Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 8:26 AM
Default Male Dance Outfit
I have been trying to change the ridiculous male unitard that came with Freetime into something more realistic (in many schools and companies the uniform for male dancers is footless or footed black tights, snug white tee-shirts, white socks, and black or white ballet slippers, and that's what I'm trying for). As near as I can tell, the unitard is actually a mesh, but I'm not experienced enough to be sure. I thought the ridges at the neckline and armpits were a bump map, but apparently not, since they won't go away. I can edit the peculiar shoes by changing the alpha, but I think I need either a nude mesh, or (in a perfect world) a tee-shirt mesh attached to/replacing the tights top, and I have no idea how to even begin to do that. I am using the GIMP for recolouring, and I don't have access to (or familiarity with) any meshing tools. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 10:15 AM
Might it make more sense to recolour an underwear mesh, rather than the unitard mesh?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 9:32 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 8th Apr 2017 at 10:07 PM.
I just took a look at it, and it really seem to be using the male nude mesh. There aren't any thickness to it. Assuming you are talking about the completely tight one, and not the flare pants one.
What kind of tshirt you are thinking of? Could you post a picture of what you have in mind? I know you wrote it, and it seems quite detailed even...but I have trouble picturing it.
As it is now, without editing the mesh, you'd end up with a painted-on-skin shirt...I doubt(HOPE!) that's not what your desires are about...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 4:35 AM
@ Nysha. The underwear mesh is working much better; thank you! I'm having some trouble adding socks (and reasonable anklebone shading!) with the way the shoes are mapped, but I'll keep trying.

@ Rosebine. Here is a representative real-world picture. Those shirts actually are very tight to reveal every line of the body, just like a leotard does.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 4:58 AM Last edited by Rosebine : 9th Apr 2017 at 5:41 AM.
Oh! I see...so totally possible without editing the mesh. (thought I'd still edit it. lol)
Just for your information, do not add a space between @ and the member's name. We won't get the notice...I only saw your reply, because I came to look.
it is ok to add a space after the member's name though, to be sure it works well.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 3:28 PM
So, I'm making (slow) progress, but I've run into another problem. I'm trying to align the sides (because a straight line at the waist just looks stupid), and can't figure out how to taper them to make them fit together. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 4:50 PM
Align the sides can be done two ways. One would be to adjust the mapping. But this means, playing with the mesh. Once you edit a mesh and export it to keep your changes, even though it is just mapping, you get a different one.
Since you want to only recolor an already existing mesh, this option might not be for you.
Second way, would be to fiddle with your new texture, until it match up to your liking's. That can take time, as you fit your texture on a mesh, and not the mesh for your texture..
Trials & errors.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 7:32 PM
It's not perfect, but at least it's finished. Thank you for all your help!

Mad Poster
#9 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 7:38 PM
Hey! looking great! Much better than the original Maxis.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 10:48 PM
@Rosebine More realistic, anyway. Thank you for your support! I appreciate it very much!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 11:26 PM
You are more than welcome! Anytime.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 7:52 PM
@Rosebine Would you like to see something funny? One reason (out of many) I hated the male unitard so much is that I thought it made the guys look like they had moobs...I was right. I had to fiddle a lot with the neckline because the texture is mapped very strangely, but I didn't even have to adjust the body shading when I used it for a teen female...I think the artist must have thought, "unitard=female" and then didn't change anything upon learning it was for a male sim. Look where the shadows hit!

Mad Poster
#13 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 8:02 PM
Ah! great discovery dear! ahahah!
No doubts it was meant to be unisex..texture-wise anyway!

Instructor
#14 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 8:23 AM
Eep. I've just spent the last few days working on practically the same idea -- just got my alpha looking vaguely acceptable and then saw this thread. @croiduire, are you planning to upload? I don't want to duplicate or look like I'm copying... (o_o)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 5:41 AM
@Liz Feel free to upload your creations. If you'd like, I'll send you the outfits I did, if you think they might be helpful. IM(not so)HO they look pretty good in game, but I can't get pictures good enough to meet MtS standards...I read the requirements and was totally daunted! But it would make me happy if someone else benefited from my work in some capacity, even if only by sharing textures or alphas.
Instructor
#16 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 2:16 AM
@croiduire That is such a generous offer, thank you! All honesty, I'm so touched that I'd be happy to, if you'd like, take some in-game shots for you so tha you can upload yours yourself. Would you be interested? It would probably look something like these...

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=590913
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=589762

Feel free to hit me up by message!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 5:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by croiduire
It's not perfect, but at least it's finished. Thank you for all your help!

It looks interesting and is really good