Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Mar 2017 at 12:37 AM
Default Where is the SimPE scenegrapher?
I hope this isn't a misplaced question. I know that scenegrapher is supposed to be under tools>object tools> , but I don't even have a greyed-out option. The only thing I can find in my SimPE is the scengraph finder, which I suspect is not the same thing.

I've had version 0.7214....installed for years, and never used it except for the neighborhood and sim browsers. About a month ago, I started looking for the scenegrapher after reading Echo's great tutorial, because it seems like the perfect troubleshooting tool for making CC objects. Couldn't find it, so I upgraded to ver 0.7344... using the M&G patch. Still no scenegrapher. And help info has kinda disappeared from Ambertation site. The only changes I've made to my SimPE installation are adding DDS Utilities and this patch; and everything seems to work perfectly - I can even have 3 or 4 open instances simultaneously with no crashes. Oh- and I'm proudly using it in Windows 7 (even though I hate big brother MS, I love Win7).

so I'm wondering: Is it discontinued in the later versions?, Is there something I need to do in preferences ( or a config file to edit) in order to activate it? Is it in a separate download? Have I messed up my installation? Is the scenegraph finder some kind of updated version? and, if so, how to generate a scengraph?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 9th Mar 2017 at 9:34 AM
Nowadays I have Windows 10 but have used Scenegrapher SimPE in Windows 7 for years without problems. The Scenegrapher is located in Tools/Object Tools:

The Scenegrapher window:

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 9th Mar 2017 at 9:47 AM
@clsve
They've already said that the Scenegrapher is greyed out - so they know where it's supposed to be, they just can't use it at all.

@d4RE
The scenegraph finder isn't the same thing as the scenegrapher. I've been using SimPE for years - different versions too -and have never noticed the scenegrapher not being available. Have you tried completely removing SimPE and reinstalling it?
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Mar 2017 at 11:52 PM Last edited by d4RE : 12th Mar 2017 at 1:45 AM. Reason: update to announce problem solved
Default Thank you
Thanks for the responses and confirmation. Guess I'll have to make some backups and reinstall.

Since my first post, I went through SimPE with a fine-tooth comb to make sure I wasn't imagining it. The scenegrapher is just simply not there. I found the simpe.scenegraph.dll (or .package?..can't remember the extension) in the SimPE folder, and tried moving it to the plugins subfolder. That only prevented SimPE from starting up. I suspect that file is corrupted or I screwed the pooch when installing it 6 years ago.

Update: I dug out the original 0.72 installer that I downloaded in 2011 (points for hoarding ) and compared it to one I downloaded from sourceforge a few months ago. The old one was dated 2010, while the one linked from ambertation.de to sourceforge wasdated 3/3/2009. My old one was much smaller, too. Did a fresh install of 0.73.44 and there were LOTS of files in the SimPE folder that I didn't have before. Scenegrapher now appears AND works. My guess is I must have originally downloaded an altered installer from a third party, or it was corrupted but worked well enough to install most of the program. Thanks again for the assistance.
Screenshots