Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 2:53 AM
Default Custom content, can we do it?
Hi all! I was just wondering, after purchasing the game and being irritated because well, we can't mod anything yet......will we be able to change the pictures and create custom clothing in Sims 3? Does anyone know, or is it still too soon?

It looks to me like EA has made things more difficult for modders....and on purpose. Especially with thier site that now you have to pay cash for Sim points. I dunno, I guess I am just feeling a little bit of buyers remorse. I wish I would have waited until more tools were available for modding!
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 3:53 AM
Patience, young padawan.

The game has been out for only a couple of days, and already we have tools available for modders. The primary reason that this game seems more difficult for modders is that we haven't got the advanced tools which you are used to seeing, like SimPE. These things take time. You will have your mods soon enough.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#3 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:28 AM
All this "EA has made it harder!" is really quite silly. Sims 2 came with only ONE tool - BodyShop and that only let you make clothing. Then they added HomeCrafter. NOTHING to do meshes, custom clothing, hacks, or *anything* like that. So I really dont see why it should be all doom and gloom when, essentially, the slate has been wiped clean.

In *fact*, right now we are way ahead of where we where when TS2 came out. Back then we had to wait months for modding tools and the first meshes - and here you are only 2 days after the game has come out and already running around waving hands in the air? Pft.

Try to enjoy the game for what it is, instead of immediately wanting to mod it.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#4 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:38 AM
I have to say that I actually like the editing tool - for the first time ever all my furniture matches as do my curtains etc, before I had to do it myself and reinsert it into the game which took a lot longer, if anything it shows that EA has taken the need to mod more seriously - imagine the future - the wonderful creation from here plus your own ability to adjust colours/patterns - it will be modding like we have never seen yet!
Test Subject
#5 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 5:35 PM
I think we can safely say that EA does not want to encourage modding. Why you ask? Because EA can now nickle and dime us for their (some-what boring and plain) content, and they don't want people to get (better more interesting) content for free.
Modding does make the game better, and more fun, but I doubt EA sees it this way.

"What's a foot long and slippery? A slipper!"
^ Sims 3 Joke Fail
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 5:57 PM
Honestly, does it matter what EA does or does not want to do, with regards modding? Fact is that we HAVE modding tools, 2 days after the game is out. Fact is that we HAVE people working on modding the game. Fact is that we HAVE mods out there already. So... as with the Sims 2, what EA wants is irrelevant to what the community wants, and will provide.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 7:04 PM
Default Ok, I feel better now.
Well, I will just be patient. It was hard for me to go from having everythig customized to plain jane Sims crap after enjoying the many cool things TS2 brought. It is new, it will take time, and I just need to chill.

I still think EA is trying to discourage modding. Now I know that will not stop us all from trying and the wonderful people here at MTS will find ways around everything, thank goodness. But I still think the guys at EA are being kinda crappy with trying to charge for things. Keep it free peeps! haha!
Test Subject
#8 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 4:38 AM Last edited by Kirbymaster05 : 6th Jun 2009 at 4:40 AM. Reason: makeing my example more clear
I agree that what EA wants is... unimportant, but we have to remember they have the power to make our lives very difficult. We have mod tools yes, but all EA would need to do is release one small patch and all hope of custom content would be gone, or at least it would become excruciatingly difficult. EA had no reason to do this in the Sims 2, because it wasn't until very late that they had a "store", but now that Sims 3 has a store they very well might discourage modding. Think of it like Microsoft vs. Linux, except for if Linux was used by (I don't know the statistics regarding how many sims players use CC) the majority of computer users. Microsoft would panic, and Microsoft would try and take it down. It's corporate behavior, they will see it as competition.
I'm not trying to sound paranoid, but we have to consider it.

^ Sims 3 Joke Fail
Test Subject
#9 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 7:55 AM
I think the Sim Store is awesome personally. Yes, we can get better stuff through modded things, but this is a better way for them to get some extra content without releasing a ton of lame "expansions" that are nothing but stuff for your room or whatnot. This at least allows them to do something similar, but a hell of a lot cheaper.

And like others have said, we have modding tools out already, the game has been out a week. The mods will be comming just be patient.
Test Subject
#10 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 1:16 PM
Remember, just because the community creates mods doesn't mean the community may not occasionally buy objects from the store. The modding community didn't stop the Stuff packs from being profitable for EA, and in some cases helped with objects requiring an expansion that the meshes, etc were built off of.

It's also important to realize MTS and the greater mod community are irrelevant to the masses of more casual Sims2/3 players who don't use the hacks for custom content and get all of their items off the exchange. There are many more people out there using vanilla content than there are people going to small sites looking for meshes, etc.
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kirbymaster05
I agree that what EA wants is... unimportant, but we have to remember they have the power to make our lives very difficult. We have mod tools yes, but all EA would need to do is release one small patch and all hope of custom content would be gone, or at least it would become excruciatingly difficult. EA had no reason to do this in the Sims 2, because it wasn't until very late that they had a "store", but now that Sims 3 has a store they very well might discourage modding. Think of it like Microsoft vs. Linux, except for if Linux was used by (I don't know the statistics regarding how many sims players use CC) the majority of computer users. Microsoft would panic, and Microsoft would try and take it down. It's corporate behavior, they will see it as competition.
I'm not trying to sound paranoid, but we have to consider it.

You do kind of sound paranoid. And it's not something you have to consider. Modding is part of Sims, and it's kind of encouraged by EA, so I doubt the Sims creators are going to stifle that now, and even if they did, everyone would just work around it.
Test Subject
#13 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 4:26 PM
I'm not saying the store is bad, I'm just saying that it now competes with the modding community. And yeah my post did sound a bit paranoid, but we have to be ready for negative behavior from EA. I was more describing a worst case scenario, not what is most likely to happen.

^ Sims 3 Joke Fail
Test Subject
#14 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 9:11 PM
I know that we HAVE custom content and hacks already but what about their EULA that expressly forbids reverse engineering, modification and all that gubbins:

Quote:
you may not otherwise <snip> modify, create works from, or use any of the Tools & Materials. Without limiting the preceding sentence, you may not modify, reverse engineer, disassemble, license, transfer, distribute, create works from, or sell the Tool, or use the Tools & Materials to further any commercial purpose

Is everyone ignoring this, or getting around it somehow? Or am I reading it wrong or out of context?? Or is EA just going to ignore all the great stuff that is already been created but aren't willing to officially modify their EULA as they realise they've made the gaffe of the century and don't want to look any more stupid than they already are?!

Money can't buy you happiness ...... but it CAN buy you lots and lots of chocolate !!
Test Subject
#15 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 9:13 PM
Isn't that a rather standard clause in game readmes?
Test Subject
#16 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 9:15 PM
IIRC it wasn't quite so specific in Sims 2?

Money can't buy you happiness ...... but it CAN buy you lots and lots of chocolate !!
Test Subject
#17 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 9:16 PM
It prohibits use for 'commercial' purposes ie you can't charge for modifications.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:10 AM
This is very very exciting. I hope we will be able to mod the community buildings such as the restraunts. I would LOVE to make a french bakery, coffee house, candy shop, etc. Normally I only do body mods, but Sims3 makes me want to expand my creativity.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:25 AM
^_^ For those who are thinking EA discourages the modding etc.... I was just wondering, during the creators camp or something like that, wasnt one of the main questions asked all over the place being "Will we be able to import our own textures?" and wasnt the response something along the lines of "No we dont have that.... but i'm sure the sims community will come up with something, they always have!" o.O i'm really really sure i read that somewhere......

not to mention they even had a section on their webpage where they even "Linked" to other fansites with CC!!! whether it be recolors or new meshes/mods!

sims store... i hate it as much as anyone else, but how is it much more competition than the stuff packs in the past? never once did their items you "Pay for" stop us from creating CC ..... charging more money now? yes, but irrelevant really, and besides now that its more money people will probably buy less as well, and look for even more CC...

and i mean Come on!!!! @.@ the VERY DAY I got my sims 3 game.... already tools/info on how to make ones own textures!!! (thank you again!) and just within days seeing the custom downloads streaming in!? o.O;;; wow i never seen such results with TS2 when it first came out!!! XD woohoo!
Test Subject
#20 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:58 AM
Am I the only person who doesn't hate the sim store? It's basically the stuff packs online.
Alchemist
#21 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:03 AM
C'mon, there is no entitlement to free add-ons for the game forever for everybody. If EA doesn't make some money off Sims 3, they won't make the EPs people want. And not everything they make will be worth owning. It's called free enterprise.

Making new creations is a drawing card to the game for creative people. Having these free creations available is a drawing card to many players. EA is allowing us to compete with them because it is good for them. And it is good for us. But waiting for them to make a new game, in which they have invested millions of dollars in developing, and then complaining they are making money from it is not logical, captain. Competition means besting someone at their own game, not complaining that someone else is in the race.

Just do eet..
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#22 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 11:20 AM
Err, EA's actually been doing rather poorly in the money department lately. Yes, they're a big corporation, but corporations can't run on peppermints and love, and they've been posting some rather significant losses. That's part of why the release of TS3 was pushed back - to give them more time to market it heavily, and to put it in a different financial quarter.

Even if they weren't doing poorly, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a -business- to just give stuff away all the time. They're in the entertainment -business-, not providing free entertainment services.

Like ur mom...

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#23 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:18 PM
People Who Got Sims3 (Mee) Dont Worry Bout Custom Content Cuz Soon Enough Someone Will Make A Prgramme Like SimPE For Sims 3 And You Can Create New Hair Etc There Is Already A Pattern Maker Delphys Pattern Thingy, I Downloaded It But Images Must Be DDS Files And You Have To Download Some Poo That I CBA To Download But Heres The Link If You Want Delphys Pattern Thingy >> http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...g_Package_Files << But Anyways Ive Been Checking Other Sites For Custom Content And Stuff And Some Wannabe Made A Website Called Modthesims3 Its Fake But They Got Public Files So Far Only 2 Hacks Work - Nude Patches :s - The Rest Save Onto Your Comp As Gorre ?? WTF Anyway Its Just A File Not A Document Or Anything
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GodBeastX
Am I the only person who doesn't hate the sim store? It's basically the stuff packs online.

^_^ I should rephrase.... I do quite enjoy maxis' items they've created for the store.... and i love maxis' stuff packs.... pre-ordered everyone for TS2 the moment i heard of it.... I don't mind paying for extra items..., as i know there is a cost to everything

what i do hate, is the fact stuff packs can contain 50 items, and the whole thing comes in shiny lil dvd/cd boxes, for only $20....... to get the same amount of items in the TS3 store, I have to pay $100+

T.T and yes i miss my shiny cases that i could line up on my desk, for the world to see what a sims freak i am to have every one lol.....
Test Subject
#25 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 3:54 PM
Who knows, those accesory packs might very well come. I can think of a lot of users that prefer to get them boxed up and ready to install.
Or to keep a nice collection on their shelves.
But personally, I like the new shop. There has always been an item or two I liked, but not enough to pay the 15 bucks for the whole set.
Now we players have every choice there is - and up to now Expansions and Accesory packs have always been PROMOTED by custom content.
Honestly. Have you never bought one at least partly because all the new cool downloads were based upon those meshes and stuff.
Sims 3 really sparks my creativity. I WANT to mod that game! Its awesome.
And I'm so looking forward to all the new tools that will come.
Trust me, I firmly believe that EA knows how addicting this is.
Page 1 of 3