Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 12:04 AM
Default Placing roofs on corners?
Can anyone link me to a thread about how to build a roof on a corner, i'm trying to re-create Sookie's house from True Blood but the roof for the porch is prooving tricky and it turns around a corner and i can't seem to get the roof right on that corner no matter what i do... can't find anything on MTS ether, anyone seen any good tutoriels for that on here?, no matter what roof i try it won't blend into each other.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 12:50 AM
Is it an 'L' shaped corner? Use the 'hip' roof and overlap at the corner. The "seam" will run diagonal where it should and the overlapped bit will cancel each other out.
I hope that made sense... Good luck

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 1:13 AM
The cornor area is yes, i'm trying to do it but it's not working out so much as Sookie's house has a shed gabled roof like rafters and the angle is 22, i'm building it looking at pictures but this is proving hard, i can't get the seem diagonal like you said.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 1:16 AM
Can you put up a picture of what you are trying to do and also a picture of the house you are making it look like.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 1:28 AM
Sure, i used the shed hipped roof and it worked out a bit better but now i'm left with holes on the corner, trying to get the roof on the porche area first before i build the rest of the house.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#6 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 2:21 AM
I usually use the shed hipped roof to get the nice corners. Make sure you pull it out to the end of both perpendicular sections you're roofing. Then I use the shed gabled roof on top of that if I want straight ends pieces. It leaves a bit of a seam, though.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 2:53 AM
This worked great! thanks! i don't mind the little crease left over, i put the shed hipped roof all on that side where it turns and then used shed gabled roof all across the front over lapping some of the shed roof :D. Thank heavens for this website id of given up on that tough one without it lol.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 4:23 AM
Having a problem with the windows getting in the way now though BAH! how do some people do it? lol.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 4:32 AM
Windows don't like being placed on walls that have a roof passing through them- in many cases, the easiest thing to do is wait until you finish the roof ABOVE the section you're trying to place windows in. Usually then you'll be able to place them without a problem. There's various other tricks you can use in more unique situations, but this one should help in the majority of cases.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 4:39 AM
Can't you place windows with moveobjects on?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Can't you place windows with moveobjects on?

Yeah, but if it's not a place where the game wants there to be a window, it won't actually place into the wall correctly- you'll essentially see a window INSIDE the wall, with no glass or see-through-ness to be found.

Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 4:49 AM
Hopefully it does fix other wise the only solution is to leave some sqares behind the roof and move the room back a bit so then the squares recognize there is nothing in the way, definitely just going to build the walls and the roof only for the second floor and then see how it works out.
Undead Molten Llama
#13 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 5:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Yeah, but if it's not a place where the game wants there to be a window, it won't actually place into the wall correctly- you'll essentially see a window INSIDE the wall, with no glass or see-through-ness to be found.

True, but sometimes that'll resolve itself if you save, exit the lot, and then re-enter it. Not always, depending on what you've done, but often.

EDIT @Pygsmyemm: Generally, a good plan is to put up your exterior walls first. (Or second, if you're building on foundation.) Do all of them, all floors. Then do your roofs, all of them. Then do windows and exterior doors. (Place the front door last so that the game "sees" it as the front door.) Then do your interior walls, interior doors/arches, and interior stairs between floors. (If you do stairs -- and windows -- before roofs, sometimes the roofs will not place. It'll tell you that it can't intersect an object.) That way, all of your elements will place properly and any extra pieces of roofs will automatically go away.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 3:25 AM
It's not working out so much i built the the walls of the second floor and tried to place the roof over the porch and it just keeps saying "Can't intersect other objects", some people have managed to do it but i have no clue how at all.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 3:35 AM
For the purposes of building roofs, an "object" is anything that can be interacted with via the hand tool in build/buy mode. If you have anything like this in the are you're creating your roof (even if it's an area where the roof will disappear once it's constructed) the game sees it as a conflict, and you won't be able to construct the roof. (The area of a roof can be more than you'd expect too, particularly if you're working with diagonal roofing.)

Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 4:03 AM Last edited by Pygsmyemm : 30th Jul 2014 at 4:14 AM.
It's just that whole roof area and also the back of the house and the roofing on the seond floor is just poking out everywhere as on top it's triangle roofing but it appears it did the same thing for this person who built Sookies house, how they got the roolf on without the windows conflicting though i've no idea lol http://secure.thesimsresource.com/m...ome/id/1155100/ That is TS3 they used TS2 but the same thing would of happened in TS3 probs. You can however build a wall on top of a roof.

Edit: It just worked lol i put all the roofing on the second floor too and i think it needs a roof on first before adding windows without it the roof is just too low. However you can't add shuttered windows near a roof but you can add others just as long as they don't cover the whole wall.