Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 8:54 PM Last edited by goderguy : 11th Feb 2017 at 3:10 PM.
Default Unable to edit alphas or bumpmaps [SOLVED]
After dealing with several issues to get Body Shop to work, I can now recolor, change saturation, lighten, sharpen, etc. the texture file, import it and all is great with the world. However, any time I attempt to edit the alpha or bumpmap files, the alpha disappears and I'm left with a naked Sim mannequin. I even tried importing it anyway, thinking the image will generate properly, but it does not. As I've explained elsewhere on the Forum recently, I have a new Acer PC with a after-factory GeForce graphics card, and I run Windows 10. I've already solved the compatibility issue with Windows 10, and I solved the issue with very blurry projects, but it seems I have yet another issue to deal with. Thanks in advance for any advice!

goderguy
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 9:53 PM
Have you tried saving using a different graphics editor? Are you moving the files before editing (which seemed to do the trick with your other problem)? If you can edit and save the texture files, I don't see why the alpha and bumpmap files should be any different; they're all in the same file format, after all.

If you have SimPE, you can save your texture as a PNG with transparency in your graphics editor (you'll need to combine your original alpha with your texture to get the transparent bits in the right places), and then import that PNG file using the Build DXT... function. This is my preferred method for getting textures into the game, anyway, as it eliminates the nasty Body Shop compression.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 7:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by goderguy
After dealing with several issues to get Body Shop to work, I can now recolor, change saturation, lighten, sharpen, etc. the texture file, import it and all is great with the world. However, any time I attempt to edit the alpha or bumpmap files, the alpha disappears and I'm left with a naked Sim mannequin. I even tried importing it anyway, thinking the image will generate properly, but it does not. As I've explained elsewhere on the Forum recently, I have a new Acer PC with a after-factory GeForce graphics card, and I run Windows 10. I've already solved the compatibility issue with Windows 10, and I solved the issue with very blurry projects, but it seems I have yet another issue to deal with. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Your problem I think is your graphic editor program and not have to do with your pc or graphic card. Although I personally would never ever buy an acer again. I would suggest trying out another. I have had a lots of problem earlier when I got my acer window 7. I tried the new version of Gimp and I was getting all kinds of weird results. Then I switched to an older version Gimp 2.6.11 and that solved my problems. Don't know if it's compatible with window 10 but maybe you can change compatability or if you're willing you can try photoshop or some that cost money which are compatible.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 10:53 PM
I will try running Paint.Net with Windows 8, or try to figure how to install my older version of it (it's on the external hard drive I had all my data transferred to from the old PC). I would prefer not to switch programs because until now, I have been extremely happy with what it could accomplish with the projects I had. I also don't want to spend more money - just bought a new PC, new graphics card, the external hard drive, the data transfer, and a new vehicle too... Hopefiully it's just a compatibility issue. I could also leave the alphas alone ;-) Thanks for the advice!

goderguy
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 11:53 PM
Update - I tried changing the compatibility to Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP, and that did not correct the issue. I then tried to re-install the old version again, and there's some component missing (Windows CC+ or Windows C++), so it won't install. Looks like I'll have to try a few other options like SimPE or a new graphics editor. Thank again!

goderguy
Forum Resident
#6 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 5:45 AM
Update - I tried changing the compatibility to Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP, and that did not correct the issue. I then tried to re-install the old version again, and there's some component missing (Windows CC+ or Windows C++), so it won't install. Looks like I'll have to try a few other options like SimPE or a new graphics editor. Thank again!
It seems like there's an issue with compatability anyway. It's either something with window 10,your aftermarket gpu or i don't know what else. I know one can get used to some program and get attached to it but, if I were you I would try gimp. It's fre and I've been using it for years with good results. Every once in a while it freezes or my display drivers stop working. All that crap came with window 7 as I never had any such problems with my old xp.

My acer predator is a real lemon. about half a year ago both the hd 7770 GPU and the net gear burned out on it and two different repair shops told me my motherbord won't accept anything other than amd products and furthermore no newere than hd7770 and as a result i got a 7750 cause that's all they could find and it makes trouble from time to time. I could buy a hd 7770 on amazon and that's the newest my motherbord will accept. I really don't want to change to window 8 or 10 as i feel everytime microsoft comes up with new stuff, they make trouble with older programs. That is why also if I had to, I'll have some shop build me a powerfull upgradable computer with window 7 installed. If you decided to give gimp a chance, stay away from the newer version and stick to old Gimp 2.6.11 as the newer version is a totall crap and you'll get weird results like blue skin and such in bodyshop. Good luck!
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 3:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by telefen
My acer predator is a real lemon. about half a year ago both the hd 7770 GPU and the net gear burned out on it and two different repair shops told me my motherbord won't accept anything other than amd products and furthermore no newere than hd7770 and as a result i got a 7750 cause that's all they could find and it makes trouble from time to time. I could buy a hd 7770 on amazon and that's the newest my motherbord will accept. I really don't want to change to window 8 or 10 as i feel everytime microsoft comes up with new stuff, they make trouble with older programs. That is why also if I had to, I'll have some shop build me a powerfull upgradable computer with window 7 installed. If you decided to give gimp a chance, stay away from the newer version and stick to old Gimp 2.6.11 as the newer version is a totall crap and you'll get weird results like blue skin and such in bodyshop. Good luck!

I downloaded Gimp 2.6.11 as you suggested. I have a HUGE ;learning curve, but I was able to do a simple alpha edit and save it. It not only didn't make my Sim mannequin naked, the edit actually appeared too! Thanks for the advice! :-)

goderguy
Forum Resident
#8 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 6:58 PM
I downloaded Gimp 2.6.11 as you suggested. I have a HUGE ;learning curve, but I was able to do a simple alpha edit and save it. It not only didn't make my Sim mannequin naked, the edit actually appeared too! Thanks for the advice! :-)
I'm glad I could be of help. As far as learning curve well, don't worry too much cause for an average recolor you don't use all those function. I am not sure but, maybe there's an online user manuall for that particular model. Good luck.