Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 12:48 PM
Default Warnings
Can someone let me know if I need to care about this warning I get about my mods when I launch the game? Especially the ones with the big yellow exclamation mark All mods works fine so far, but the warnings are starting to make me paranoid. I can't remember much about s2 at the moment .Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 1:28 PM
This is safe and you do not have to worry about this warning. It warns you that this particular Custom Content is modifying how the game works.
The game will try to warn you every time it sees a file trying to overwrite its own game files. This is what mods do, and why we are downloading them! So all is fine here.
I would advise you though, to hide that warning message. You do not need it.
Load your neighborhood, then click on the 3 dots then select the little gear icon.
Display Custom Content Dialogue at Startup----------------set this to Off.
Quit your game, delete your cache files, and re-start it now. No more warning message.
Screenshots

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 1:54 PM
okay! Thank you so much Rosebine! I feel at ease now
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 1:54 PM
Just EA's silly screen, it's letting you know you installed a mod! *gasp* Lol yeah, that's all. As Rosebine said, turn it off and forget about it. Your game will go directly to hood chooser so it will load a little faster as well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 4:13 PM
You are welcome!

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 4:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Load your neighborhood, then click on the 3 dots then select the little gear icon.
Display Custom Content Dialogue at Startup----------------set this to Off.
Quit your game, delete your cache files, and re-start it now. No more warning message.

Holy Crap! I've been playing Sims 2 since it first came out, and I didn't know about this! HOW did I NOT know about this?! Thank you Rosebine--I learned something new today. And now, I'm off to get rid of that damn screen!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 4:25 AM
Oh wow, well we all have things like that I guess. Took me years to figure out what the swatch tool is for. But yes, no need to suffer EA's scaremongering screen.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 6:45 AM
I just keep the screen on, because I'm paranoid that somehow my CC will get disabled, and I won't know until I load a house and everything will go pear-shaped. It's just one more click, nothing serious.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 7:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
But yes, no need to suffer EA's scaremongering screen.

LOL. If I remember correctly, wasn't this something that became a thing because of the amount of unintentional mod sharing across the exchange, though? I remember back in the day having some cc and then only after an update or an expansion pack did the game start throwing up warnings for the same stuff I had the day before... I think it was the scissors that I had which it didn't warn me about one day and then I updated my game and boom, suddenly it was acting as if the scissors would implode my game.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 7:16 AM
Yeah, that's why the Clean Installer was made, because people would package lots in games with mods and upload them to the exchange, and then the people who downloaded them would get the mods hitching a ride and no one knew what was actually in their game because all of the files were named 1294374237236536.package.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 7:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
I just keep the screen on, because I'm paranoid that somehow my CC will get disabled, and I won't know until I load a house and everything will go pear-shaped. It's just one more click, nothing serious.

You can disable CC while in game, that just means it doesn't show in the catalogue, it doesn't disappear off your lot. I use the feature all the time when hunting down something pesky like the sprinkler. Easier to find without CC. That screen has nothing to do with it showing in your game, that screen is to let you know what you have installed.

Can you please not double and triple post, it's against site rules. Use the edit button.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 8:04 AM
I didn't double post...? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Quote:
You can disable CC while in game, that just means it doesn't show in the catalogue, it doesn't disappear off your lot. I use the feature all the time when hunting down something pesky like the sprinkler. Easier to find without CC. That screen has nothing to do with it showing in your game, that screen is to let you know what you have installed.

I think that must be something different. If you disable the CC from that dialog, it just isn't used at all, which could potentially cause problems with hacks and genetics.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 8:43 AM
Ugg, sorry, I'm very tired today I read up and saw your name 3 times. The other posters name looked the same.

I'm not sure what you mean. I have that load screen off, have for years. The other setting I frequently turn off to find things. I turn it back on once it's found but have never had an issue with it. Turning it off does not make items disappear off your lot or sims, it only disappears from the catolouge and they reaper as soon as you turn it back on.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 9:03 AM
There's a check box at the bottom of the warning dialog that allows you to enable or disable CC. You have to switch it to enabled the first time you start the game with CC, and then restart. I'm just worried that something other than that dialog can result in CC being disabled, but if I keep the dialog up it will always assure me that the CC is enabled based on what is set there (and if it isn't, I can enable it using the dialog).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 12:22 PM
it won't turn itself off, but if the screen makes you feel better leave it on.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 10:41 AM
Once you have enabled your cc (or disabled it) - you can turn off the loading screen. And turn it on again whenever you want. Jo is right - those are 2 different things that can be turned off or on.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 10:57 AM
I think I figured out what the confusion is, on that warning page you have the enable and disable toggle. I forgot about that one, so there is that then the other two in settings once you reach hood view. Yes you do need that warning screen 'enable CC' toggle on, that is different to turning the screen off under the cogwheels in game. The two under cog wheels is one that lets you turn off catalogue CC in game or CAS CC so it doesn't show-it is not disabled. Then the second one makes it so that first warning screen during loading doesn't show, it doesn't enable or disable anything. If that makes sense on the three separate areas.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#18 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 2:08 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 23rd Apr 2018 at 2:39 PM. Reason: typos!
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
There's a check box at the bottom of the warning dialog that allows you to enable or disable CC. .. .I'm just worried that something other than that dialog can result in CC being disabled, but if I keep the dialog up it will always assure me that the CC is enabled based on what is set there (and if it isn't, I can enable it using the dialog).
I think I have a little warning of my own to add.

Because (as my Sim Andrew often tells me) I'm a lazy slob, I've never bothered to turn that dialogue off. But one day I must have accidentally clicked on "Disable Custom Content" before I clicked on OK in it. When I opened the 'hood I noticed that CC objects were missing, or had been replaced by Maxis objects. I had to reload the game and re-enable CC. Then I noticed that customised settings on CC items had been lost. I had to restore the 'hood I had opened from backup. I think I also restored the neighborhood.package files for my other (unopened ) 'hoods from backup, but no other files in those neighbourhoods had been changed, so I didn't have to do a full restore on them. All told, it caused me quite a bit of unnecessary work, and it would have been much simpler if I'd just disabled that dialogue like Jo does. If the dialogue doesn't display, you can't click on the wrong option in it! One of these days I'll get round to disabling it!!

I used to think that the list of files in that dialogue might be useful for checking the load order of mods, but now I don't think it actually shows them in load order.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.