Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th May 2005 at 12:47 AM
In Need of Help in Milkshape - The Insides!
I am editing an object in milkshape,

I made a box and then made a cylinder(Round longie thing )
I cut the 'round thing' in half, and put it togeather with the box.

1) Is it possible to merge to things in milkshape, and does anybody know how? or a tutorial ?

2) This half 'round thing' - I like to texture and map (its insides),
I explain this so bad, but here goes ; Like if you took your t-shirt, and turned it inside out, - Is it possible to texture this side of objects in milkshape?

Best way I kow how to explain it

WindBlower
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 8th May 2005 at 1:34 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 24th Sep 2006 at 12:04 AM. Reason: fixed graphics
The faces used on our meshes are one-sided - the "front" side will show the texture, the "back" side will not.

Here is how to create a second set of faces, to put a texture on both sides of something.

I am using a simple half-sphere to explain, but this would work the same for any type of shape.

I have created a sphere, and then cut it in half. I have set the 3d Window to "flat shaded" because this will show clearly the "front" and "back" side of the faces. The front sides will show as grey, the back sides will look completely black. You see my half-sphere is grey on top, but black underneath

So I go to the "groups" tab, and select this group. I now use the menu "Edit/Duplicate Selection. It looks like nothing happened, but a second group name appears in the list. We can't see it, becase both half-spheres are right on top of each other. I select the original sphere group, and hide it.
Now, I select the second group, and use the menu "Faces/Reverse Vertex Order" This reverses all the selected faces - the "front" sides becomes the "back" side. Now I see my new half-sphere has the faces on the inside grey, and on the top all black.

I Unhide the first group - but now, I don't see the second group any more because both are still right on top of each other.

I "shrink" down my second group (the inside part) a tiny bit to make it slightly inside the other group. I select it, then use Scale with all set to .999

Depending on how big this object is, I may have to scale a few more times to make it look correct

Now, my inside and outside groups both show properly, all faces are grey both inside and outside. Each could be texture-mapped separately if desired, and this could now be turned into an umbrella, bowl, or other sort of two-sides thing.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#3 Old 8th May 2005 at 2:20 AM
So, how did you cut the sphere in half?
I never found any object addition or subtraction in MilkShape, so I have always tediously selected and deleted faces.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Scholar
#4 Old 8th May 2005 at 4:04 AM
I selected all the vertices on the unwanted half by dragging a box around them, then used the menu Edit/Delete Selection.

When you delete a vertice, all faces that depend on the vertice will disappear too.

You could do it by selecting faces too, if you prefer.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 8th May 2005 at 4:14 AM
Thanks for that information i was wondering how that was done
even though i have not needed to do it yet the information may come in handy soon
Alchemist
#6 Old 8th May 2005 at 6:00 AM
Thanks. I should have thought of that.
I miss having object subtraction in MilkShape. I use it in truSpace to bore holes on objects.
<* Wes *>

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th May 2005 at 10:57 AM
Thank you so very much Dr.Pixel

I miss my 3D-MAX

Is it possible to merge to things, in milkshape?
Gotta go BackFace my Back loool

WindBlower

WindBlower
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th May 2005 at 12:03 PM
Black faces ?
Dear Dr.Pixel

I tryed doing what you said. But when Faces/Reverse Vertex Order, All of my object becomes 'Black' - which probably means that it is missing a 'front-side' ?
then when I Texture it, it still seems black. :confused:

WindBlower
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th May 2005 at 12:07 PM
hmmm

never mind (I think) hehe
I saved my file and open it again and now I can see the difference - wounder why that is?

WindBlower
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th May 2005 at 12:13 PM
hmm..
don't understand this, When I turn off faced sides and return to textured side in 3d view, to see the texture, it is black again?

WindBlower
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th May 2005 at 12:23 PM
I've tested it in SimPE's preview window,
But it still missing that side ?
I am so confused on why this isent working heh

WindBlower
Scholar
#12 Old 8th May 2005 at 3:25 PM
Your picture doesn't show....

When you do the reversing of the faces, you must do this only to the new group and not the original group. To make sure you are only reversing one group what I do is to first hide both groups (so you will see nothing on the screen at all)

Then I unhide only the duplicate group, and select it.

===========================

For the other part, when you have finished editing an object and are ready to export, you must make sure it has the same exact number of groups, the same exact group names, and the groups must be in the same order that they were in the original object.

For example I made a decorative guitar, cloned from the "Ancient Transport Urn" object

When it came into MilkShape, it has two groups:
base
groundshadow

After I had finished my mesh, I had 10 different groups, the body of the guitar, the neck, the stand, the knobs, etc.

These all must go back into one of the original groups.

Any group with "shadow" in the name is used strictly for the game's shadow-rendering, and should never contain actual parts of the object.

So, I unhide everything except for the "groundshadow" group, and I select each group on the groups page until they are all red.

Then I [Regroup] them - I now have only two groups listed, "groundshadow" and "regroup01"

I rename "regroup01" to "base"

But, I notice that in the list, the "groundshadow" group is now first.

So, I click on the "base" group, then on the [Up] button.

Now "base" is at the top of the list again, and everything is exactly the same as the way the original Maxis mesh came in. I can now export my new mesh, and it will work properly in the game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th May 2005 at 10:00 PM
Dear Dr. Pixel

I allready know all that, and do It like that,
So that is not my problem.
I didn't do anything to the other group, and there is nothing wrong with the object itself, only still missing
that 'reversing of the faces' only to that part.

WindBlower
Scholar
#14 Old 9th May 2005 at 1:19 AM
Did you select the group on the groups tab that you wanted to reverse? It must be all red, with all the lines of the mesh showing red too - you can't select just the vertices, the whole faces must be selected.

In the picture, the one on the left has only the vertices selected. This can not be reversed. The one on the right has the faces selected, and will reverse.

This has always worked for me.

I use Wes H's plugins for importing/exporting. And in between, I always save my works as a .ms3d file.

It is possible that this will not work if you are importing/exporting as an .obj file, although I don't know any reason why it would not.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#15 Old 9th May 2005 at 5:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by WindBlower
I miss my 3D-MAX

I see a lot of people that model in 3DMax (and Maya), export the .obj and then import it (the .obj file) into MilkShape.
<* Wes *>

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th May 2005 at 4:41 PM
I did all that Dr.Pixel *remember you thought me*

and the hole object turned red, not just the vertex, I allways use Group-Tab section to select the hole object.
And I also uses Wes_h's plugins, and I have no truble with anything els (as fare as I can understand).
I must be doing something wrong, just got to figure out what, this could be

Maybe a 40'inches mistakes loool probably loool

WindBlower
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 10th May 2005 at 12:42 PM
just maybe it is because I... (don't know why I did it) but in the start I pushed 'weld togeather'
Just maybe this is a or the problem. Going to try making a new one.
WindBlower
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 10th May 2005 at 12:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wes_h
I see a lot of people that model in 3DMax (and Maya), export the .obj and then import it (the .obj file) into MilkShape.
<* Wes *>

Yes I've also read/ seen that. But Since it was so easy using Milkshape,
And it pretty much have a display like 3Dmax (just alot more in the max)
then I thought, hmm why not learn both

But one day I shall return to my Max, but I would like to get a hang on milkshape first

WindBlower
#19 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 4:32 AM
Default please help me
how do you get the milkship
Part-time Hermit
#20 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 8:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Usikislove
how do you get the milkship

I wasn't able to access the actual Milkshape website right now for some reason, but you can also download a (slightly older) trial version here.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 9th Jul 2007 at 12:12 PM Last edited by melanise : 9th Jul 2007 at 12:21 PM.
is it normal to have a slight tint of black on the top half ??? or is it doing that cuz i'm still in flat shaded mode ??

Edit: my inside half was showiing very unsmooth and very chopy, i smoothall both of them and it looked perfect was that a good move or not...? cuz i see u never mentioned to smoothall well i tried texturing and shows perfect on both sides so i guess it worked ty pixel excellent tutorial xx ^.^