Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 12:57 PM
Thank you Phaenoh. This helped me alot. I'm not sure if I'm gonna make it on time but I'm gonna try.

Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
Check out this thread, lokaina, http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=239934
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 5:14 AM
Hey I was wondering, can a group project be uploaded as an entry in the challenge?

Find me on YouTube!
Flabaliki - General gaming
TheSimSupply - Videos all about The Sims!
Field Researcher
#28 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 6:12 AM
My curiosity is peaked. Are these challenges open to anyone? I haven't figured out meshing yet, but I really enjoy recoloring. I'm a good girl and give proper credit to those meshers that let me "borrow" their creations!:D
Instructor
#29 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 6:55 AM
Yes it is open to anyone! I love recolours can't wait to see what you come up with Kitty.

I would like it if someone answered my question though lol

Find me on YouTube!
Field Researcher
#30 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 5:11 PM
Great!Victorian London!God bless the queen!:DMust do research.Thank god I have 4 magazines about the Victorian age!Can't wait!

"What's the worst that I can say?
Things are better if I stay.
So long and goodnight,so long and goodnight."-Helena,My Chemical Romance
(( ))
// \\
Test Subject
#31 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 9:54 AM
Finally, a competition about my home - town.
Good ol' London. Maybe this time i'll actually finish my project, instead of discarding it in my recycle bin without a backwards glance...

A Smile a day keeps Goopy away.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#32 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 1:06 PM
Flabaliki, certainly.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
#33 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 11:07 PM
Cool! thats great news :P

Find me on YouTube!
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 2:14 AM
Interesting. Just me thinking out loud.

While I think it AWESOME groups can submit projects, can you realistically compare a group project against individual projects? I think it would warrant it's own category in a sense to be compared against other group projects.

Assuming the uploads are all HIGH QUALITY and EXCEPTIONAL (subjective words)...Comparing a project created by a group to a project of fewer creations by an individual would be strange. Just as comparing a project created by an individual who has a combination of creations to those created by a group (of several people who worked together) would also be a simplistic and warped comparison.

Will group projects only be compared against other group projects? If so, if only 1 group project is entered what will happen to it as a way of judging?

I thought the answer would be...Not for the Challenges! Interesting indeed. I'm dying to know how it will be compared to the other challenge creations?

Creativity is giving the soul permission to leap beyond the boundaries of the ordinary!
~*~Stephanie~*~
Instructor
#35 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 3:07 AM
I'm thinking not the quantity of the project but the quality of the individual lots. I thought the answer would be no too but seeing as it is not I'm going to say that they will judge the quality and playability of the lots.

Find me on YouTube!
Instructor
#36 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 3:08 AM
I tend to agree with you in part Steph...I think it would be hard to compete against a group of creators - but at the same time I don't think it would be any different than posting items in the challenge that use other people's custom content such as when building lots.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#37 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 12:22 PM
The main redeeming factor for group entries I think is that there's only a month - which isn't enough time to assemble a large group of creators, plan, and create a big project. As such most group entries will be small collaborations - only two or three creators - which reduces the advantage significantly.

Also, as we judge by exceptional...ness... rather than just quality, it's very possible that an excellent entry by one person would be shortlisted where a brilliant entry by five people wouldn't; as of course doing something amazing on one's own is much more exceptional than doing it with others.

Instructor
#38 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 1:20 PM
That makes perfect sense whiterider....thank you for pointing that out.
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 2:15 PM Last edited by StephSim : 31st Mar 2008 at 2:23 PM.
Ahhh! I asked because when groups submit projects it may be intimidating for individuals. I also think it is just as intimidating when supercreator (as I tend to be when my creative juices are flowing) goes wild and creates a conglomerate for an entry. What is important to know is that all entries are relevant and groups will have the same chance as individuals if being compared to one another. The more entries the better as it is fun to see what people come up with. It is wonderful to see a variety of creators/creations in the short list to build up interest in the Challenges.

Time constraints do make sense though, because 1 month (actually a little more than a month giving the voting process revealing the main themes earlier) is really not a lot of time to work in groups. Smaller groups would be more realistic and given the right partner can be a very good idea! Imagine what a small group can come up with with the members are in sync!

Whiterider...You said:
"exceptional...ness... rather than just quality"
Did you mean quantity? Of course for me, "exceptionalness" (Great Word!) and quality go hand in hand. I think in order to deem something exceptional (surpassing the norm) it must be of great quality (stands out in some way be it great or small). On the other hand you probably mean quality as "superior" and that WOULD change the idea of what is viewed. I do like the use of the word "Exceptionalness" which implies that you have done something that is different and stands out above and beyond what is normally done.

When I get a PM about ideas for challenges I always encourage people to submit their ideas and to perhaps think of a new spin on their idea to make it a little more interesting (in this case "exceptional" would be a better word). If you can focus on submitting your best work understanding that it's not ALL about winning, but sharing ideas for a common theme, then I think more people will be into creating for the Challenges. It would also be great to understand how the lots are chosen for the short list and to KNOW that not being chosen is great too as you put yourself out there and actually shared your vision. An explanation of how lots are selected for the short list would be fascinating. It could also go a long way to making the Challenges more opened to EVERYONE!

Creativity is giving the soul permission to leap beyond the boundaries of the ordinary!
~*~Stephanie~*~
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 3:24 PM
i am going to try and make this my first

funney250 i makes homes for request so just ask
Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 2:18 AM
Funney!
We look forward to your creation(s) for the Challenge!

~*~Stephanie~*~
sugarfree sugarette
#42 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 11:13 PM Last edited by kamikitten : 2nd Apr 2008 at 7:20 AM.
Huge congrats to the sci-fi winners! :D

Victorian London... what a challenge, I love everything about it! XD

"If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."
Test Subject
#43 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 5:05 PM
Help!
I really need help on how to create good sims clothes! Where can i find a good tutorial? thanks
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#44 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 5:17 PM
See the tabs at the top of the page? Try 'Create' > 'Bodyshop Skinning'
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#45 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by StephSim
Did you mean quantity?

Nope. The best example of what I meant is in the Ancients challenge - where you'll notice Phaenoh's Parthenon wasn't just given the exceptional award due to being bloody gorgeous; but also because every other upload she had at the time was clothing. Certainly quality is a huge part of exceptionality (new word! I don't much like exceptionalness ), and quantity isn't so much - although of course making loads of awesome creations in a month is more exceptional than making one - what I was trying to get at is that all the other factors are taken into account too.

XxXMCR4LRHXxX, everything you need is here: http://www.modthesims2.com/wiki.php?title=MTS2:Create

Lab Assistant
#46 Old 8th Apr 2008 at 7:33 PM
All these challenges have passed by and this one have actually took my eye. Its going to be very interesting! Cant Wait! Well done SiFi winners! Good Luck Everyone who enters! XX

Life is a curious game..
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 12:37 AM
Sorry to post twice in a row, but after my previous post I actually built my entry and its 99% complete in structure. But that’s what my thought was, if I build a house lets say for example Will it also be judged on interior decor when the main thing was the structure of the build? Also this is my first entry in a challenge and I wondered are we also judged on the information and depth and passion we portray in the post? Such as talking about Victorian England, why we chose to build or create this particular thing and also the background info we give on our own build?

Also I would just like to add in response to the previous posts, StephSim I know where your coming from and when I first signed up to the site and looked at challenges I thought..
….(PLEASE DONT PEANALIZE ME FOR MY FIRST IMPRESSIONS THAY HAVE CHANGED!)….
'Yeah right the people who are really 'chummy' with the mods or who know them or the mods themselves will only ever win!' I honestly thought it was a fix, but then looking at all previous challenges some entries have been by newbie’s and people who haven’t even posted before. I personally would also like to know how each individual entry is judged, as we are all critics and believe our own creation is exceptional and we all do put so much effort in. However I don’t actually think creations would just be disregarded as they are not up to scratch with others. Well those are my thought anyway.

Life is a curious game..
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 9:11 AM
I had better get a move on if I want to submit my entry on time.
I think Victorian London is a great challenge idea.
I love building houses, gives me something extra, well... challenging. :P
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 5:22 PM
Can I use other peoples custom content to decorate? Do I need to include it in the upload or can I just take pics of the decorated house? Or are you actually going to download the entire thing and look at it in game? Or just judge it on the quality of the pictures? Please can some1 reply. I get the feeling no1 can can be bothered to answer me where ever I go.

Life is a curious game..
Test Subject
#50 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 7:41 PM
Whoop whoop! I've been waiting for this challenge or theme to come up, my one and only neighbourhood is purely Victorian themed so this i perfect for me, I've never posted anything before but if I've got time I may try and learn myself a new skill.

In the meantime, good luck to everyone and enjoy! I personally love this era and am sure some of you will come up with something phenomenal.

Fight Prejudice
Fight the Ban!
Page 2 of 4