Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Dec 2016 at 11:52 PM
My Own Recolors Not Appearing In-Game?
Hello there. I'm running into a problem with a few recolors I've made of some meshes. Most of the meshes were custom meshes created by others and I made some recolors, though a couple meshes are Maxis meshes (including one makeup). This is a problem I've been having for a while but have either ignored or found some way to work around it, but with this latest batch I can't seem to get anything working or solve the problem at all.

The recolors I've made through BodyShop aren't appearing in-game for some reason, though they do appear in BodyShop. In-game there aren't any icons for them and if I created a Sim in BodyShop with one of the recolors the Sim appears in-game without that item or items on. It's as if the recolor files are not there at all. I know that the meshes are working in-game because I've seen the meshes as well as some other recolors I've made previously, I've tried disabling custom content, restarting and re-enabling it, I've tried deleting the data files that are created through TS2 and BodyShop in the TS2 directory when you load them, I've reorganized my Downloads folder, I've removed all of the downloads, loaded the game, put them back in and restarted, I've tried re-importing the recolors, and I've tried everything else that I can think of but these recolors just will not appear.

For example, I've made various recolors of the Twi'lek lekku ("head tails") mesh by Darth Fubar over time and they've been working just fine, but a recolor I made around a week ago does not appear in TS2. It appears in BodyShop, and Darth Fubar's mesh and the other recolors I made appear in the game and in BodyShop, but the latest recolor I made does not appear in-game but just in BodyShop. I've also made a piece of face makeup from a default Maxis face makeup (the zombie face), and again while it appears in BodyShop it does not appear in the game. There are various other recolors of other things that aren't appearing, either. And yet some other recent recolors I've made of other things are appearing in-game so it's not some setting that I've somehow changed-- some recolors I made are working, others aren't. It's driving me crazy.

Does anyone know what might be causing these recolors to not show up in the game and how I can fix them?
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Dec 2016 at 11:05 AM
Ooh, interesting!

To start with, where are you keeping the non-working recolours? Are they in the same folder as some of the working content? The game can be very finicky about where it will read stuff from.

Do the recolours work in a clean set of user files - so rename the TS2 folder in Documents to something else, let the game make a new one, put the recolours (and any required meshes) in there and see if they show up that way?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Dec 2016 at 8:19 PM
The recolors are in the Downloads folder with the working recolors, yeah, though most of them are in a separate folder within the Downloads folder. I have my own custom content organized in folders, whether they're recolors, new BodyShop meshes or new object meshes, and then in the case for these I have them organized by characters (TS2 characters) so that all of the recolors for one particular character are in one folder. Though now that I think about it, I think all of the recolors that aren't working are in separate folders. I think anyway.

Having the game create new files is an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of that. There's a lot to transfer between folders so it might take me some time to do that but it's worth a shot. :P
Space Pony
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Dec 2016 at 8:39 PM
So, interestingly, it seems that just switching folders fixed this problem. Not sure why I didn't think of that before. But putting them one folder down has them showing up now. Maybe I had too many sub-folders? I didn't think that there was a sub-folder limit for TS2 but just taking them out of the sub-folder they were in has them showing up in-game. Well, at least they're working now!
Instructor
#5 Old 14th Dec 2016 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZeonZumDeikun
I didn't think that there was a sub-folder limit for TS2 but just taking them out of the sub-folder they were in has them showing up in-game. Well, at least they're working now!

Perhaps it's a Windows limitation ...

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th Dec 2016 at 1:57 PM
There's a character limit rather than a subfolder limit - so you can have as many subfolders as you like, as long as the length of the filepath doesn't exceed x. I can't remember exactly what x is, but it'll be one of those numbers that's significant in computing, like 256 or something.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.