Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 7:42 PM
Default Windows like the TS1 windows?
Particularly those long octagonal space-agey ones.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 12:06 AM
Hm, do you have a screenshot for those of us who never played TS1? (Were there similar ones in TS2 Pets, perhaps? I seem to recall that had some space-agey build mode stuff but not sure any more .. )

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 8:39 AM
I spent hours on Google images but had forgotten how poor screenshots were in that game. Coupled with the fact that in those days most people also had metered connections and sites had bandwidth problems and what there was tended to get squished down into 100X100 jpgs. So I have nothing anyone could work from. I may make some myself eventually from memory if no one remembers seeing any

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 10:20 AM
*Simsamplebot pops in with image of a selection of Sims 1 windows*

(I swear the pill-shaped one 4th from right bottom row used to be octagonal, probably my Sims 1 era hardware!)
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 10:26 AM
Hmm I must have been thinking of that tall oval one then, but I could have sworn the corners were octagonal rather than rounded. That and/or the one with the two funny angled bars. One of those are what I need for the replica house I have made. I also miss that plain brown timber one, I seem to remember it fits just nice above counters. Maybe the ocatagonal one was in an ep?

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 5:53 PM
Can't find an octagonal one- I have Sims Complete and this is the lot!

I have a load of stuff from the official Sims site too, but can't find a window amongst that.
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 6:37 PM
That is just so weird. I had it fixed in my mind. I don't even want it now. My Sims 1 memories are nothing but a hollow sham

But thanks for getting the pic for me, at least it has laid the ghosts to rest.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 8:00 PM
Thing is though Inge, when I read your post I thought 'I remember that window'! When I booted up the game to take a pic for you I was surprised it wasn't there. Maybe we're remembering some CC someone made, or perhaps the window was hexagonal at VGA resolution?

I still play Sims 1 too, so it proves how much attention I pay!
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 8:12 PM Last edited by Inge Jones : 1st Oct 2015 at 8:38 AM.
I reckon they must have updated it themselves. If you and I both remember it ***OCTAGONAL*** (ffs Inge get it right)... I am going to ask in the TS1 forum at N99

Scholar
#10 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 12:17 AM
I remember the octagonal window as well. Sounds like a Sims themed glitch in the matrix! :D

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 8:44 AM
Could it be the graphics driver?

Scholar
#12 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 12:02 AM
Possible. The machine I used to run TS1 on was a complete piece of shit that my mom thought would be a good starter computer for me. Now that I have a fairly good gaming laptop, really want to buy TS1 and play it again just to see what else is different.

Scholar
#13 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 5:22 AM
I just checked on my daughters ancient pc.....Been packed away for at least 6 years. Was surprised it actually turned on. Well I can safely say that the windows are as in the pictures above. They were only the rounded corners not octagonal corners. This was looked at on an XP machine...I too thought I remembered an octagonal type of window but the Sims 1 I have is with all expansions and a truck load of CC. I still have no octagonal windows.
Original Poster
#14 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 9:44 AM
Well something weird is going on if so many of us can remember that damn window and it just didn't happen. Cos I remember when some creator brought out a range of "space age" windows with rounded corners like the one in the picture here, and how happy I was to download them - but that was much later.

Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#15 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 6:04 PM
Well, the Sims 3 has them. Maybe your memory merged the one with the other?
Original Poster
#16 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 8:09 PM
You never know. At my age one year is pretty much like the last

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
Well, the Sims 3 has them. Maybe your memory merged the one with the other?

Darnit, getting old sucks so much!

(In future, please regard any conversations that Inge and I have as being senile ramblings of dubious accuracy!)
Field Researcher
#18 Old 5th Oct 2015 at 5:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Well something weird is going on if so many of us can remember that damn window and it just didn't happen. Cos I remember when some creator brought out a range of "space age" windows with rounded corners like the one in the picture here, and how happy I was to download them - but that was much later.

It's a common phenomenon that you may recall (or not) happening before, like "I clearly remember that episode of <insert name of TV show here> where they shot that guy by mistake" and your friends agreeing with you only to be proven wrong when you watch the episode on DVD. Or, "I loved how they put that tomato and basil paste on that chicken sandwich <insert fondly remembered cafe here> used to make" and your family agreeing with you only to find a menu of the time mentioning mayonnaise on that sandwich and not tomato paste at all. Even how your late mother cooked things that you couldn't replicate because you had the wrong ingredient in it, etc.

The trigger is usually caused by a simple statement by one person 'recalling clearly' how something was and others recalling the same thing but subconsciously transferring it from (as in this case) one game from another. Even if you haven't played the game, you may have seen it in a screenshot or forum or even while a friend was playing. No one's brain is actually broken or anything, so not need to panic!

-- The Roc
Scholar
#19 Old 5th Oct 2015 at 6:17 AM
Or, you know, it's a glitch in the matrix/Mandela Effect. *puts on my tin foil hat*

Original Poster
#20 Old 5th Oct 2015 at 8:59 AM
But no, it definitely wasn't those I was remembering. I remember the chunky frames Sims 1 style, and they only came down as far as the oval ones. It may be a false memory but seeing those it's definitely a false TS1 memory rather than some other game.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 6:29 PM
Sorry to swoop in and necro the shit out of this thread...

But I would like to confirm that as much as you all - and myself too - thought that this was DEFINITELY a thing in TS1, it most certainly isn't. And it's not a thing in TS2 either, so clearly we must all be thinking of TS3.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Original Poster
#22 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 7:09 PM
Oh absolutely not. We were barely out of TS3 when I made my post.