Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#126 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 12:29 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 20th Sep 2018 at 7:11 PM.
@ShadowMT13. That's great an all that you're able to enjoy the game by ignoring the reality how it's marketed as such, but we can't into this term. People wouldn't be complaining or be 'salty' (as you like to put it) If it weren't for the title it has on the cover. Has The Sims Stories or The Sims Medieval ever receive such a backlash for what it? As far I have seen, no, but it wouldn't be the case If each respectively were TS3 and TS4 (albeit the latter are comparable due to the setting and game mode). I think you really understand what point I'm making, as you shown the understanding why people are mad over it: the way the latest game was marketed, not for what is. I am pleased that you manage so easy to ignore the fact that it is a lackluster sequel and get over it, and find somewhere the appeal in it. Sadly for us, we can't deal with it. And tbh, nothing would change much If we stopped, even with newer players that are veterans will join on the complaining-wagon first trying it. EA does deserve bad reputation with this game, because who knows - we might get another sexual lackluster* (lol, wtf typo? ) that is way-way worse than the all four games of the series, in ways I don't even want to imagine.

And you do have an opinion... just like how anyone has the right to express their conflicting ones and disagree with you. I wouldn't personally call a civil arguing a fight/battle.

zerzavy honestly, all I care most is quality for the content they're pushing game, that kicks in replay value and boost simmer's imagination, it doesn't have to have an overwhelming amount of content. I even think those who keep asking for more content in actually they are demanding in actually for more quality than quantity because they probably aren't aware of it and blame on the [i]amount[/b] that is being pushed on instead. Heck, TS2 has slayed the franchise and by the popular opinion has it goes, it has one of the awesome gameplay topping out of all four games. I'm not concluding that the games that has less stuff-to-do are taken the best out of the best. A game can have less or more content, but was important to make a long-lasting positive impression by bringing on quality in the content regardless in what size measurements they're brought on.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#127 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShadowMT13
Sorry then if I missed the point. I will just ignore this thread further since I don't have much interest in trying to get people to like Sims 4, simply was just sharing my opinion and how I felt on the matter. But they probably won't stop complaining, I just feel bad that they waste all their energy complaining about something that EA probably will not fix instead of not comparing it to other games and trying to enjoy it for what it is.

I think what you were saying would have been taken a lot better if you hadn't immediately referred to people who aren't satisfied with the game as "salty" and "wasting their time complaining", which is just an incredibly condescending attitude to take towards people who have legitimate complaints. It's just as bad as the people who call those who enjoy TS4 "EA sheep who'll waste their money on anything". That's the problem a lot of people who come into these threads have had lately and why this forum has been unfairly labeled as unsafe for fans of TS4. They just immediately get aggressive when it wasn't warranted and then claim they're being attacked for their opinion when people call them on it. Or get upset because they think someone else's negativity is somehow "ruining the game". Nobody cares if you like TS4. Hell, I like TS4. But the people who don't have just as much of a reason to say why they don't as you or I have for saying why we do (and, quite frankly, I tend to agree with most of the sentiments here. As much as I like it, the game is flawed as fuck)

At the end of the day, what matters is that we're all here because we love the sims, as a series.

The Receptacle still lives!
One Minute Ninja'd
#128 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 7:08 PM
I remember being extremely critical about TS3. Never got hammered for it in the discussion groups over it. But they were specific criticisms, not "this game sucks". That's just a plain waste of posting.

Game play from 3 to 4 is a little jarring to me. I keep forgetting I can't jump between sims on different lots, and that no one ever ages. But I see that the elimination of an open world and story progression provides the game with low resource requirements, and it does feel peppy, even with a bunch of mods. I'm also enjoying the advantage that by returning to it after several years many of the mods and cc that took so long to develop for both 3 and 4 are already completed and appear pretty stable.

Does TS4 meet my expectations? For the most part, yes. It suffers from the flaws brought up from day 1 of its announcement. But it's not without some positive aspects to game play. It certainly feels "lighter" than prior versions, and the superficiality is exhibited in most aspects of the game (yes, even the emotion thing feels pretty light after all the emphasis on emotional sims). There are still aspects that are fun, and dipping my toes back in has been enjoyable, although without the immersion I felt in prior versions. Then again, some of those fun aspects are modded in rather than native to the game. So I guess the fact that fairly complex activities were able to be created by modders should count as some sort of positive to the game's engine.
Scholar
Original Poster
#129 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 9:26 PM
It appears that the walls are finally closing in on EA and the crooked ESRB as Australia conducted their own new study a couple months ago and they had determined that loot boxes are indeed gambling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl7A6bRKPDU. Could this be a start of a revolution only time could tell. If the law ever passes then EA and other game companies alike probably would find a loophole in the law and exploit it but ultimately it's up to the players to help put an end to corrupt business practices such as that.
Forum Resident
#130 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 9:52 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but I'm willing to bet that most of the people who have strong opinions of TS4 (myself included) have them not because they're seeking to belittle its fans or anything of the sort, but because they look at the game and see such wasted potential. The anticipation leading up to TS4 was huge, I remember it vividly. Then in the months leading up to its release, the Gurus took to explaining how tons of features wouldn't be making it into the game, highlighting its troubled development. They spent more time explaining what wouldn't be in the game than what would. Has it improved since then? Yes, but far, far too slowly. They've spent 4, count 'em, 4 years selling piecemeal efforts of getting the game to 1/4 of what the previous versions were, which was double the content at this point. Complete silence on new features for months at a time, Gurus like Grant taking to Twitter with their sass and throwing their own games to the curb to make TS4 seem better. Outstanding issues that still haven't been resolved for years, like time going backwards, Sim greeting issues, etc despite the fact that they release patches monthly.

No matter how much people love the game, you can't deny this game's development cycle has been an absolute mess.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Scholar
Original Poster
#131 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
I can't speak for everyone, but I'm willing to bet that most of the people who have strong opinions of TS4 (myself included) have them not because they're seeking to belittle its fans or anything of the sort, but because they look at the game and see such wasted potential. The anticipation leading up to TS4 was huge, I remember it vividly. Then in the months leading up to its release, the Gurus took to explaining how tons of features wouldn't be making it into the game, highlighting its troubled development. They spent more time explaining what wouldn't be in the game than what would. Has it improved since then? Yes, but far, far too slowly. They've spent 4, count 'em, 4 years selling piecemeal efforts of getting the game to 1/4 of what the previous versions were, which was double the content at this point. Complete silence on new features for months at a time, Gurus like Grant taking to Twitter with their sass and throwing their own games to the curb to make TS4 seem better. Outstanding issues that still haven't been resolved for years, like time going backwards, Sim greeting issues, etc despite the fact that they release patches monthly.

No matter how much people love the game, you can't deny this game's development cycle has been an absolute mess.

I remember being so hyped when I saw the trailers or rather just clips of the developers showing the gameplay footage of the features introduced in Sims 4 such as the new CAS and build mode features and last but not least the emotions. What I had found strange about them about them looking back is that they kept talking and bragging about the new features of Sims 4 and very little about the stuff that we had known and loved from the previous games then before long the horrible news about the stuff they didn't put in the game arrived thus starting the dumpster fire that's still going on strong today.
One Minute Ninja'd
#132 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 12:14 AM
Wasn't it the president of Activision who several years ago made a statement to the effect of "I like when the gamers complain. If they weren't complaining I'd be worried". It's sort of the same attitude of any publicity is good publicity. If boards like this went silent over a game, that game is dead. To the extent that complaints do not necessarily reflect a loss of sales is pretty much the mindset of more than just EA. It's the nature of the industry. I'm a good example. I spent quite a bit of time both before and shortly thereafter criticizing design and gameplay decisions about TS4. Yet here I am, several years later, downloading and playing TS4 anyway. The franchise appeals to me and I enjoy it for what it offers. That doesn't mean I approve or support of all the decisions made in connection to this franchise, or EA's business practices.

I would like to think that the criticisms that were voiced early on did have some effect of the game's development, and I doubt features like toddlers (or pools, or other assorted and sundry items) would have made it back in if there wasn't demand from the community over those issues.

As to the whole loot box issue, I'm sure EA will pay whatever the fine is and negotiate a settlement they can live with. They are hardly the only software developer that has had run ins with various regulations in different countries. It's the nature of a global presence. Google just settled for how many Billions with the EU on privacy issues? I guess you could paint them as evil, along with Twitter and FaceBook, and IMO, privacy violations are of greater concern to me than loot boxes judged as an online gambling mechanism. But that's just my opinion. And I guess that of EA's legal counsel as well. How it plays out with regulators remains to be seen.
Scholar
Original Poster
#133 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 12:22 AM
We'll just have to wait and see what would happen next.
Field Researcher
#134 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 7:27 PM
https://www.thesimszone.co.uk/news/archive.php?ID=2743

Now I reading "The Adventures of the Maxoids in Europe".

I really like to visit the old Sims sites and look for information about Sims 2. I did not think that the Senior Producer of the games can say anything other than "We hear you." and "We can not tell you about future content.". This is a very funny story, and it does not resemble the official responses of public figures in charge of the game. Grant with his insults to Sims 3 is very far from this level of communication, although he wrote that he does not want to write boringly as an official representative.
Mad Poster
#135 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 10:14 PM
Game development was much different then than it is now. Developments seemed to care a lot more about their work then they do today.

Every now and again I go back watch Bungee discuss the development of Halo 1 and 2, and you can feel the passion radiating off of them as they speak about the game. They discuss it as though it’s art. They negate those phony smiles, and feigned enthusiasm.

However, that latter is what we get now, littered with buzz words and corporate greed. Some of the devs working on TS3 actually used to channel that very creative energy I discussed. SimGuruSarah channeled a lot of natural enthusiasm showcasing Lucky Palms, so clearly some passion is there, but a lot of that is muffled by whatever EA is trying to present themselves as.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#136 Old 28th Sep 2018 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Game development was much different then than it is now. Developments seemed to care a lot more about their work then they do today.

Every now and again I go back watch Bungee discuss the development of Halo 1 and 2, and you can feel the passion radiating off of them as they speak about the game. They discuss it as though it’s art. They negate those phony smiles, and feigned enthusiasm.

However, that latter is what we get now, littered with buzz words and corporate greed. Some of the devs working on TS3 actually used to channel that very creative energy I discussed. SimGuruSarah channeled a lot of natural enthusiasm showcasing Lucky Palms, so clearly some passion is there, but a lot of that is muffled by whatever EA is trying to present themselves as.

It's not about time, it's about people and games. Sims 4 Gurus say that they are the most "passionate " developers, but the game itself is so boring. It just seems that there is no effort, compared to Sims 2.
One Minute Ninja'd
#137 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Liza
It's not about time, it's about people and games. Sims 4 Gurus say that they are the most "passionate " developers, but the game itself is so boring. It just seems that there is no effort, compared to Sims 2.

TS4 was a compromise. I think they started out with a high bar in going for an immersive online version of the game but got nailed when they had to revert back to single player with an engine not as nearly advanced as it could have been. Now it's been making the best they can of the situation. They seem to have made efforts at improving the game over the last few years, but you can only do so much within the limits you have. That said, a few patches with new materiel close to a GP in content and gameplay might be a nice gesture in the event they really are going to go with a Sims 5 and try to keep the community active until then.
Mad Poster
#138 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 3:26 AM
Time spent definitely plays a role. Nowadays, many AAA developers are driven by their corporate overlords now than ever.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#139 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 6:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
TS4 was a compromise. I think they started out with a high bar in going for an immersive online version of the game but got nailed when they had to revert back to single player with an engine not as nearly advanced as it could have been. Now it's been making the best they can of the situation. They seem to have made efforts at improving the game over the last few years, but you can only do so much within the limits you have. That said, a few patches with new materiel close to a GP in content and gameplay might be a nice gesture in the event they really are going to go with a Sims 5 and try to keep the community active until then.

This is probably accurate. And it does explain everything. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how passionate you are about something that is limited. There's only so much you can do with it. That could be said about TS4. If the game engine is very limited their passion might not be able to shine through like it did in the other iterations. Mix that in with the corporate giant EA and well... it all makes a lot of sense.
Scholar
Original Poster
#140 Old 1st Oct 2018 at 3:26 PM
I had just checked my Twitter account and I guess Grant finally gave me the boot and deleted my tweet but even I have to admit that i'm surprised to see my tweet last that long.
Test Subject
#141 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
The sad thing is that they haven't even brought back the most basic features from Sims 1-3 such as burglars,firefighters,cars or even basic transportation like taxis and school buses which were around since the first game which should be a necessity in a life simulation game. Instead they just teleport through their phones it seems or just walk. There are many more that i'm missing but that should give you a good idea about how much is still missing from this game especially after 4 years. It had indeed been 4 years of disappointment and heartbreak.
THIS! The game is just so shallow and without the quirkiness and suprises that I loved in the previous games it really is sad. I hope it doesn't end like this and someone picks up and makes the sims 5 superb
Scholar
#142 Old 17th Nov 2018 at 7:20 PM
I could do without cars, but at least burglars and firefighters would be neat.
Page 6 of 6