Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2005 at 11:36 AM
Default groups.cache, what does it do?
I figured this would be the place to ask. My game becomes corrupted fairly often because I have a huge number of downloads. I found deleting groups.cache solves 99% of all my problems and prevents the need for reinstalling. I was thinking this file is an index of all files in the game, because forcing the game to make a new one usually clears up misdrawn icons for clothing also. Then I got to wondering, what exactly it contains, because when it rebuilds itself, it's usually about halfsize even after I have used build tools, CAS, and played my families. I have noticed absolutely nothing missing. Someone fill me in? Am I getting rid of useful stuff? The one time I got jump bug, this fixed it entirely. Are some memories stored in it, like the hidden memories?
Advertisement
One of those Maxoids
#2 Old 6th Jun 2005 at 7:30 AM
Each file is essentially a little database that contains records. Each of these records has a "key" that specifies the type of the record and what "group" it belongs to. When the game starts up, it looks into each file and determines what groups each one contains so that finding a file by a specific group (something that is done quite often) can be done quickly.

To alleviate the need for querying the file for what groups it has, which may require opening the file more than what is necessary and doing file I/O, a cache of groups to filenames is stored in groups.cache. A timestamp for the cache per file is also stored so that if the file has been changed or updated then the cache is invalidated.

We've noticed some issues here as well and are working to fix them. The group.cache file will rebuild itself when necessary so I wouldn't worry about deleting it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jun 2005 at 12:50 PM
Thanks so much for an official answer. Deleting it really does fix almost every problem I have had, especially when I upgraded to Uni. Might be useful for your tech support to know that it also seems to fix when the game suddenly becomes sluggish, for some reason.

It's great to know you guys are on it, and we'll be getting another patch at some point.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 1st Jul 2005 at 3:47 AM
How does one go about deleting this file? I mean, where is it?
Field Researcher
#5 Old 1st Jul 2005 at 3:51 AM
Yes, I'd like to know, too...
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Jul 2005 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by YesPlease
Yes, I'd like to know, too...

Maxoid Tom just explained what it is =D

Anyway Jaedle, I also have a large number of downloads and I automatically delete my groups.cache before starting S2 now. It saves me sitting here going *wtf? why isn't the game starting!!* =) I was thinking of writing a batfile that deletes it then starts the game for me hehe.

You can find groups.cache in the root of your My Docs Sims 2 directory. I have noticed 2 things it may cause your game to do. 1) The game makes it to your processes list but doesn't actually launch - it just disappears OR 2) your game will launch but then you get a crashed application fairly quickly.

It is one of the things we advise people to delete to try and track down a crashing game because as Maxoid Tom said, its not a file integral to actually MAKING the game go - but is generated by data processing within the game.

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Field Researcher
#7 Old 1st Jul 2005 at 4:17 AM
Sorry...should have clarified myself. I wanted to know where it's located...

Thanks, Loverat, for the location information.
One of those Maxoids
#8 Old 2nd Jul 2005 at 3:23 AM
It's in My Docs\EA Games\The Sims 2\

BTW, we are resolving several issues in the upcoming expansion pack regarding the groups.cache file.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 2nd Jul 2005 at 3:29 AM
I had not thought of deleting it each time prior to opening the Sims2; I had just run into the problem not too long ago where a majority of my Sim thumbnails in CAS were corrupted and deleting groups.cache did the trick for me.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 2nd Jul 2005 at 4:15 AM Last edited by Mutantbunny : 2nd Jul 2005 at 4:24 PM.
Well, maybe this explains why I have not expereinced Uni bugs the way others have. I have deleted those files that regenerate....about once a month just thru the course of 'cleaning' my files (I was a database administrator for a time--I'm a clean file freak.)

Thank you MaxiodTom. Great info to have!
Field Researcher
#11 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 4:51 PM
It might just be my imagination, but my game seems to load faster when I delete the groups.cache before starting it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 7:37 AM
For me, the first time it loads after deleting, it can take awhile as it regenerates, but I have a huge huge number of downloads. Once the game *does* load, I see a gigantic speed improvement. I delete it about every other time. My game has been very stable ever since I started this.
Test Subject
#13 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 4:32 PM
Is anyone able to help me???
I don't know if anyone can help or if my game is just permantly screwed. I have had Sims 2 and all of it's expansions since they were released and they have worked just fine. On this past Monday night I was playing my game and when I was done I saved and turned it off as normal. When I tried to start it up again on Tuesday instead of going to full screen mode after the Sims Nightlife logo a little gray box with a red x and an ok button popped up. There was no other print in it, no reason for the error. I tried restoring my computer back to an earlier time but that had no effect. I called tech support yesterday and they told me I would have to reinstall. They told me to backup my Sims 2 file that was under My Documents. I did so and tried to reinstall. The uninstall for the game would not work and neither would add/remove programs so they sent me directions on how to manually uninstall. I did so and after many errors on the reinstall attempt I was finally able to get the game working again. Then I replaced the new my documents/ea/sims 2 file with my old one that I had saved. When I tried to enter the game I got the same error message. I removed my old file and put the one from the new install back where it was. I then started replacing the files and folders with my old ones one by one and testing the game in between to see if I could find which one was causing the problem. After replacing all the files I found that the only one that caused the game to fail in loading was the groups.cache file. I then looked this file up on the web and saw this post. I followed the advice here and after backing up it up just in case, I deleted the groups.cache file from the folder. I then tried to start the game and it loaded up normally. However, when I entered into my neighborhood everything was correct except my main family was missing. The way my game is set up is I started with an original family and everyone else in the neighborhood is relatives or descendants of theirs. It’s the family I play the most and it’s the one I was playing on Monday night. Everyone else is still there but that family and their house are missing. The lot is completely empty. The strange thing is that when I enter one of their children's houses they still appear in their relationship queue and family tree. How can that be if the parents aren't in the game anymore?
Sorry to be so long winded and confusing, it's just that I am very distressed about this. I put a lot of work into that family and have been playing them for over a year (ever since Sims 2 was released). Does anyone know if there is anything I can do?? Are they just gone?? Is there anyway of getting them back??
Thank you for your patience.
Test Subject
#14 Old 27th Dec 2005 at 7:18 AM
all I can say is put the back up of your The Sims 2 folder in my documents back in with all files one of them may have got currupted or maybe didn't get reinstalled
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#16 Old 7th Feb 2006 at 8:11 AM
Yes Ferrarrifanatic, things that are working now will still work. But it is unlikely deleting groups.cache will help your bodyshop start working. It won't do any harm to try.

PS I do wish you'd try to type more neatly, as I now have a headache starting.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
#17 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 12:34 AM
I could not get body shop to work at one time and I had to copy the shortcut within the file. Then I clicked on the copy and it worked for me. Try that and see if that helps.
#18 Old 22nd Apr 2006 at 9:52 AM
Hi, I bought my sims2 from ebay and it's in Thai. When at the end of installation, there is a message about this group.cache prompt out. Since the language is in Thai, I don't know what it means. Then I click cancel. The game is loading perfectly, however, when I enter the game, there is no neighbourhood found, I even couldn't create one. I wonder whether this was related to that group.cache. Could anyone help me and let me know how to fix it? Thanks a lot.
Part-time Hermit
#19 Old 22nd Apr 2006 at 10:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ohlisha
Hi, I bought my sims2 from ebay and it's in Thai. When at the end of installation, there is a message about this group.cache prompt out. Since the language is in Thai, I don't know what it means. Then I click cancel. The game is loading perfectly, however, when I enter the game, there is no neighbourhood found, I even couldn't create one. I wonder whether this was related to that group.cache. Could anyone help me and let me know how to fix it? Thanks a lot.

I would post this question on the Help forum (after looking at the FAQs first) .
#20 Old 22nd Apr 2006 at 11:05 AM
Thanks for your instant response. I've been studying this forum since this afternoon, and tried to find out topics related to my problem. However, experimented the delete neighbourhood file in My document, and paste again, but still no luck

Looking forward to your help :D
Test Subject
#21 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 10:30 AM
I am trying to get the Channels on my tv to show up with out a blue blinking screen that come's on the tv. but i am trying to figure out how to fix that and how to get avi's that it say's i need can some one please tell me how to do that?
Test Subject
#22 Old 17th Jul 2006 at 9:48 AM
Default Help?
I tried deleting the groups.cache files, and my game loads VERY FAST, but it crashes literally after about 5 minutes. I've been trying to make the same person for a weeks now, but I only get so far before the game crashes or sometimes, my computer altogether.
Part-time Hermit
#23 Old 17th Jul 2006 at 9:50 AM
heckyesitsbecca, I recommend you refer to the FAQs in the Game Help section, and if those articles won't provide a solution, then make a post at the Help forum.
Test Subject
#24 Old 21st Aug 2006 at 10:34 AM
I'm just wondering, if you do delete the file and your game crashes right after, how would you fix it? I'm just a bit paranoid before I delete it. Could I maybe just not delete and move it to another place, just like the desktop and see if my game works better without it? I have some interaction problems and I'm wondering if deleting this file will make it work.

And anytime you feel the pain, hey jude, refrain,
Dont carry the world upon your shoulders.
For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.
-Hey Jude (The Beatles)
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 21st Aug 2006 at 4:40 PM
I also delete the groups cache before startinting up the game or bodyshop..I have nevr had a problem as a result of doing this and I have been doing it since OFB came out.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 2