Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 4:10 PM Last edited by marvine : 5th Sep 2007 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Problem solved :)
Default Door adjacent to a stairs pad gets stuck "in use"
After several weeks working on the often requested animated spiral stairs, I have a properly working package.
But there's still a bug I wasn't able to fix: the stairs are stackable, and can have a wall built around to create a stairwell; but a door placed immediately next to the bottom pad will get stuck "in use" and stay open after the first use, and requires "moveOjects on" to delete it. The issue doesn't happen on the top pad, as long as it's the topmost one - if another level is stacked on it, then the tile is also a bottom pad and the door gets stuck.
I tested it with the testing cheats enabled, but there's no error.

This version was cloned from Targa's "ascension squared" with heavy edits, as far as I remember I just retained his custom "allow intersection" BHAV, because this allowed me to get my wall placement modifications to work; most probably there's a mistake somewhere.

The "init-lo pad" is a custom one (for wall placement), the "hi-pad" uses the default init, but I can't see anything in the differences that would explain the door issue. There are no "lo stubs" because I want to be able to place useable objects under the stairs, and the "hi stubs" use a custom "init-common" so they can both remove the floor tiles and accept walls around.
All the other custom BHAVs are related to the animations (to block the automatic flipping and the blending, and reverse the animation for the right-turn version).

Okay, there most probably was a cleaner way to get to the same results, but to the exception of the door issue it works fine - but well, I'm prepared to do it from scratch (again!!) if needed.

Here's a pic of the stacked stairs, and the file in case somebody is willing to take a look. Any help would be much appreciated.

Marvine and Beosboxboy at InSIMenator.net and Gay Sims Club 2
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 4:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that happen normally with many objects? I've had tons of doors get stuck open, especially in bathrooms, due to the bathtub/toilet/sink being too close to the door.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 4:43 PM Last edited by marvine : 2nd Sep 2007 at 9:37 PM.
Hey HP
I've heard about this - but never noticed the issue, nor did I know that it was related to an object too close to the door. Now it would make sense, since the bottom pad is the lead object... Well in this case, I'll try to add a "lo stub" in the opposite direction with its own init, make it the lead object, and very possibly rework the footprint and routing slots.
Thank you very much for the tip!

EDIT : in a better world this would have worked... So the lead object isn't the culprit, I'll have to look again into what little I understand of the hi and lo pad settings - when my eyes are okay with it
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Sep 2007 at 10:07 PM
Problem solved, thanks to you!!
You were right, and what I tried was uselessly complicated as often. To fix this I just had to move the "lo pad" backwards, away from the place where the doors need to be, and move the practical node forward to keep the object and slots in place.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#5 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 8:47 AM
I actually have an Undiscovered Shiny addressing doors being stuck in use due to lamps or staircase endtiles which prevents it, but Fat Gwilly People have not asked for this yet.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 7:08 PM
Shiny indeed! The issue is pretty silly and annoying, of course you did something about it. Taking my chance and heading to MATY then