Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 5:58 AM
Default New build, new questions
So friends, a few questions about the lot I am working on. Thank you!

1. How many plants on a single commercial lot, 50 X 50, is too many, in terms of causing lag?
2. Is there a way of telling a sim where to go when they enter a commercial lot? Right now my test sim doesn't stop until he is in the rest room, which is not ideal.
3. Is there a way to get sims to cross a bridge, other than directing them to?
4. How do you make this lattice roof?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 7:06 AM
1. Depends probably a lot on the computer you use.
2. I'd like to know that one as well.
3. If there is no other way to the desired object, they will use a bridge autonomously. But it must be a really cool object.
4. cfe - like here for example or here.
dodgy builder
#3 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 9:22 AM
1. That I do not know. I have never seen a number. I would just look at the finished result and find something I could remove without ruining the look of the finished result.
2. I vaguely remember something in the cave building part of this game, but for all I know it could be a completely different game, or perhaps I'm just imagining things.
3. Put up obsticles they can't pass?
4. The roof you can make with fences on top of walls. Lift the walls by cfe and then remove the walls when you're finished.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 11:23 AM
Just a warning! A lot of trees and plants on one lot (Like about 50-100 plants) Could cause lagging when opening the lot up in Buy/build mode. I've had that issue when I made a scene that was suppose to be a forest and surrounded any open spots with bushes. But the amount of plants you have there is pretty much acceptable by the game when it comes to lots.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Aug 2016 at 5:17 AM
Thanks all!

I read someone's post recently about experimenting with how many plants can be placed on a lot before it started to lag. Obviously, this is based on your computer specs, but I thought if I could find this number, at least I would have a limit to aim for.

Thanks @Volvenom for the lattice roof explanation. I will try it. I am not sure if it will be the look I want, but it's worth a shot.

If anyone else has answers, especially for questions 2 & 3, please let me know.
Instructor
#6 Old 2nd Aug 2016 at 10:45 AM
"2. Is there a way of telling a sim where to go when they enter a commercial lot? Right now my test sim doesn't stop until he is in the rest room, which is not ideal."

There must be a way - or more precisely, a rule -, related to the lot type (I mean, the type of community lot you set it on map view) and to some objects placed on the lot, I guess. According to my experiences, the main rule is that when a sim arrives a commercial lot, basically, he's heading to a room surrounded by walls and equipped by a door. They always do it (in my game at least) when the lot type is Visitors Allowed. But the lot type may overwrite this rule, considering that there are Big Parks all open-air but a tiny toilet building, and when sims arrive, they don't each of them go to the toilet instantly, so it seems a "Big Park" might overwrite the main rule. Furthermore, I observed that in different Late Night bars sims arrive differently: on one of them, they are all heading into the restroom when they arrive the lot, on another one they don't, and just wandering inside the bar. Both type of bars have LN professional bars and ploppable dance floors, so these are not the objects that dictate the behavior. I have a guess that maybe band instruments on stage, or karaoke might overwrite the main rule? and there must be other objects too that have a stronger attraction than that unfortunate restroom. It would be nice to discover how it works.

I assume you know, by the way, that you can set the front of the lot, right? it helps a little to orient the visitor sims where to arrive (type testingcheatsenabled true, then right-click on the ground and there must be an option to "set front" or something like that...). It doesn't solve the problem of sims arriving into the restroom, but maybe helps a little. But I suppose you are aware of that option already.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Aug 2016 at 3:23 AM
Thanks, Vincent T.
and Greenplumbbob
and Floraflora2

I reworked the lot and moved the rest rooms further back on the lot. The lot has four buildings, and the rest rooms were in the building closest to the front. The good news is that sims now arrive at a different building. I am, however, no closer to figuring out the rule. The rest rooms are on the left, two other buildings are on the right, and the last is in the middle, near the back. I moved the rest rooms so they are now the second closest to the front, but sims run past the closest building, which is on the right, to the second building on the right, which is the third building from the front and second from the back. I thought I figured it out, since the building they now route to doesn't have a foundation, while the other two do. Then I remembered the rest room building also doesn't have a foundation, and I was back at square one, but I am VERY happy they don't arrive at the rest rooms anymore.