Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 10:52 AM Last edited by smithycpl : 2nd Nov 2007 at 2:52 AM. Reason: minor change in text
Default Tutorial: Beginners Basic BHAV tutorial -in wysiwyg form-
This tutorial i wrote some time ago but i never uploaded it here.
It's a beginners friendly BHAV tutorial that will guide you step by step through the creation of your first sim interaction.
In this tutorial i placed a screenshot for every action that one has to undertake while you are working on it.
With other words, What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG).

Most of this will look somewhat the same as Echo's "Tutorial: Making Your First Custom BHAV" that you can find here.
I strongly suggest you try that one out, it's to my knowledge still the best tutorial around to get started.
However if you do have difficulty's with that one you might want to try out this one.
The difference is this contains easy to follow pictures and guiding text related with what you have to do and see on your screen.
Also in Echo's tut you will find a few more things that you can mod then in this one.
This tut is more of a user friendly version for absolute beginners.

What will you need:

- The latest SimPe: http://sims.ambertation.de/
- The latest CEP recolor file from Numenor: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=92541
- Both files i provided together with this Tutorial: "Both files.rar"
- A free PDF viewer like Foxit: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

What can you learn:

- Adding pie menu options on a object.
- Making changes in various files
- Editing and creating new interactions

Who should try this:

- All those who get stuck on other BHAV tutorials somewhere might want to try this one out.
- Absolute beginners.

Can i get help:

Of course you will get help!
I will follow this up on a regular basis and be happy to answer your questions and guide you where you might be stuck.

Sidenote:

I wrote this tutorial early in 2006 after a request from a few other creators how to make menus on objects.
I later added also a few interactions in it.
There are some small typo's here and there, i apologize for these, and i will be correcting these very soon.

Credits:

- Numenor, Rgiles and Quaxi for the CEP file.
- Echo for all her tuts on BHAV's and for encouraging me to upload this one here.
- Quaxi and everyone who worked for and on SimPe.
- MTS2 staff for providing us a place to share.

All comments, questions and suggestions are very much appreciated!
Good luck!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Basic_BHAV_tutorial_smithycpl.rar (2.23 MB, 1727 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Both files.rar (200.1 KB, 868 downloads) - View custom content

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 11:38 AM
A nice resource for the more visual learners in the modding scene. Thanks for reposting it here.
Scholar
#3 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 11:35 PM
Thanks for posting this tutorial Smithy! I can use all the help I can get.
Test Subject
#4 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 4:13 AM
I did the tutorial, but the object wasn't clickable in the game. I couldn't click on either of them once placed in the game, yours, or the one I built.

Any ideas?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Nov 2007 at 2:49 AM Last edited by smithycpl : 2nd Nov 2007 at 2:58 AM.
Click in the Pie menu strings (TTAs) on the "default lang only" button.
This will set the pie menu to English for every language, you can also fill in every language separate off course.
When you don't do this the non American English game versions will not have a pie menu.
I forgot that as well on mine It's updated now.

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 16th Jun 2008 at 9:01 PM
I hate to ask for help since this tutorial is very visual but as it is, I am having problems. My first is I have all EPs except BV, and until yesterday my SimPE was working. I bought Kitchen & Bath so I had to download a new SimPE. Now Im having trouble following you. I guess each version is somewhat different. My number one problem is finding TGI, from the object data menu under RAW data. Almost the very first thing to do. Its just not on the list. Since I didnt think it was that important I moved on. My next is when I go to Tools, Object Tools, Import Semi Globals. Nothing happens. I waiting for 15 minutes for something to show up in the box but nothing did. I went ahead a clicked scan and uncheck all but there was nothing to uncheck. It just has an hour glass as if trying to load. And this is as far as I got since this was a very important step. Is it something Im doing wrong or is it the version of SimPE I had to download last night? Thanks
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#7 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 12:32 AM
If you can't find the "TGI" group under the RAW tab, that's not a problem, you're probably sorting on something else. Just look for the "0x0007: Interaction Table ID" line and ignore the sections.

When you go to the "Import Semi Globals" tab, you need to select the semi-global group from the drop down list at the top first, then press scan.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 8:16 PM
Ok thanks so very much, selecting the group helped. Im sorry Ive been working on this tutorial, Echos for beginners, a few SimPE getting started ones. Ive finished the SimPE "from the ground up". Also taking Echos advice, getting started on a recoloring tutorial. Just a lot of things to do I guess.

Thanks
Test Subject
#9 Old 21st Aug 2008 at 9:27 PM
Hi, thanks for the tutorial. I just downloaded it, and will have to try it out. Will this work with interactions between Sims?
Thanks
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#10 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 1:03 PM
This tutorial covers sim-to-object interactions, rather than sim-to-sim interactions. That said, you need to understand sim-to-object interactions before you can really understand sim-to-sim interactions, so this sort of tutorial is a good place to start.
Test Subject
#11 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 8:22 PM
hi people sorry to post as this is such and old tutorial but I have tried it and the item is not clickable in game. I tried clicking the default language and commiting it and saving it and going into the game but it is still not clickable... I'm sure that i have copied everything correctly from the screen shots.. Does anyone have any idea why it's not clicking.. I have also made sure that the pie menu functions adult, teen, elder and demo child is selected.

Thank You
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#12 Old 5th Apr 2011 at 1:31 AM
If you've followed the tutorial and it's not working, you need to attach your object so someone can take a look at it.
Instructor
#13 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 10:01 AM
The tutorial is fine, but SimPE don't want to load SemiGlobals?