Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Feb 2022 at 8:04 PM Last edited by ninfalara : 6th Feb 2022 at 9:00 PM.
Default [FIXED] Nightmarish results after editing morph in Blender
Hello everyone!

I’ve been trying to skip Milkshape, as recommended by thornowl in this wonderful tutorial.
After carefully reading the instructions, I was able to figure out the bone editing part, but when it comes to morphs, it’s a complete disaster.

I tried to edit the fat morph only, and I’ve done every step as it is specified in the tutorial. When I import the WSO with all the morphs in TSRW, I get this.

I checked the file in Milkshape, and this is how the fat morph looks like.

On a previous attempt, which had the exact same result, the fat morph looked like a bat: with all the vertices from the arms connected to the vertices on the waist.

I checked a previous post on this, and the problem that user was having was a very high polycount. This is obviously not the case, since this is an EA mesh from 2010.

Just in case, I’ll quickly repeat here the steps followed that were published in the tutorial:
  • Extracted the .simgeom for LOD1 (S3PE)
  • Extracted the .blendgeom for the fat morph (S3PE)
  • Used MTK to convert the .blendgeom to .simgeom
  • Imported the .simgeom for LOD1 to Blender (Blender GEOM Tools v2.1.3)
  • Clicked on “Import Morphs” and imported the fat morph. (I noticed that, when imported this way, this morph doesn’t have a UV map).
  • Changed the position of some vertices (didn’t add, split, or remove anything).
  • Selected the base GEOM mesh, and clicked on “Export GEOM”. I got two files: the base and the fat morph.
  • Used MTK to convert this back to WSO. I had also extracted the other morphs from S3PE to use in this step.
  • Imported this newly created WSO to LOD1 in TSRW.

I’m still learning how to use these tools, so I’m assuming that this is very much caused by a user error.

What could be causing this completely deformed fat morph?

EDIT: FIXED IT!!

I'm not 100% sure of what caused the issue in the first place, but this is my most solid theory: it was my mistake

I always save each step in separate files, because of how scarred TS3 left me.

When I exported the simgeom for LOD1 and the morphs, I named them in a very generic fashion, and then, when I exported them from Blender (after modifying them), I saved those in a separate file, with another generic name.

By the time I had to put everything together in MTK to convert to WSO, I must have mixed up the untouched base simgeom with the one attached to the modified morphs.

I repeated all the steps with three different files (including the one in this post), but this time using distinctive file names, and this time everything worked perfectly.

I'm very happy to ditch Milkshape, and I'm also very grateful to have found this generous community :D
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 5th Feb 2022 at 8:49 PM
Can you attach the photos to your post? Imgur just gives a spinning icon when I try to look at your pictures.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Field Researcher
#3 Old 5th Feb 2022 at 11:27 PM
Imported morphs don't get a UV map with my GEOM Tools because they don't need one, the UVs are defined by the base mesh, morphs can't modify UV coordinates.
If the vertex order wasn't changed my tool shouldn't be causing anything like this, morphs and base meshes get exported with the same vertex IDs.
The video clearly shows symptoms of the morph and base having different vertex order though, specifically the fat morph having the vertex IDs to the base and rest of the original morphs.
My guess is the problem is happening somewhere in the process of converting between GEOM and WSO.