Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 7:20 PM
Default What is a .pyo .py file?
Yes I already Googled this several times but I'm still not sure what this is. Something to do with a program called Python?

I downloaded the mod to make testinghcheats on all the time, but it's a .pyo and a .py file? It doesn't show up in game or in my list of mods.

Is there a way to convert this to a .package file so it works in my game or is there some other easier way to make it work?

(I also checked the install instructions on the mod and it only gives instructions for .package files which I already know how to install easily).

My Sims Page > Check out My Page!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 7:26 PM
I cannot tell you what the files actually are, my guess is also "something to do with Python".

You can get these mods to work by putting the .zip file in your Mods folder without extracting it. Made me feel like something's missing here but that's how you do it.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 7:26 PM
You need to keep the files within the zip folder. Do not extract them. They are python script files.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 7:28 PM
Weird. I've never downloaded something that I wasn't supposed to extract from the .zip file. Well thank you so much! =)

My Sims Page > Check out My Page!
Forum Resident
#5 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 7:38 PM
Python is the language in which the scripting for TS4 is done.
.py are the files that contain the source code for the mod.
.pyo is the (kind of but not really because Python is weird) compiled mod.

You don't really need to know anything about Python though to use the mods you downloaded, but the more you know and all that. Like Lodakai said, just plop the .zip into your mod directory.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 7:46 PM
Please read the instructions in the download post. They're exactly ONE sentence long and very unambiguous.

Moving to Game Help.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#7 Old 7th Jul 2016 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Please read the instructions in the download post. They're exactly ONE sentence long and very unambiguous.

Moving to Game Help.

Alright I know this is dumb but I must have missed instructions at some point (I'm pretty easy to distract), and I found a py and pyo file in a mod folder. Should I just delete them? Or what should I do?

Any help you could provide would be highly appreciated.
Scholar
#8 Old 7th Jul 2016 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by soarndt
Alright I know this is dumb but I must have missed instructions at some point (I'm pretty easy to distract), and I found a py and pyo file in a mod folder. Should I just delete them? Or what should I do?

Any help you could provide would be highly appreciated.

You leave it alone, it contains necessary codes. Keep it in the zip file and place the entire zip file in your mods directory.