Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 7:51 AM Last edited by daisylee : 30th Oct 2017 at 3:08 PM.
Default Routing Test - !!!!!
I just made a ridiculous world that a sim should not be able to navigate. My sim had no problems whatsoever. Red areas that are too steep supposedly were no issue for her at all. She looked ridiculous but she made it everywhere. If the red steepness just means the look will be better and no body parts in the ground maybe I will worry about them a tad less? (!!!!) If sims can move there that is the main concern, right, and they sure can?

????? I really did not expect her to be able to do this.

https://imgur.com/a/1UsEN
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 7:55 AM

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 7:58 AM

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 7:59 AM

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 8:03 AM Last edited by daisylee : 30th Oct 2017 at 8:13 AM.

lower lever? what lever? she did not need one :D

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 8:03 AM

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 8:07 AM
In this test the red areas made no difference whatsoever. ???? She could go anywhere on land. And between the islands with the boat.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 11:26 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 30th Oct 2017 at 11:39 AM.
I seem to remember something like that from Stranda, I wanted it to look good though, so I worked a lot trying to make it look right when they used the paths. I finally dropped the paths because they gave me too much headache. The ground was much easier to handle on it's own. I used the red as a sign that it should be more even.

It's very nice of you to test though, now we actually know how it works.

I made some rediculous mountain tracking routes to the mountain. It sure looked silly, but it's what we have up here, and I never anticipated EA having made any mountain tracking animations really.

It also shows my suspicions was right, you really have to use your best judgement on routing. What EA says is not isn't always the greatest, but then they never are, they always do as little as they can get away with on everything.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 3:02 PM Last edited by daisylee : 30th Oct 2017 at 3:21 PM.
I was quite amazed when she was able to go everywhere. I cannot tell the hours I have spent smoothing paths assuming they would not work if there were red areas. I still want to smooth but will be a bit less paranoid about it as it really does not seem to make a difference. Wild horses probably cannot climb those cliffs though.... or maybe they can. That would be a sight to see!

I think we can fiddle in CAW forever and still learn things. Now back to my worlds in progress with a bit less work to do.

Blue paint is still going on most places as before, but now if there is some red on the paths and they work, I am leaving them alone and moving on.
Site Helper
#10 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 3:35 PM
I think that the routing AI may be different from when an active sim is running around and when an inactive sim is running around. Anytime I have a stuck sim, it's usually an inactive sim stuck in a spot that my active sim has been able to get to and out of with little to no trouble.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
dodgy builder
#11 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
I think that the routing AI may be different from when an active sim is running around and when an inactive sim is running around. Anytime I have a stuck sim, it's usually an inactive sim stuck in a spot that my active sim has been able to get to and out of with little to no trouble.

I've heard that before. Something to be aware of as well is narrow routed areas, when I worked on my mountain they kept changing for no apparent reason. I went over the same areas time and time again, and had to rework them several times.

Another thing about this test is the fact that a line that looks rediculous and a line that is broken. It isn't always that logical, or perhaps it's logical in a way, but still just plain silly.

Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Blue paint is still going on most places as before, but now if there is some red on the paths and they work, I am leaving them alone and moving on.

I just had to let it be on some of my steep places as well, after all I wanted them to be steep and it had to be like that or I would have a rediculously long "path" to get to my swimmable waterfall. Nothing beats testing it though, you can also setup Twallans Errortrap or is it Overwatch to follow inactive sims where they get stuck and try to fix it. I sometimes even had inactive sims getting stuck where I just couldn't find anything to fix. I just had to leave some traps for that reason alone.

Nothing beats using your own best judgement. Have the knowledge, but then just test the world and see if it works.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 4:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I've heard that before. Something to be aware of as well is narrow routed areas, when I worked on my mountain they kept changing for no apparent reason. I went over the same areas time and time again, and had to rework them several times.

So irritating! That was what I was noting in my other thread. I have done some areas over and over. I finally said on most that is enough. I have overwatch and error trap and tagger and other Nraas in and it really helps to find stuck sims. I wish there was a nanosecond more hesitation before the message appears though so see if they are really stuck or not? I have had quite a few messages and when I shift to the sim he/she is now tired of complaining and walking away just fine
dodgy builder
#13 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
So irritating! That was what I was noting in my other thread. I have done some areas over and over. I finally said on most that is enough. I have overwatch and error trap and tagger and other Nraas in and it really helps to find stuck sims. I wish there was a nanosecond more hesitation before the message appears though so see if they are really stuck or not? I have had quite a few messages and when I shift to the sim he/she is now tired of complaining and walking away just fine

Yes, that thing about the messages sounds like something I've experienced, but I don't really remember. I mean being sure you've got them all isn't really possible. The game has faults and some of them just has to be put in a bag for glitch and bugs I think. You can't really expect it to be 100% anyway. I like it to be perfect, but sometime I just have to leave it be and get on doing something else.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 10:32 PM
I think the red areas just show height - so it kind of gives you an idea of where to put the "blue" routing paint. I know it says non-routable..but it really is routable.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st Oct 2017 at 11:20 AM
EA really is trying to confuse us!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 31st Oct 2017 at 11:08 PM Last edited by Anno2015 : 3rd Nov 2017 at 5:57 PM.
I use Sims more as creator than player (I use CAW & build/develop lots) and like to experiment. I started out with 3d development in AutoCAD but thats a complex method to visualize simple architecual experiments.... Sims is way easier (within 3 hours a -not to complex- lot and within 10-15 h for a simple map instead of at least 50 h), to be fair I only played with sims to get sims with a certain name in a certain house and then switch back to edit town mode... I won't notice any routing mistakes...

So maybe I'm not the person to say to much here... For me it's this simple: connect roads and keep those accessable, place lots connected to roads (I always place a road lined up with the lot in a 90 or 45 degree angle on the map (easy to make). If I want a connection to water I use a lot... Most of the time I use a beach or port (public accessable) or a residential (for private dock/beach etc) lot = I can use stairs to go down or "slope" the lot to water level (or in a creative mood a 20 floor high dive board). BUT I made over 60 worlds and 1000 lots (one better and complexer than the other) with sims 2 & 3. I still wanna learn (to deliver one day a perfect world with beatiful lots as end product of many experiments) and therefor "shadow read" topics like these... judge yourselves, a couple of ideas which could make a difference:

Type of terrain
You need to rebuild the routing data before you export the world you've created
Paint "real" unroutable terrain (blue)
It could be only on paths/roads the red is effective
It could be only on/in hors/car/bike the red is effective
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st Nov 2017 at 8:57 AM
This is still so much to learn, at least for me, so experimentation like this is good. Hmmmmm, I should have her get a horse and learn to ride and see what happens. Odds are the horse cannot go up those cliffs, but who knows? Maybe I will try that. If they can move around those pics will be totally strange. Off to get her a horse. :D
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 6:03 PM
In reality you can climb a mountain, a horse or car can't (was my mind)
can even be a child can't or a physicaly weak person isn't able to (Is your sim a sporty girl?)

I'll sponsor some hay for the horse (that I do plant in my towns and seen I don't play I don't have horse who eat it = I'll sponsor him/her until he/she dies!)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 7:23 PM Last edited by daisylee : 3rd Nov 2017 at 8:08 PM.
I really should do the test on a horse. If they can go all over I will be shocked even more! LOL

EDIT: Here goes! LOL My sim from before is totally frozen for some reason. Added a lot and new folks. Had them adopt a horse but it never came. The game did generate wild ones. They can climb the cliffs pretty well. If shorter they would have made it. Other sims who generated had no problems with the cliffs. As the owned horse did not appear I could not test, but I am guessing that it would have climbed as well with a rider?

It was pretty amazing that the wild horses did that on their own a few times.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 8:05 PM