Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
mature minion
retired moderator
#101 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 10:56 AM
This technique does very much still work, I'm currently playing around with it a lot on my build at the moment. I'm not sure which part of the process you're struggling with Tsyokawe. Some pictures would greatly help us to help you here

Just as a case in point, an example of this technique I made just the other day:
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 22nd May 2015 at 7:40 AM
I'm building one of these, and I'm wondering if it's possible to do more than one storey - the regular basement level with the grassy, routable slopes, and a second storey on top, with a grassy, routable roof. Has anyone played around with this?
mature minion
retired moderator
#103 Old 22nd May 2015 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lexipants
I'm building one of these, and I'm wondering if it's possible to do more than one storey - the regular basement level with the grassy, routable slopes, and a second storey on top, with a grassy, routable roof. Has anyone played around with this?

Not one above the other, you can only have one ground level. You can manipulate and bend that one level but it can't appear twice in the same spot
dodgy builder
#104 Old 22nd May 2015 at 5:49 PM
Just to give you some ideas on how to make it look nice.

I don't know if TeeHeeShe would have been able to avoid the black void you see below, it would be nice to know.

170115 Cross by Volvenom, on Flickr

Look out the window looking for the black void I'm talking about.

This is the decorated lot, with me decorating the edges of the basement to make it look neat on the outside. Seen from the inside of the basement, the void is still there.

Don't be confused on this picture. The green ground is the ground floor, what's below is the basement.
Test Subject
#105 Old 23rd May 2015 at 3:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tee Hee She
Not one above the other, you can only have one ground level. You can manipulate and bend that one level but it can't appear twice in the same spot

So it isn't possible to make the terrain 32 steps high and manipulate two levels of basement? Drat.
dodgy builder
#106 Old 23rd May 2015 at 8:35 AM
So it isn't possible to make the terrain 32 steps high and manipulate two levels of basement? Drat.

The floorlevels will always stay the same, you have to cover up the gaps somehow. You can't have smooth transactions between levels. On the picture above I use staircases to cover it up, and it looks neat ... but it's still two different levels.
mature minion
retired moderator
#107 Old 23rd May 2015 at 12:32 PM

Oh I misunderstood you there, you can do that but the game refuses to render almost everything below the first basement level if you're on ground or above level. So you get disappearing wall syndrome

Its a nice idea that you're thinking of but its not really practical with the way the game renders levels. It assumes you'd never be able to see things that low down if you were at ground height...which is wrong and a shame!
Test Subject
#108 Old 24th May 2015 at 8:40 AM
Curses! Ah well. Building is still fun, and my house turned out well regardless. :3
Test Subject
#109 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 1:56 AM
Default Doesn't work for me.
I tried this. My basement will not slope. It just raises the terrain back up when I do this step "Basement tool: click on the bottom corner of the blue area where it is flat and drag diagonally up to the bottom of the sloped row" I don't get it.
mature minion
retired moderator
#110 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdmblkrose
I tried this. My basement will not slope. It just raises the terrain back up when I do this step "Basement tool: click on the bottom corner of the blue area where it is flat and drag diagonally up to the bottom of the sloped row" I don't get it.

Are you struggling to create basement that is lower than your original basement or are you struggling to connect the two? I'm sorry I'm not exactly sure which bit you're struggling with
dodgy builder
#111 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 10:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdmblkrose

It's really quite simple, but then you have to adjust it and make something nice out of it, that's where the complications comes in. You just basically place basement from groundlevel on top of each other using the cheat constrainfloorelevation false/true. Remember to turn it off after using it. Lower the ground level with staircases and place a new basement on the new level, that way you get basements with different hights, and use those for terraces, garages or whatever. Linking them together with staircases from each floor, because the floors will still be there.
Test Subject
#112 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 10:46 PM Last edited by Jami1995 : 16th Apr 2020 at 11:03 PM.
So I'm not sure if anyone is still on this thread (thank you by the way, it is super helpful!!!), but does anyone know how exactly I can place the stairs into the basement from the ground level? The one where it's supposed to cut out 4 tiles? I can only place a staircase in the right direction after placing two in the directions left and right to it, and then it only goes down 4 steps and not into the basement, it will just lower the ground like normal. Is there a cheat I need to activate beforehand?
Also, is the stair around the building necessary or can I just make raise the basement for 4 more steps instead of lowering the ground 4 steps before starting to build?(I hope I'm making any sense)
dodgy builder
#113 Old 17th Apr 2020 at 1:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jami1995
So I'm not sure if anyone is still on this thread (thank you by the way, it is super helpful!!!), but does anyone know how exactly I can place the stairs into the basement from the ground level? The one where it's supposed to cut out 4 tiles? I can only place a staircase in the right direction after placing two in the directions left and right to it, and then it only goes down 4 steps and not into the basement, it will just lower the ground like normal. Is there a cheat I need to activate beforehand?
Also, is the stair around the building necessary or can I just make raise the basement for 4 more steps instead of lowering the ground 4 steps before starting to build?(I hope I'm making any sense)

It's a while since I did this now. I remember the stairs could be a hassle finding the right place for them. I had to put it down in the right place. You might have to adapt the building to fit the ground in some way.

The reason why you have the difference in height is because they are on different levels, and you can't get passed that. The basement is below the ground floor and it will have to be. There needs to be some sort of distance there. That is the one main rule you have to take into consideration. You cannot get passed the difference position of the levels, you might decorate them or put down staircases, but you can't delete them.
Test Subject
#114 Old 17th Apr 2020 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
It's a while since I did this now. I remember the stairs could be a hassle finding the right place for them. I had to put it down in the right place. You might have to adapt the building to fit the ground in some way.

The reason why you have the difference in height is because they are on different levels, and you can't get passed that. The basement is below the ground floor and it will have to be. There needs to be some sort of distance there. That is the one main rule you have to take into consideration. You cannot get passed the difference position of the levels, you might decorate them or put down staircases, but you can't delete them.

Thank you so much for your answer! After a few hours, I did get the stairs to work (I think my mistake was trying to place them from outside instead of from the basement). I can only place them one at a time and had to move the wall though. The ceiling is now no longer level with the wall:
The stairs also phase through the bottom of the basement, is that supposed to happen?
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#115 Old 17th Apr 2020 at 2:28 PM
I just remember holding down alt while pressing the staircase tool might be a good idea. The staircase actually have to end in the right spot. You should have a sim on the lot to test what you're doing. The lower wall might not be a problem, but you have to test it.
Test Subject
#116 Old 26th Apr 2020 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I just remember holding down alt while pressing the staircase tool might be a good idea. The staircase actually have to end in the right spot. You should have a sim on the lot to test what you're doing. The lower wall might not be a problem, but you have to test it.

Thank you so much! I couldn't play for a while but I just tried that and it worked!
Page 5 of 5