Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 7:38 AM Last edited by sarah*rose : 19th Jun 2009 at 10:01 AM.
What things do you like to cook or bake?
Okay, so what does everyone like to cook the most? Do you like sweet or savoury? Any particular type of cuisine you enjoy?

Things I like to make are mostly main meals such as pasta dishes, pizza, soups, focaccia bread, chicken and a little bit of beef & fish, etc. I also love potatoes cooked in various methods. I’m partial to Italian style food. I love fresh basil (or pesto), fresh garlic, tomatoes… yum!

That said, I like the occasional sweet thing like muffins or a great recipe I recently discovered, baked donuts! Mud cake is also nice every now and then.

Remember, being paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not after you.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 1:08 PM
Oh i'm just learning how to cook. And it's mostly russian dish :3 ( potato pancakes, "borsh", buckwheat with mushrooms and stuff).
I also enjoy making pasta, pizza and chicken meat with cheese.
Anyway, tasty thread. I even feel hungry after reading those receipts
it might be because of the smell outside too ( someone is making fried potatoes).
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 12:55 PM
I love to cook and I especially love coming up with my own healthy, low calorie recipes.

I once made this Tuna, Pumpkin and green beans bake, it was so nice.

Although, I must admit my guilty pleasure is baking Banana Cake xD
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WinterPlum
Oh i'm just learning how to cook. And it's mostly russian dish :3 ( potato pancakes, "borsh", buckwheat with mushrooms and stuff).
I also enjoy making pasta, pizza and chicken meat with cheese.
Anyway, tasty thread. I even feel hungry after reading those receipts
it might be because of the smell outside too ( someone is making fried potatoes).

lol, the only time I ever smell "cooking smells" around here is when our next door neighbor is cooking something strange.

Fried potatoes? I love potatoes, they are so versatile.

Quote:
I love to cook and I especially love coming up with my own healthy, low calorie recipes.

I once made this Tuna, Pumpkin and green beans bake, it was so nice.

Although, I must admit my guilty pleasure is baking Banana Cake xD

I love just throwing things together and having your "creation" turn out great! I wouldn't say banana cake is anything to feel guilty about... I'm going to make 2 cakes tomorrow. A Walnut loaf with lemon syrup, and a Mud cake. Both are great recipes... I usually halve the mud cake recipe though since I'm usually the only one who eats it. The walnut loaf is also really nice, especially the day after.

Test Subject
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 12:05 AM
the name "Mud cake" always surprised me :3
I have to try it someday )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 2:59 PM
Ha, yeah, "mud" doesn't sound very appetizing to me. But "mud" cakes are moist, delicious and easier to make than sponge cakes, which are a pain to get right.

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 1:02 PM
I can cook pretty good but just no exciting things.
Here is a recipe for my fav cake.(you wont probably like it unless you like oranges,carrott cake,or those little coconut shreds)
Here's what you need:1 carrott cake mix(follow all insructions on the back of box including water etc.)
Icing:3 oranges
1/2 bag of coconut shreds
Squeese the oranges into a bowl
Throw in coconut shreds
Mix(you know the rest unlless you are stupid )

Screw the soviet union.British people take us over with 3vil cream filled bisciuts.
Toast scares me! AHHHH!!! i srem for stpid reasons!!1! ^_^ Pie is like people.only pie dosen't destrOY ECONIMIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(
Inventor
#8 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 5:08 PM
I love to cook, and I'm pretty damn good at it...no false modesty here! I love to make desserts - one of my favourite things to cook is vanilla slice - nothing beats proper homemade vanilla custard - and icecream is another of my specialities.

I also like to cook pasta dishes, breads, cakes, biscuits, sweets and anything vegetarian.

Rather than fill this thread with recipes, I might (hoping that nobody objects) start some threads for different types of foods.

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Forum Resident
#9 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 3:09 PM
Hello. I'm new here.
What do I like to cook? Things that let you get creative. I consider cooking a form of art (kinda) and the best feeling is when you are inspired to put stuff together and it turns out to be a yummy food in the end!
Pasta is a good example yeah. The ways you can vary it is just endless, I don't think I have ever cooked the same kind twice. It also strongly depends on what is available at home at the moment :D
I like cooking meat dishes. And like to make those all-in-one type of food that you can just throw in the oven with some cheese sprinkled on top, what do you call these in English? They are easy to do and always tasty.
I'm not good with cakes and sweets though, my hubby does them a lot better :D
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 4:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lemoncandy
Hello. I'm new here.
What do I like to cook? Things that let you get creative. I consider cooking a form of art (kinda) and the best feeling is when you are inspired to put stuff together and it turns out to be a yummy food in the end!
Pasta is a good example yeah. The ways you can vary it is just endless, I don't think I have ever cooked the same kind twice. It also strongly depends on what is available at home at the moment :D
I like cooking meat dishes. And like to make those all-in-one type of food that you can just throw in the oven with some cheese sprinkled on top, what do you call these in English? They are easy to do and always tasty.
I'm not good with cakes and sweets though, my hubby does them a lot better :D

I love pasta too, and cook pasta dishes all the time.

Do you mean a casserole? I love those - so easy!

Overall I prefer making savoury things to sweet.

Forum Resident
#11 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 5:08 PM
Yes, probably casserole is the name. We are similar then

By the way I just made some muffins and managed to foul them up again, typical..
They didn't grow upwards but rather outwards, oozing off the baking form. Why is that? Too much sugar?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Aug 2009 at 8:49 AM
Hmm. Does the recipe use butter? I have read that muffins turn out better when you use oil instead of butter. Maybe you can post the recipe?

Forum Resident
#13 Old 14th Aug 2009 at 6:54 PM
Can't remember the exact recipe I found it somewhere on the web. it used oil though, not butter. Doesn't matter

I forgot to say I love chinese food. So many tastes mingling together. But it's hard to create that kind of food if you don't have the right ingredients.
So I order when I want some Only thing I can safely make is mixed fried rice :P
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Oct 2009 at 4:34 AM
This is a handy link: Making Muffins. I tend to have a bad habit of over-mixing. I still haven't found the "perfect muffin" recipe, sadly.

Forum Resident
#15 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 10:34 PM
The link is very helpful, thank you! Now I know what I did wrong :D
Test Subject
#16 Old 24th Jan 2011 at 2:50 AM
I would love to see if anyone has any good vegan recipes. Thanks xoxo
Inventor
#17 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 4:47 AM
Some vegan recipes for you -

Tomato Vegetable Curry
½ medium cauliflower, cut into small florets
1-2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, diced
1 cup frozen green beans
½ cup frozen peas
1 x 400 g can diced tomatoes
2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cloves garlic
1-2 teaspoons crushed ginger
1-2 teaspoons cumin
1-2 teaspoons coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼-½ teaspoon turmeric
1 x 400g can lwnril
Pepper, to taste

Spray a large frypan with non-stick spray and cook onion, garlic and ginger over a medium-high heat until translucent.
Add the spices and stir for approximately 1 minute, then deglaze with a little water and reduce the heat.
Add the tomatoes, including juice, and the tomato paste.
Add the remaining vegetables, and if necessary, add a little extra water to the pan.
Add lentils, cover and simmer until vegetables are cooked.
Serve with rice.

Laura's Vegetable Soup
1 large red onion, diced
2 carrots, finely chopped
4-5 sticks celery, plus leaves
1 x 400 g can diced tomatoes, undrained
½ cup dried TVP
2 teaspoons each dried chives, parsley, oregano and basil
1-2 teaspoons vegetable salt
Pepper, to taste

Place the vegetables in a large saucepan or stockpot, cover with water and bring to the boil.
Add herbs, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours or until vegetables are cooked through and TVP is tender.

Laura's Vegetarian Chilli

1 tablespoon oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (optional)
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 jalapeno chillies, finely chopped
1 x 420 g can brown lentils, drained and rinsed
1 x 420 g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 x 425 g can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper

1 tablespoon oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (optional)
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 jalapeno chillies, finely chopped
1 x 420 g can brown lentils, drained and rinsed
1 x 420 g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 x 425 g can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper

Enjoy :D

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Test Subject
#18 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 1:57 AM
Thank you soo much for finding these for me! I tried each of them and they were great! Heres a cookie recipe.

Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies
Ingredients
1 (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (18-ounce) box moist chocolate cake mix
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the cake mix. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls. Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioner's sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and "gooey." Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 5:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by afisher4747
Thank you soo much for finding these for me! I tried each of them and they were great! Heres a cookie recipe.

Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies
Ingredients
1 (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (18-ounce) box moist chocolate cake mix
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the cake mix. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls. Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioner's sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and "gooey." Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, if desired.

That sounds good!I might try it.

Don't be someone's...Down-time,spare-time,part-time,or sometime.
If they can't be there for you all the time,then they're not even worth your time!!!