Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 6:12 PM
Default that's pretty gay
it says on the title of the skinning forum you can post requests then on the inside it says NO REQUESTS! dang make up ur mind people.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 6:13 PM
lol...yeah
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#3 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 6:17 PM
no, it is not gay. there is a specific thread just for requests - which is the first thread. it says not open up new threads just for requests.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 6:27 PM
Default it dont matter
if the forum says requests on it the whole thing should be able to be used just that lil tiny thread will fill up so fast noone will be able to find anything maybe you guys should change what the outside says.
Test Subject
#5 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 6:36 PM
I'm not trying to knock you or anything babygirl, but I have to point out that the system in place has been working pretty well so far. The modders/skinners/etc. here WANT to take on these request projects. If a request doesn't get done chances are it just didn't interest anybody. Giving that individual request it's own thread isn't gonna make it any more or less appealing.
Test Subject
#6 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 6:38 PM
u got a point there
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 6:41 PM
not trying to make a big deal but ok you guys are the boss.. it's just it takes forever to look at what people are wanting made
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 6:48 PM
and i just feel bad for the people who's request are on the thousandth page :weep: it take so long to go through them.. by the time you even get half way through your bored, tired and don't even want to bother.. I'd like to suggest maybe another thread.. or something.
Test Subject
#9 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 6:49 PM
true true
Test Subject
#10 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 6:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by *~babygirl~*
not trying to make a big deal but ok you guys are the boss.. it's just it takes forever to look at what people are wanting made

I totally understand where you're coming from babygirl. I'm sorry if I came off as "That's the way it is. Deal with it!!" That's not my job. I just don't want you getting into trouble with the admins/mods here for ignoring the established guidelines.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 7:04 PM
I am not going to ignore the guidlines or anything I just think it a lil much for all those requests in the little thread.. but thanx anyways I know you wern't being mean :D
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 7:05 PM
babygirl, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't use the term 'gay' in reference to a derogatory term. If it's lame, bad, or crappy, call it so. We're not 8th graders... well, mostly.

Thanks for reading this. If you do it or not, I really don't care, but I just don't want to have offended users.

Have a good one,
Vin.
Test Subject
#13 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 7:08 PM
Yeah, well, while we're on the subject of making requests, here's one of my own. In future, when we mean "That's pretty dumb," or, "That's not right," or even, "I think this stinks," can we say that instead of commenting on the situation's "gayness"?

Thanks a bunch.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 7:10 PM
lol. rrrrrrright! ok vin.. i understand.. it's just that i come from a military fam with used much more harsh words and I got attached to them and I am trying to get rid of talking like that so i used gay.. a step down from other words but i guess you right.. wouln't want to cause a big fuss.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 7:15 PM
and for all the people who are going to cry about that word i am not talking about a person... so the issue has already been resolved! I will talk to an adm about a new thread for requests or something if ya don't like that word dont read the post. Like i said I have already talked to a couple peeps and the subject is gone.. sinisin2000 thanks!
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#16 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 4:15 AM
Yeah, um, that's not gay. I'm gay. It doesn't mean I'm stupid or make no sense. So find a new word that actually expressed your meaning.

You can post requests on this forum. Post them in the Requests thread stickied to the top of the forum. If gay people can figure that out, I'm sure your superior self can too.

RG
Field Researcher
#17 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 4:37 AM Last edited by rentechd : 20th Jan 2005 at 4:50 AM.
and i just feel bad for the people who's request are on the thousandth page :weep: it take so long to go through them.. by the time you even get half way through your bored, tired and don't even want to bother.. I'd like to suggest maybe another thread.. or something.

It is MUCH easier to read through 1 thread, especially since the way thread work is that when you come back to read you co to where you left off so the modders/devs/ creators only have to read the post the posts added since the last time they read it.

It is MUCH harder for a dev or modder or creator to have to hunt through pages of threads reading 100;s of different threads trying to see what us requested in this post and that post, etc. When that happenes requests get missed, dropto the end and get over looked, ignored and forgotten.

The 'request thread' in each forum is 'stuckied' to the top of the forum sp its easier to find.

lol. rrrrrrright! ok vin.. i understand.. it's just that i come from a military fam with used much more harsh words and I got attached to them and I am trying to get rid of talking like that so i used gay.. a step down from other words but i guess you right.. wouln't want to cause a big fuss.

I am married to a carrer millitary office; I served in the military AND I come from a military family. Before I get to your usage of gay, you have compounded by insulting every military family as a stereotype of of cussing, swearing oafs. What type of family you come from is not and excuse for being rude, crass or insulting.

and for all the people who are going to cry about that word i am not talking about a person... so the issue has already been resolved! I will talk to an adm about a new thread for requests or something if ya don't like that word dont read the post. Like i said I have already talked to a couple peeps and the subject is gone.. sinisin2000 thanks!

Now that you have heard from both RGiles and myself, both of who are moderators I am sure you must now be aware that the one request thread is policy. You are NOT special and will not get a special request thread.

I want to also put you on notice that the manner in which you used the word gay is considered inflamatory; used in manner to inflame; flaming is against the policies of these forums and usually results warnings and post deletions.

Also, when you have a thought to add to a post you just made - edit the post and add your additional thoughts - don't add another post on teh same subject. That is called spamming a thread which is also against policy.

Come visit www.variousimmers.net where my original objects and recolors now reside. The site hosts many other creators, moddres and developers.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 4:53 AM
I am sure she wasn't trying to offendanyone. I have a teenage and a pre-teen and also have a teenage brother and have been around their friends. And I am sorry to say they use that word alot. I do not allow it, but it does slip out of them from time to time. but if your listening to their refernce to the word they do not mean it to be a derogatory remark against gay people. I think it's just a dirty word kids use instead of something more awful and rude.

is just my opinion and in no way do I condone the use of it that way in any form...
#19 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 4:54 AM
Gay also means "happy."
Test Subject
#20 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 5:04 AM
I'm offended when people say don't use this word or that word saying that someone might get offended. If someone is so insecure about themselves that a word can offend or hurt them, then they shouldn't be on the Internet nor should they leave the house because god forbid someone might say something in public. People really need to lighten up.

As a side note Gay originally meant happy.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 5:13 AM
Care: It was pretty obvious, from her own statement of finding a 'less harsh word' that it was intended to be a hard word and if nothing to lash out at the mods/admins who removes her post and told her to use the request thread.

IllyriaAcolyte: Not in the context in which it was used.

Neo_Sniper : The site has policies about usage intended to inflame or when its considered 'name calling' or a personal attack (a personal attack can be to a specific person or group of people).

We are not saying don't say the word 'gay' if we did a good many of the posts on this board would be closed. The issue was taken on the connotation she used, the attempt to inflame the mods because she was angry and being told to stick with policy/rules and then was looking for special treatment of having another request thread from the same peoples she initially was attenpting to attack.

So, no one is saying don't say 'gay' we are pointing to her behavior and saying 'don't do that.
#22 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 5:17 AM
Rentechd: I know that the term has several different definitions so you needn't educate me. I'm just merely pointing out an oft forgotten fact...
#23 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Neo_Sniper
I'm offended when people say don't use this word or that word saying that someone might get offended. If someone is so insecure about themselves that a word can offend or hurt them, then they shouldn't be on the Internet nor should they leave the house because god forbid someone might say something in public. People really need to lighten up.

It doesn't hurt me. It's just rude. When talking to a group of strangers and trying to GET something from them, it's generally considered best to be polite. Use whatever words you like, but if you choose to use words that you know are derogatory, don't expect to get very helpful responses.

I tend to be a pretty helpful guy around these parts. Using a word that describes me in a derogatory way was... probably not the best idea.

I'll have to remember to start saying, "That was really Neo_Sniper" when I mean "stupid" since I'm sure you won't be bothered.

RG
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#24 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 1:04 PM
You're so right, RG. I do think that the original statement was a knee-jerk reaction using a phrase that has become, unfortunately, in vogue with kids lately. And "lately" is an important thing to remember. It has arisen out of a negative attitude towards a section of the population that is not, in any way, unknown. It is an specifically-directed insult, not something that has suddenly become un-PC. I wouldn't let my kids say that any more than I'd let them say "That's so n***er" or "That's so po***k" Sorry, I don't even want to type words like that. It's not like a group coming out and suddenly deciding to be offended at a phrase that's been in use for a long time (which, BTW, isn't always unjustified, either. . .) However, rather than attacking someone who uses the phrase, it's better to just point out the wrongness of it and ask that it not be used in the future. Most people are reasonable enough to understand and agree to that, I think.
#25 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 1:18 PM
True true. More annoying are the ones who come in with the "Get over it" attitude as if there's anything wrong with expecting people to be polite... or giving people the same level of respect that they've given you.

Consider it an object lesson to the kid in question. Using derogatory terms my get you jumped all over in a forum. It may get the crap kicked out of you in real life. Using the wrong derogatory term in front of the wrong person may even get you dead. What it won't do is help you to get what you want.

RG
Locked thread
Page 1 of 2