Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Apr 2013 at 5:57 PM
Default Sim PE - showing all sims as Unknown with no photo
Hello everyone,

Sorry my first post is a call for help. I have looked through the files and tried doing a search but did not see anything like what I ran into recently.

I admit that it has been a while since I have played SIMS 2 but I was getting back into it over the last few months and everything was going fine until yesterday.

Here is the problem - I open sim PE, go to neighborhood browser, then select sim browser. but instead of the usual view with photos and names of my sims - I get grey boxes instead of the photos and Unknown for everyone's names. Checked a different neighborhood and I get the same thing. NOTE: this was working fine 3 days ago.

In the Veronaville neighborhood I only have 2 young adult sims so in the list of Unknowns I found one of the young adults and pulled up his info. Everything seems to be there, it recognizes his GPA in university, it knows his current wants, his favorite hobby etc... but all relationships are with "unknown" etc... I was too chicken to change anything for him since I assumed there was a glitch with Sim PE. I just exited SimPE without saving any changes.

The computer I play on is dedicated to SIMS2 - nothing else on there and no connection to the internet (so no possibility of a new computer virus)

Was just going to uninstall and reinstall Sim PE but thought I'd check here for a solution before I went through that.

Thanks,
Christine
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 9th Apr 2013 at 8:42 PM
SimPE gets that data from the individual User files in the Characters subfolder of the neighborhood folder. When all of my sims are shown as Unknown, it's usually because SimPE can't access the Characters folder. One of the main reasons that I see that is because I'm trying to access the files inside of a zip file, which SimPE can't access. Another common reason is that some other program has those files locked (the game, bodyshop, etc.); sometimes rebooting will unlock the files.

Make sure that the Characters folder is there, that all of your User packages are in that folder, that the User packages have the same neighborhood prefix (N003_, E001_, etc.) as the neighborhood folder and all of your neighborhood packages, and that the files are all in the 100-700 KB range.

If your User packages are all gone, or if they have all been truncated, then your neighborhood has been destroyed. Do you have a recent backup?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 12:47 AM
Thanks for the info.... from what you said - I am hoping it was just that I tried to open Sim PE a little too soon after exiting the game (thus the game still having those files locked). I do have a recent game backup - just in case. Crossing my fingers that when I log back on tonight that everythng will be back to normal.

Thanks Again.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 2:41 AM
Yep - everything was fine after a reboot. Thanks again, I was worried about having to uninstall and reinstall - sooo glad I don't have to do that.
Site Helper
#5 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 4:54 PM
Good. I'm glad that you got it sorted out.
Inventor
#6 Old 14th Mar 2023 at 12:08 AM
I found this thread when I googled for a solution to this problem. After modifying some Sims and performing Sim Surgery, all the Sims suddenly had potato heads. When briefly played the game (before the regular memory-related crash) the Sims were all right and no weird errors showed up in HoodChecker.
I cleared cache and history and restarted SimPE but I still got potato heads. But what helped for me was go to the menu bar, click on "Extra..." -> uncheck "no meta informations" and restart SimPE. I necro'd this thread to add this information for other googling Simmers.