Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 11:43 AM Last edited by goderguy : 9th Feb 2017 at 7:14 PM.
Default Paint.Net changed? [Resolved]
I've been using Paint.Net for all my Sims 2 recoloring, in both BodyShop and in Wizards of SimPE. I recently bought a new computer, and reinstalled Sims 2. I also tried to reinstall the version of Paint. Net I was using before, but it wouldn't install properly. I downloaded and installed a newer version, and attempted to do some basic clothing recolors in BodyShop, like I always have. When I save the files, they get really blurry, and import back into BodyShop even more blurry and pixilated. I can't even change something from color to black and white; the files are useless blurry messes. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong, or what changed with Paint.Net? When I save the files, I get the option to auto-detect, choose 24-bit, or choose 8-bit, with dithering options of 0 through 8. I'm saving as bitmaps. I have tried saving every which way til Sunday, and the results are the same. Any suggestions (besides try another editing program)? Thanks in advance for any assistance you provide.

PS - my computer is an Acer, with a gforce graphics card installed post-factory, and it runs Windows 10.

Thanks!

goderguy
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 3:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by goderguy
I've been using Paint.Net for all my Sims 2 recoloring, in both BodyShop and in Wizards of SimPE. I recently bought a new computer, and reinstalled Sims 2. I also tried to reinstall the version of Paint. Net I was using before, but it wouldn't install properly. I downloaded and installed a newer version, and attempted to do some basic clothing recolors in BodyShop, like I always have. When I save the files, they get really blurry, and import back into BodyShop even more blurry and pixilated. I can't even change something from color to black and white; the files are useless blurry messes. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong, or what changed with Paint.Net? When I save the files, I get the option to auto-detect, choose 24-bit, or choose 8-bit, with dithering options of 0 through 8. I'm saving as bitmaps. I have tried saving every which way til Sunday, and the results are the same. Any suggestions (besides try another editing program)? Thanks in advance for any assistance you provide.

PS - my computer is an Acer, with a gforce graphics card installed post-factory, and it runs Windows 10.

Thanks!
You might have a problem of multiple nature so you can't choose the solution untill you know where or what the problem is. You said you have installed sims 2 on window 10, now has that changed some spects in you bodyshop CSbin? Check out some articles about bodyshop problems first since that has been a problem in the past and a few adjustments might do the trick. Another problem could be you paint.net is not working properly with either window 10 or your GPU. I have window 7 and I use Gimp 2.6.11 and it works fine. You can't limit your choices of GMP to just paint.net if you are having problems of unknown nature. Try everything possible, one at a time untill you know where the problem lies I suggest.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 6:09 PM
Default Possible answer
Quote: Originally posted by telefen
You might have a problem of multiple nature so you can't choose the solution untill you know where or what the problem is. You said you have installed sims 2 on window 10, now has that changed some spects in you bodyshop CSbin? Check out some articles about bodyshop problems first since that has been a problem in the past and a few adjustments might do the trick. Another problem could be you paint.net is not working properly with either window 10 or your GPU. I have window 7 and I use Gimp 2.6.11 and it works fine. You can't limit your choices of GMP to just paint.net if you are having problems of unknown nature. Try everything possible, one at a time untill you know where the problem lies I suggest.

After posting this, I kept searching (I really did search before posting), and I think I found the problem and the solution - I had to go into all my EP and SP files and change some numbers to 0. I did all that, but when I hit save, it says access denied. Anyone know how to get access? It's my own computer, so I should be able to grant myself permission, but that option doesn't appear.

goderguy
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 7:09 PM
You'll need to copy the files to your desktop, then edit them, then copy them back.

If you know how, you can also do it by running notepad as an administrator.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 7:14 PM
Default It worked!
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
You'll need to copy the files to your desktop, then edit them, then copy them back.

If you know how, you can also do it by running notepad as an administrator.

Thanks! I knew to copy the files and edit them; it was the administrator problem. I figured that out, made the edits, and I am happy to say the problem is solved! My .bmp files are the correct size, and they don't import all blurry. Yay! I love this Forum - always so helpful.

goderguy