Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Nov 2012 at 4:45 PM Last edited by Zurgo : 13th Nov 2012 at 5:58 PM.
Tattoos are making game crash/don't show up in game
I'm trying to make some tattoos of my own, but every time I go to see if they work in game something goes wrong. If I put my files in as a .package file, either using the Tattooinator or TSR Workshop and then the Multipack Installer, my game crashes after I load up a save. If I pack them as .sims3pack, it simply doesn't show up at all.

I'm following http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=411332 for tattooinator and http://www.thesimsresource.com/reso...xturing/id/238/ for TSW almost to a T. The only thing I'm doing differently for TSW is choosing the "human" option for what species the tattoo should work on (the tutorial version looks to be pre-pets). My game is patched up to date, and I have all expansions besides Showtime (and now Seasons), and no stuff packs.

Is there something I'm missing because these tutorials are outdated? Or am I doing something else horribly wrong to make my game explode?

Edit: It would probably also be helpful to say that other custom tattoos are working in my game. Only mine aren't working.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Nov 2012 at 6:00 PM
Perhaps you could attach one of your files?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Nov 2012 at 8:31 PM
Here they are! I included a .package from Tattooinator, as we as a .sim3pack. I also included a picture so you know what you're looking for ingame

I don't know how it'll look if you get it to work, so I apologize if its all pixelly and poopy.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Zurgo Tattoos.rar (207.9 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 1:34 AM
It works fine in my game, both in CAS and in-game. I don't see anything strange off-hand and it's hard to imagine what could affect both packages made with Tattooinator and sims3packs made with TSRW. Tomorrow I'll take a closer look.
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#5 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 3:06 PM
The only thing I see that's wrong is that you've got the image in your alpha channel - it's going on top of the image in your R channel and making the tattoo not recolor correctly. For a this particular tattoo you should make the alpha all transparent - in GIMP it'll be solid black. But that shouldn't cause the crashing you're having.

And now I've tested with both the Tattooinator and TSRW versions in my game and only the TSRW one shows up. I have no clue why since the two CASPs have different instance IDs. Very strange.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Nov 2012 at 3:01 PM
I had the alpha transparent for a while, actually, but after trying to make it work a couple times I put it in to see if that was the problem. I am using Photoshop CS6 instead of Gimp, but the only problem that I could possibly see that would cause would be how the DDS extension for it is working. I know what I'm doing more so in Photoshop, so I don't think I'm adding weird things to the file that shouldn't be there.

Man, I do not know whats going on. I seriously don't know why the package completely destroys my game.

Thank you very much for helping me. I appreciate it! :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 6:20 PM
I was actually able to get it to work by switching the DXT5 to 3. Do you think that having only one color channel enabled has something to do with it? Or should that not really matter.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#8 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 1:58 AM
I guess that's possible - I know if you skip color channels - if you have Red and Alpha enabled but not Green and Blue, for example - it messes up the tattoo. Also, it looks like the EA tattoo textures are uncompressed so maybe it's a combination of a single channel enabled and a compression it's not expecting. Just a guess.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Dec 2012 at 9:07 PM
I started having problems with my tattoos again after I had successfully gotten it to work in game that one time. Saving it as DXT 5 or 3 didn't really matter, but I figured it out anyway! I was windows all along, I had to mess with Data Execution Prevention for my game (by following the guide here http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ion_Prevention).

My tattoos were the reason why windows was freaking out when I opened my game, but I really don't understand it. I think the one time it had worked for me was a fluke. I've only tried using the tattooinator for making the .package files sense I've gotten it to work, so I dunno if the Workshop is working. The tattooinator is just a lot easier to use. I'd like to thank you, CmarNYC, for helping me and making the program! Hopefully if anyone else has this problem or something similar, they can be pointed in the right direction :D