Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 4:40 AM
Default Southern Colonial Home
The next concept I've tackled for a more wealthy home is of southern and colonial style.

In the third screenshot, I purposely built the roof like that to give it its unique shape from the original house plan and design I was basing it on. There's a room added on the third floor but it has no other significance to the remainder of the house. I can change it though if it doesn't look good. A technique I accomplished with the roof over the garage is it's actually a roof and a half. Reason for that is the first roof didn't create a wall over the bedroom to finish the appearance, so I had to use another roof to actually have that wall added. There's probably a better way to do that.

There are four bedrooms and three bathrooms upstairs, and each bedroom has a walk-in closet somewhere. The room with the double-sized bed is the master bedroom, hence why its bathroom is quite large. According to the original floor plan, the bathroom was supposed to have a separate shower, a whirlpool tub, a toilet in its own compact room, and a large walk-in wardrobe. Instead of the whirlpool tub however, I added a sauna and made two rooms separate for the showers and the toilet.

Downstairs near the kitchen, there was supposed to be a breakfast room and a dining room. At first it was tricky where to place the bar since I wanted one, and I did not want to block the bay view window with a large dining table. Also, I know that some of you might frown at the small bathroom near the kitchen, so I left it out.

If it seems a little too busy at the balconies upstairs, I can move or remove the easels.

Here's the link to the original house plan I used for the home.
https://www.houseplans.com/plan/263...-2-garage-21796

Let me know what you think, and whatever suggestions you got to help improve this house even more.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 5:02 AM
That's a tricky style of roof, and you pulled it off beautifully, so full marks for that!

Why would anybody frown at a small bathroom off the kitchen? You need a half bath down there for guests, IMHO. People are far more likely to object to that enormous bathroom complex with the sauna, though it does follow the floorplan.

The thing that strikes me is that there's way too many floor treatments on the first floor. I know some people like to have different colored carpet in different rooms, IRL and in sims, but even allowing for my preference for consistency in flooring being personal, that downstairs has a bewildering and complex variety. I suggest picking one style of tile/stone/pavers and one style of wood floor in the main part of the house and sticking to them. The occasional rugs can break up the space well enough without them. And why is there such a fancy rug in the garage?

It looks like the sauna has carpet in it. This strikes me as a very bad idea. You'll have mildew in there before the end of the first week of use. The palm tree paper is nice though.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 5:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
That's a tricky style of roof, and you pulled it off beautifully, so full marks for that!

Why would anybody frown at a small bathroom off the kitchen? You need a half bath down there for guests, IMHO. People are far more likely to object to that enormous bathroom complex with the sauna, though it does follow the floorplan.

The thing that strikes me is that there's way too many floor treatments on the first floor. I know some people like to have different colored carpet in different rooms, IRL and in sims, but even allowing for my preference for consistency in flooring being personal, that downstairs has a bewildering and complex variety. I suggest picking one style of tile/stone/pavers and one style of wood floor in the main part of the house and sticking to them. The occasional rugs can break up the space well enough without them. And why is there such a fancy rug in the garage?

It looks like the sauna has carpet in it. This strikes me as a very bad idea. You'll have mildew in there before the end of the first week of use. The palm tree paper is nice though.

I figured I put too much time into picking acceptable floor patterns for the entire floor, and I suppose I can remodel the kitchen to add that small bathroom as shown from the original house plan. The floor texture I used for the sauna is actually 'tiny pebbles' to compliment with the walls. I wanted to pick a more natural texture like that or sand. Sorry if I didn't give a closer shot of the sauna.
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 8:21 PM
If any suggestions for the master bathroom, I would much appreciate it. Right now I'm in a pickle of how to use up the space more efficiently than the way it's currently like. I would like to add in a hot tub as well, but it might be tricky to have alongside the sauna. Also, we know how Sims may throw a fit when they all try to enter the "Soaking Zone" hot tub simultaneously.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 12:12 AM
I really like your outside and the roof.

I would cut down on the busy patterns. Floor+rug+ pattern couch.

I am wondering what that large space next to the master bedroom is for? You could rework your floor pattern and make smaller rooms like a sewing room and an en-suit.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 4:02 AM
I figured out how to use the space more efficiently where the master bathroom is. The sauna and the two separate rooms for the toilet and shower were perfect - I just needed to sort them out another way like pieces to a puzzle.

Then I tackled the other suggestions related to the first floor.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 6:46 AM
That's better.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~