Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 12:12 AM
Default Linking stencils in island counters
This is not a new object but a default one I'm trying to modify. It does deal with object modding, though. I'm trying to add a new stencil to the base game Mission counters--one that gets rid of the stained glass. I halfway succeeded but the other half is driving me batty.

I used S3PE to open up the OBJDs for the base and island counters and added a new material to each. Using cmomoney's tutorial on creating paintings with multiple images, I replaced the instances of the stencils (A through D) with a blank texture and saved the OBJDs and the texture to a new file. Testing in-game, it seems to have worked great for the base counter, but the island is another story.

At the start, it's fine:

But once I add another counter, they both revert to Stencil A:

Yet if I try to recolour them, my default recolours show the blank stencil version where it should be and I can just change it back:

It must have something to do with how the island Base links up with EndE and EndW when they're connected. I've poked around the TypeCodes in Materials and tried adding Stencil E and my new texture's instance number to all the _XMLs that mention stencils, but no luck. Does anyone have any idea what else I need to modify? For reference, I added a new material to the OBJDs for counterBaseMission, counterIslandBaseMission, counterIslandEndEMission, and counterIslandEndWMission. The counterCornerMission/counterIslandCornerMission files were set up a little differently so I left them alone.

This is not an enormous deal since I can manually change them all to the blank stencil after placing the counters, but it drives me crazy not being able to figure out something in modding. Any poke in the right direction would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 9:00 PM
Which version of S3OC did you clone this with? Last time I checked, counters and such could only be cloned properly with a QA version, not the release one. I'm not sure if or when this was updated.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 12:16 AM
I didn't actually use S3OC to make this--just found the files in FullBuild0.package and extracted them to mess around with in s3pe. The version of S3PE I used was the last QA version from a couple weeks back which has apparently been promoted to release now.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 2:28 PM
If your trying to create a default override it might be easier to change the dds image for the stencils. If you clone the counter in S3OC with all boxes unticked it will pull all resources. This will give you the four stencils the counters use, and I would guess the islands use the same texture. This way you could replace just one of the glass textures if you want.

BTW - Pretty sure you can't have more than 4 stencils.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 6:16 PM
I wanted to have the original stencils plus my new one so that's why I didn't just do a texture replacement. This is the only issue I've found with adding the fifth stencil--the original four still link correctly. If it's due to a limitation in the coding then I can certainly live with a minor problem. Thanks for the help!