Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 5:32 PM
Default PhotoShop Hints and Tricks
Without having to go through an entire tutorial or reference book, you should know certain things that are handy to use in Photoshop. Anyone who uses this program, please add on!

There is a curved line tool, but it's sometimes hard to use. On clothing, sometimes it's easier to create the line you want by clicking, then shift-clicking at the next point (you'll also find that the perfect curves in photoshop come out jagged on your sims in certain spots, so this allows you to compensate for that.) Clicking on a point and then shift-clicking automatically draws a straight line between those two points.

The healing brush tool (looks like a band-aid) essentially picks up a chunk of image and puts it somewhere else. It's useful for things like getting rid of particular details of a garment and replacing them with the overall texture, or fixing something you don't like back to the base texture. You click on the band-aid, select the size of the area you want to copy from, alt-click on the area, then every time you click, a chunk that size will be laid on top of the area you click on. This tool is also good if you're trying to make a large texture out of smaller swatches. You can copy and paste, but sometimes things don't line up perfectly. The healing brush lets you correct the individual spots.

And for the same purpose, sometimes you can get a good texture by selecting your swatch with the rectangular marquee, copy, then paste (it'll be laid over the selected area) then from Edit, select Transform/flip horizontal (or vertical) and it'll give you a mirror image with edges lined up perfectly. This obviously works better for some patterns than others, but it's an easy way to get a bigger texture image.

Next?

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 12:37 PM
shift-clicking a straight line also works for the dodge and burn tools, eraser, clone tool - in fact almost all of them

The best way to make a clean selection in photoshop is to use the pen tool (make sure it's set on paths and not on shapes or fill). The path tool works on tangent lines - the anchor points are at a tangent to the curves you're making. The longer you drag the lines, the smoother the curve. Draw around what you want to select (slightly to the inside). Clicking with the pen tool creates a point with no curve, clicking and dragging creates the end points for curves. Create the path and go to your paths pallet and save it and give it a name - then you can get your selection back anytime you want. If you don't like where the points are placed, immediately above the pen tool are the path selection tools - the hollow point (white) one lets you choose any point and move it or change the angle of the curve, the filled point (black) one lets you select the entire path and move it around (handy for buttons or other pieces that are the same over the entire piece). Holding down on the pen tool gives you the option of adding or deleting a point and the funny looking angle one lets you change the kind of point - click to change a curved point to a square one or click and drag to change a square point to one with curves. After you're satisfied with your path, go back to the paths pallet - make sure the path is selected and click on the 3rd option at the very bottom of the pallet - that turns a path into a selection (stroking the path is sometimes handy as well). If you for some reason still don't like it, you can select the path by choosing that one in the pallet again (you can have as many paths as you want) and add pieces to it or change it with the pen and arrow tool.

If you want textures, play around with photoshops standard actions - there's a lot just in there that a lot of people don't realize. You may need to load them (for some reason, they aren't all loaded automatically). Open the actions pallet (window-actions). You should have default, frames, commands, image effects, production, text effects, and textures. If you don't have all of them, click on the arrow at the upper right of the pallet and choose "load actions". Navigate to your photoshop application folder, choose "presets", then "photoshop actions" then the set and add it. You have to do them one at a time. Often an action works well for something else even if it is labeled "frames" or "text" or whatever, so they're worth playing with. If you open the little arrow next to the actions, it tells you the command sets used to make it. If you toggle dialogue on while you play it, it will stop whenever there's a choice and let you choose so you can get different effects and colors from the same actions. Usually an action creates a snapshot to make it easy to backup if you decide you don't like it, but don't forget your history pallet if you change your mind (or decide you want only part of an action). You can make your own as well
Test Subject
#3 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 10:24 AM
where are these actual tools? Cos i have paintshop pro 8...and its basically the same but I still don't under stand.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 12:51 PM
I haven't seen paintshop at all, so I wouldn't know what to tell you.

Test Subject
#5 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 5:56 PM
Basic Highlighting and Shading

Okay, shadings and highlightings on the skin really really adds realism to it. Without shadows and highlights, your skin will look dull, flat and gives you a "painted on" look. Using the Burn/Dodge tools is really hard at the beginning, (even I found it hard when I first started skinning) but once you have some practice, doing shadows and highlights are really easy. But obviously I can't teach you to do them in one day, just keep practicing and praticing. All I can do here is to provide you with tips.
- If you are thinking that you're going to make a mistake using the burn/dodge tools, I would recommend you to make a new layer for each shadows and highlights. Therefore if you made a mistake, you can delete/refresh that layer so you won't damage your base skin.
- Creases and folds are also done by burn/dodge tools, except that folds are thinner and harder to do. It does take a lot of practice to make the folds to look good, but trust me folds add alot of realism to skins.

Outlines on clothing

Skins without outlines seriously lets your skin down. Without outlines, your clothing will look "painted on". It's best to have outlines on the clothing so your skin looks realistic.
- Outlines are an easy thing to do, few clicks and you're done! Here's how to add outlines (this mini tutorial is for Adobe Photoshop in specific, don't know if it's the same for Paintshop Pro):
~ Select the area of your clothing you want to be outlined with any selection tools.
~ Right-click and select either "Layer via Copy" or "Layer via Cut".
~ Goto Layer> Layer Styles and select "Inner Shadow" from the drop down menus.
~ Adjust the distance and the depth/opacity of the inner shadow so it's not too thin or too thick.
~ Once you've adjusted them, click ok to apply and close the window.
~ If you want to add outlines to other parts of the clothing, repeat the above steps.
~ When you are done with all of the outlines, goto Layer again, select "Flatten Image" in the drop down menu (it's near the bottom)

Cheers,
Charlie

Do call me Charlie, thanks
Test Subject
#6 Old 21st Apr 2005 at 11:13 AM
I hate the jeans maxis made, they suck. I've made much more realistic ones just by playing wih the brightness/contrast. Image --> Adjustments --> Brightness/Contrast.

Want white jeans? Image --> Adjustments --> Desaturate. Now play with the brightness/contrast levels till you get something you want.

Here, for the PSP8 user: http://www.putertutor.net/paint/psp8.htm

Photoshop Stuff: http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials.htm

You should be able to find some interesting stuff at the above sites.
Test Subject
#7 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 5:08 AM
what Photo editor is the best to use for Clothing texturing?
#8 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 9:15 PM
well..
i want to know how to change the hair cut on photoshop
i know how to change the hair color
but not the hair cut
example:
the hair is smooth, and i want to make a fringe
i don't know how to do this =/

can someone help me , and tell me how to do this on photoshop??

tnks
Test Subject
#9 Old 26th Dec 2005 at 12:16 PM
help me please?
What is Photoshop? and where can i get it from?
Part-time Hermit
#10 Old 26th Dec 2005 at 12:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mariam Samir
help me please?
What is Photoshop? and where can i get it from?

You can download a trial version here, but to get a full version that you can actually save images on, you'd have to buy it for about $600. Paint Shop Pro is a lot cheaper and can do most of the stuff you'll probably ever need when making textures for something like The Sims 2. Here you can download a fully functional trial that'll last for 30 days. I'm not personally familiar with version 10, though, since I use version 7. Paint Shop Pro is only about $120 to buy.

carol_saalvi, to change the hairstyle like that, you'll have to edit the black and white alpha channel that determined which parts are transparent and which solid.
#11 Old 26th Dec 2005 at 8:35 PM
tnks.
i'll try :D

:*
#12 Old 26th Dec 2005 at 8:38 PM
waht do you mean.
with solid
and transparent?
how can i know this?

P.s.: i'm sorry i'am being that annoyng

i will stop.;]
i just want this awnser
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 27th Dec 2005 at 2:58 AM
Hi guys.

I work part time as a Photoshop teacher. I've used the program for some 8+ years, and I know most of its ins and outs. If there's anything you're wondering about, I might be able to help you out.

For now, though, I'm going to give you a tip – if you want to learn a nice, clean way of making selections, it would be quick masks. In my opinion the best tool that Photoshop has for creating selections. Instead of that tedious lasso tool, you can actually 'paint' the stuff that you want to select, and erase what you don't. While in the quick mask mode, you can do sweet things like blurring the selection, smudging it, erasing or editing parts or making it more transparent. It's unbeatable.

Another thing I'd like to point out, in case someone hadn't noticed it before, is the colour picker. With this nifty little tool, you can pick up any colour you have previously set down in a painting. Or in the case of editing a photo, you can pick any colour from the photo. Not only is this an excellent way of keeping the right colours when you want, but you also have the benefit of being able to examine what colours you are actually using. See, sometimes when you think you are painting in blue, you are actually painting in grey - it only looks blue because of the surrounding colours. All of this the colour picker helps you with. It's also available from any painting tool, or filling tool, by pressing the alt key and then clicking the colour. Nifty, huh?

Part-time Hermit
#14 Old 27th Dec 2005 at 7:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by carol_saalvi
waht do you mean.
with solid
and transparent?
how can i know this?

P.s.: i'm sorry i'am being that annoyng

i will stop.;]
i just want this awnser

When you start up a new project in Bodyshop to recolor hair, in the project folder that is created, apart from the hair textures, there are .bmp files for each with "alpha" in the name. When you open that up, it's an image of black and white areas. The white areas are solid, and the black ones transparent. The alpha image goes "on top" of the hair texture. If you, for example, alter the alpha where there are bangs in the texture, then you'll be altering what part of the bangs is visible and what not. You'll figure it out by trying it out .
Test Subject
#15 Old 27th Dec 2005 at 9:07 PM
thankx alot
Test Subject
#16 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 2:09 AM
How do get Photoshop??

Minnie27
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 5:01 AM
Hi. I've just got Paint.NET, as it is free and a rather brilliant piece of software. I've been experiementing for a week, but it's a bit tricky as people's (wonderful) tutorials don't quite work. Any links for tutorials/help that you guys know of? It would save me hours of frustrated muttering - especially stuff on multi layering to create effects and how to get the fabric texture to paste inside a selected shape. You wouldn't believe the nine step process I am using to try and delete the hanging over edges at present. Would really appreciate any advice.
Test Subject
#18 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 6:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by windgirl
Hi. I've just got Paint.NET, as it is free and a rather brilliant piece of software. I've been experiementing for a week, but it's a bit tricky as people's (wonderful) tutorials don't quite work. Any links for tutorials/help that you guys know of? It would save me hours of frustrated muttering - especially stuff on multi layering to create effects and how to get the fabric texture to paste inside a selected shape. You wouldn't believe the nine step process I am using to try and delete the hanging over edges at present. Would really appreciate any advice.

I have Paint.NET too, so I understand your frustration with PSP specific tutorials. I think that PDN is a fairly new piece of software so there isn't a lot out there for tutorials. You could always check out their forum (link below), they have lots of wonderful regulars there creating new tutorials everyday. If there is something not there that you want to know about just ask, they are more than willing to help. Other than that read the tutorials carefully on this website and just try to figure out which tool might be similar to the ones talked about.

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=15

If you like my stuff, please hit the Thanks button.
Test Subject
#19 Old 31st May 2006 at 1:48 PM
Where do u get paint.NET?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 1st Jun 2006 at 12:24 AM
You go to the Skinning FAQs post, which has nearly every link you need to get started.

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#21 Old 1st Jul 2006 at 7:05 AM
Really nifty tutorial on making eye textures: http://www.kandsdesign.com/kim/eyemap-tut.html

... I found you sort of have to play it by ear a little, and definitely don't try it the first time with anything but the colours they recommend... Pay attention to the layer masks... for some reason when you do the "Levels" steps toward the middle I wasn't getting the same result as the tutorial, though I was using their exact numbers. I had to play with it to make my image look just like the result in a couple of the steps, but my end result is rather nice, completely original, and rather beautifully detailed. I also learned a couple things I didn't know about Photoshop in the process of doing it. It's slightly different with newer versions of Photoshop, requires some Photoshop experience (or willingness to dive in and do this stuff blind), and is a LOT of steps, but the result is lovely.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#22 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 1:17 PM
hi i would like to know which tool do i use to resize an object in photoshop so i can make the photo fit my skin.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 4:30 PM
There are a number of them, all under Edit>Transform. Scale simply adjusts the horizonal and vertical proportions. Skew makes the corners adjustable, but I prefer Distort, because all eight points on the rectangle around your selection are adjustable. Rotate will allow you to rotate the selection, which is often useful. For photoskinning, though, you might find it likely that you need to use one or more of them over and over to make a perfect match. You might not be able to Distort the selection to fit, but if you get close, rotate a bit, then Distort the distorted and rotated selection, you can get close. Sometimes it takes a number of tiny changes, depending on the image you choose.

Lab Assistant
#24 Old 5th Jul 2006 at 6:55 AM
Default Quick way to make Skin in photoshop
This is a simple way to make edit a skin to give it human texture.

In photoshop. Go to Filter/Texture/Craquelure/Grain. Make sure the info is like so:

Intensity: 5
Contrast: 50

Next Go to Filter/Texture/Craquelure/texturizer. Change info to:

Sandstone
Scaling: 50
Relief: 1
Light: bottom left (this can vary).

This should get your skin making started. You won't have to do all that mapping and stuff. Actually you can start with a blank page and add a light peach to it and do thi and you will see the skin texture. Of course you can vary this method.

Now you have a skin texture
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 6th Jul 2006 at 9:28 PM
I also found that Noise is good for making hair. There was a much more complex tutorial out there, but since Sims has so much smoothing, I played around until I found something easier. I just make a new file, fill it with noise, use wind to make it a bunch of straight lines, then adjust the hue and saturation to the color I want, play around with brightness/contrast, then use Liquify (playing with the sliders, depending on how much and where I want the waves) to get the ends to the right spots. I'm sure there's an easier way out there, but it's kinda fun to just play with it.

Page 1 of 4