Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 7:29 AM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 21st Oct 2006 at 1:26 PM.
Default Default Replacement Package for Making Your Own Pet Eyes
I love the fur textures but the eye textures Maxis used are FAR too cartoony, especially considering the beautiful fur. It took me a while to track down which of the bazillion textures are used for cat and dog eyes, but here ya go.

Attached is a .package file that should default-replace all the cat and dog eyes. I have gone ahead and imported the full-size textures for you to use as a base for your eye textures - I have also attached the .pngs in the file as there is a bit of image degredation each time you edit and Build DXT. Otherwise I have NOT changed the textures in any way, so if you put the .package file as-is in your game, you will see no change. This is merely a template for you to make your own.

Please note that the game uses eye textures that are part of a fur texture - so ALL you can/should change on these is JUST the eye part. Leave the fur and everything else alone.

It should be fairly obvious from the colours if you look on the textures, but here's what replaces what:

Dog Eyes: (names start with 'du')
Black/Darkest Brown - cblack
Blue - cdkbrown
Brown - ccream
Dk Blue - cmedbrown
Dk Green - cgolden
Green - cbluegrey
Red - cred
Silver - cdkgrey
Violet - csilver
Yellow - cwhite

Cat Eyes: (names start with 'fu')
Blue - csilver
Brown - corange
Brown Green (Dk Brown) - cblack
Green - cdkbrown
Grey - cgrey
Lt Blue - cwhite
Lt Green - cltbrown
Yellow - cyellow

I haven't tested these myself yet as I don't have any good textures to use just yet (though I do plan on trying to make some better than the Maxis ones) so please let me know if you have any trouble. Edit: I've now tested them with some textures I slapped together and these do work just fine as defaults. My textures suck though, so please make use of this if you can. We need better pet eyes.

General instructions on how to make a default replacement skin (and therefore eyes as well) may be found here. Please ask there if you have trouble with making default replacements... The files attached here are, well, designed for people who know what they're doing.

Of course, you can only have ONE default replacement of anything in the game, so make sure if you use these, you tell people so, and have a nice descriptive filename including DEFAULTREPLACEMENT so people can find them and remove them later easily.

If you do use these, a line of credit for the originals would be nice.

Other than that, go nuts.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  peteyes.rar (5.94 MB, 337 downloads) - View custom content

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
6 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 7:50 AM
Oh...GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much!! May I ask you to make default replacement template for this unrealistic green cat/dog texture?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 7:57 AM
cat3000 - I do have some vague plans to replace the ugly neon green and neon yellow with full-saturation green and blue, and the bright red with full-saturation red. If I do so, then one could use a combination of those three plus black and white to create a pet in any colour. (RGB + black and white = unlimited possibilities) However, there is a TON of textures for each colour to find and replace, including the fur accessories, and... to be quite honest... I wanna play!! So... yes, eventually, probably.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
#4 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 8:00 AM
Thanks again for you help!!! I will wait.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th Jan 2007 at 7:38 AM
With these files, could you also replace the fur? I only ask because it looks like the eyes are attacked to the full fur texture.. Maybe I'll just test this out.

Also thanks so much for creating these, its going to be great help in creating.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Jan 2007 at 11:14 AM
Yes, you could, but these are -not- all the required files to change a single fur colour - there are also fur accessories, other textures, etc.... One -could- do a full fur replacement but I think it's going to be better to just wait until we can do custom fur textures and do a whole set like that, since besides the funky colours (which are still useful) there's not really anything that needs replacing.

Forum Resident
#7 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 4:50 PM
Hmmm, thanks. I've wanted to try my hand at pet eye's for a while now but I was wondering, is there a way to create non default pet eye’s?
Forum Resident
#8 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 6:14 PM
O.k. So I've searched around and it seems you can't create non default pet eyes...
Why does everything I want to do seem almost imposible...
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th Jul 2007 at 4:00 PM
I love this I finally made my own pet eyes.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I also have a small question. How do you give default replacement eyes to puppies and kittens?

To sim or not to sim thats the question.
Test Subject
#10 Old 27th Dec 2007 at 8:02 AM
May I ask if there is any way that you could also make this as a zip file? My computer wont let me install rar files..
Test Subject
#11 Old 24th Sep 2009 at 2:07 AM
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Test Subject
#12 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 6:56 AM
very helpful post.. thanks for sharing..
Test Subject
#13 Old 24th Jul 2013 at 7:19 PM
Thanks
Thank you sooo much!