 of 3