Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 2:36 PM
I eventually found out that I was being prevented from downloading items because I had an adblocker installed. I decided to be nice and turn adblocker off for their page only, even if this meant ads. But given how the ads now caused the whole page to take way too long to load (it's only about 10-12 items per page, so I look at them and decide if I want to or don't want to download them very fast), it got annoying to navigate. Haven't checked it out in a few weeks, so I don't know if this thing is gonna hit me... fortunately, I mostly went there for children's clothes (specifically those made by Ilika) and I have several of those for Sims 3 already downloaded and safe in a different folder.

We'll see what happens, if I decide to check the place out again.
Scholar
#78 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 2:41 PM
I haven't noticed any problems. But maybe that's because I almost never use TSR. I only use maxis match and almost all their cc clashes badly with my game. I only go there when I need a mesh that can't be found anywhere else. I had no idea they had any mods worth downloading. I'm a tiny bit curious. EDIT: Just checked it out. Pose packs and CAS screens... not my thing.
Mad Poster
#79 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 2:49 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Jan 2019 at 3:02 PM.
The only TS2 mods I find useful over there are a couple of OMSPs by AnoeskaB (I think?) that rotates the sim or item in 5 degree increments, possibly also a few default replacements. Haven't seen much of TS4 mods there, but I haven't been looking for them. Most of the time I'm interested in furniture sets and such.

The most annoying item I ever found over there was a fire alarm by LDG (it caused my game to crash if I ever opened the Electronics menu or tried visiting a downloaded lot with the item in it), but after removing all the copies from my Downloads folder, then extracting the resources and making a safe deco replacement, I haven't had any issues, and my game stopped crashing. It's possible TSR gets a bad rep because of the occasional buggy files - but I don't think any site is completely innocent in this.

I mainly don't like TSR because even after they removed the original pay/donation wall, they still treat players badly, and punish those who don't want to pay for their content with slow loading, ads, timers, and whatnots. It's content or access behind a paywall that gets me upset and annoyed, and if they don't respect players, they shouldn't be surprised if players don't respect them back.

I don't mind sites that use voluntary donations in a non-punishing, non-perky way to keep a site running (MTS and Insim, to name a few), because that's the decent way to do it (they do have some perks - but mainly in name, like a shiny achievement or custom title or some such, which is completely with in the okay parameter).
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#80 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Players refused to comply with the change, so around Walt's Thanksgiving vacation that year, Pescado rescued the site by transferring as much of the site as possible to another domain and eventually setting up Insimenator.org, throwing off Walt completely before he could do anything with it. The site is again under player control, and runs off donation drives (voluntary ones, that is). I'm not sure if anyone knows what happened to Walt, but I can imagine he got pretty pissed off

A group of us have recently done the same with a facebook neighborhood group (5K+ members) that was sold by the admins to a vetted tradesman business who wanted to promote their paying tradesmen above the ones we were already happily recommending (or otherwise) to each other. The remaining normal admin adminned another 200 of us and we spent the night removing all the other members and posts. A few days later, the purchaser de-adminned themselves and ran off, nursing the loss of about £6k. It made the BBC News! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46323647

Not long after, Facebook issued a statement saying they were banning the sale of group admin rights.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#81 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 5:23 PM
Scholar
#82 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 5:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Not long after, Facebook issued a statement saying they were banning the sale of group admin rights.

You'd think such things as rules wouldn't have to be specifically stated, believing people to have the decency or an amount of common sense that told them it's not okay to do.... but if sense were common, everyone would have it.
Page 4 of 4