Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 1:17 AM
Default Interior lighting issue?
No exactly sure where to put this post. Whenever I have an exposed wall end in a building, it appears black or near black. Everything else seems to be lit fine. Its the same for full walls or half walls. Is this something only I am experiencing? Or is this intentional for some reason? I don't want a lighting mod or anything to correct it, but it does bother me somewhat. I have resorted to putting posts/columns there sometimes to cover it up, but a post isn't always practical or aesthetically pleasing. I know in TS2, this wasn't an issue.

goderguy
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 2:02 AM
Here is a screenshot
Screenshots

goderguy
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 2:07 AM
This is definitely not normal. It doesn't happen in my game and I don't think it ever has.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 2:09 AM
I don’t know what a deviceconfig is... I usually play with walls that disappear so not an issue, but when I want to take screenshots, it is soooo noticeable! Is it the way lighting is configured in the game?

goderguy
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 2:46 AM
So strange... thanks for playing around with it! This is my second computer playing TS3, and I recall it being an issue on the first computer too.

goderguy
Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 3:00 AM
Didn't know it makes such a difference but yeah, I can imagine it's something my GPU finishes rendering before I get the chance to really process what I'm seeing on-screen. Loading in interiors is definitely something that happens in steps but I rarely see any grey meshes and all the extra loading seems to be related to natural light. I'll see if I can video it.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 3:14 AM
My wall edges NEVER render to the color they should be, even if I'm in the same room for a long time. So perhaps my video cards on both computers weren't/aren't up to par. But I'm not buying a new one, or upgrading, just to get non-black wall edges. Thanks again!

goderguy
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
But also, what GPU are you running? Issue might not be GPU, but simply a cache issue with HDD.

My GPU is an NVidia GeForce something or another. Not sure the specifics on my HDD. I’m not on my pc at the moment. I have not tried the delete and undo trick; I will try that tomorrow.

goderguy
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 11:04 AM Last edited by KatyFernlily : 2nd Apr 2019 at 11:59 AM.
This happens in my game too. I use these pieces (wall end and corner) to cover up the dark edges. Makes a world of difference (don't have a screenshot at the moment).
https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...ms3/id/1072549/

Added screenshot - I even placed lighting around the area. (the pieces can hide ugly areas - and I use them to break up rooms with open floor plans.)
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#17 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 11:44 PM
Not to derail the thread here but I said I'd video it - how lots load in in my game. These lots are mostly for looking good so I personally don't really care if they take a bit longer to load in. Obviously the game is a lot slower when I'm recording, so I've sped the video up a bit to better reflect how it is in normal gameplay. Like I said, assets aren't really the problem and they'll load in quickly. But the lighting may take a few seconds.

insert signature here
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 11:57 PM
OK, I tried the delete and undo, and there was zero difference betwixt the before and after... :-( Oh well, we tried! I will use those end pieces from TSR. I'm somewhat glad I'm not the only one that experiences this. The description for the pieces at TSR even stated the purpose was to cover the blackish wall ends. :-)
Screenshots

goderguy
Instructor
#19 Old 3rd Apr 2019 at 7:16 AM
My walls have never looked like that, I think it has to do with your graphic settings perhaps? Is your card recognised by the game? What are your in game settings?

Here's an unedited pic of my walls in game.
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 3rd Apr 2019 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KatyFernlily
https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...ms3/id/1072549/

I downloaded these from TSR, but where are they located in game? The description on TSR doesn’t say, and the category the download is listed under on TSR doesn’t show with a direct link such as this.

goderguy
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 9:39 AM
It's located under columns in build mode.

Afterthought:

I turned up all my setting to high and the issue is still there. Sure, I don't have the best computer in the world and really it doesn't bother me...much. I'm just glad there are objects I can use to hide the ugly stuff that happens in game.
dodgy builder
#22 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 7:01 AM
I've seen this several times in more complex building structures, cfe buildings etc.