Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 6:17 AM
Default UVMapper or User Fail? I'm so lost!
Hello all,

I started creating my first object, and have run into a snag. I started in Milkshape, but when the time came to load it into UVMapper, I had a problem. I selected: File->Load Model.->(My Model). But instead of the usual square with a line through it, I got this: .

I figured maybe I had just made an extra-complicated mesh, so I just ignored it. But when I would try and move a piece, this would happen:

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/...ng?t=1330928082 .

It would start highlighting and moving the background boxes too!

This is my first try at object creation. Yes, I know I have probably bitten off more than I can chew. But if somebody out there can help me understand where I messed up, it would help me greatly!

Thanks everyone!

~Amaya
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 9:05 AM
You do just have a complicated mesh. When you make new faces and shapes in Milkshape, it maps them basically as a grid, which is what you see behind the smaller shaped in UVMapper. Press Ctrl+G (there's also a menu item, but I forget where) to select just one groups of your mesh - that way you can move/resize/manipulate sections which overlay each other without picking up unwanted extra faces in the process.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
#3 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 12:49 AM
When you mesh an object you should keep all the parts of the mesh separate until you UV mapped it.

Then import all the parts together into UV mapper and go to ' Select by/Groups' all your separate parts will show up and it's easier to map them. It's a good idea to name your parts beforehand.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Alchemist
#4 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 2:35 AM
Or you could use Milkshape to map with. It doesn't have a lot of frills but it *is* very very easy to learn.