Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#201 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 5:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eufl
I definately can´t say, what I like more, the historical things like I work on, or the modern houses like the one on the third picture. It is an interesting idea and well realized. You did spend some thoughts into small details like the correspondending size of windows, or changing the direction of the wave. I love that.
Also the farm is stunning , while the school - well, it´s a school and they look this way. Really good work, especially with the diagonals, but I hate it, although I am an old fart now. Why don´t we give the kids of our Sims nice schools? Is this, cause we think, they should suffer like we did?

Luckily I did not show a picture of the school in my town. It is an uninspired building, something you can only use serious, if you would burn it down. I should give it a name like Ramones School.

Thanks so much!

Lol, I did try to make the school look realistic so I'm glad that's come across even if it seems a bit depressing

Happy Simming!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#202 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 9:42 PM Last edited by eufl : 17th Aug 2014 at 12:32 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by GreenCats
Lol, I did try to make the school look realistic so I'm glad that's come across even if it seems a bit depressing

That´s it... Schools are built to construct something from a natural form, may it be positive or negative. But I am sure, what we call school, is not the right place for children. My attempt does look like the most old school buildings here do - boring...

Here an old picture of it. I will change a lot here soon, the building will get another place, it needs a sports hall, and here I have not enough space for a schoolyard. But the facade is nearly finished:

But I worked a bit also. Some new pictures, more gardens and backyards done:

This project is endless, there are so much possibilities. And always - like on the fourth picture you´ll find mistakes. Here I forgot to paint the ground under the hedge...

I needed four years to find my way from Sims 2 to Sims 3, and I still miss a lot of abilities I had In Sims 2. Eventually this year I´ve done the last step and bought the most addons. And now I am CAW addicted. There is no other word for...
I hope, you like it!
Field Researcher
#203 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 10:54 PM
Espejismo...the mirage house. Still needs landscaping and some second floor interior work.

A little CFE on the entry bridgeway, main structure supported solely by three columns, latticed flooring on the upper level for transparency and an open feel, and an underwater arch at the lot entry for a fantasy feel. Also put some fog emitters in the pond, but I'm dubious that they're perceptible...tried them at ground level, but fog drifted into the house.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Lab Assistant
#204 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 9:00 PM
I like the colours, I like the layout and this three columns thing. And I like the idea.
But I don´t like the roof.
It is too high and it should not look like an essemble of roofs. I would suggest to try different heighs of the roof parts to fit intogether more.
But aside from that: nice!
Field Researcher
#205 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 5:18 AM
I like the colours, I like the layout and this three columns thing. And I like the idea.
But I don´t like the roof.
It is too high and it should not look like an essemble of roofs. I would suggest to try different heighs of the roof parts to fit intogether more.
But aside from that: nice!

Yeah, I think you're right on that. If I can get a better look on the roof, I'll post another pic.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Lab Assistant
#206 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 7:33 AM Last edited by XoxBElieveXox : 22nd Aug 2014 at 3:44 AM.
Here it is
Screenshots
Scholar
#207 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 3:49 PM
GreenCats and eufl, you've both got some really great stuff there. Wow!

Okay, so I'm really not much of a builder most of the time. I just generally lack inspiration, cause most of the houses in my area don't translate well to the sims, and the ones that do are pretty boring. But I just got back from spending a few days in the countryside with my grandparents, so I thought I'd try to build a copy of their house. And so far I'm really pleased with how it's turning out! :D

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Lab Assistant
#208 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 8:47 PM
What should I say, I love it. :lovestruc
The garden looks a bit boring but I can imagine, that some people don´t want to have a lot of work with it.
And the building is so 50thies - won-der-ful. I love all the small details here, the cornerstones, the drainpipe, the small weed in the shed. Very nice and damn realistic. Definately a home for my neighborhood, as this style isn´t regional. I think, I should steal it.
Scholar
#209 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 1:51 AM
I have to admit I just went through the last couple of pages of this thread searching for some other picture that those comments could have applied to, because I just couldn't believe they were meant for me. Thank you so much! :lovestruc That means a lot coming from someone whose work is so full of life. I'm a little awestruck by how real yours feel. It reminds me so much of some of the French towns I've visited. I can imagine myself spending a few weeks there so easily! I also adore how much variety you have in such a small area, while still keeping the style consistent enough that nothing feels like it doesn't belong.

I only made the move to TS3 a few months ago myself, and I think this is the first house I've ever built in the game. I did a little bit of building in TS2 over the years but nothing worthy of upload. So I'm really excited about how well it's turning out! And also because I realised as I was building it that the house has fantastic gameplay potential. I made a couple of small modifications and sacrificed a few details to maximise that potential (and also to give me less work, tbh ) and I had to sacrifice a couple more due to practical limitations but it's still very recognisable so I'm beyond pleased

You're right about the garden though. I had to wait til I got home to start building, and I didn't think to take some pictures for reference so I was doing it by memory and I underestimated the landscaping in a few spots. Along with a few other little oops things! But I'm back at the house for another couple of days so I'm going to take some pictures this time and try to improve it when I get back. There'll still be lots of open space, just better detailing around the edges.

at the weed in the shed though. Honestly, that was an accident. I was filling the area around the shed behind the hedge with some plants, as it's very wild IRL, and I accidentally placed a few pieces close enough that a corner of them poked through the wall. I noticed it as I was taking pictures and decided to leave it because it works fine and it's nice to have some bit of detail in the shed while I figure out what to do with it. Somehow I doubt someone has made decorative giant piles of cut turf for TS3 This it what it looks like from behind;

I'd say you're probably right about the style. Some parts of rural Ireland have some wonderful distinctly and recognisably Irish architecture, but there's an awful lot of very plain and unremarkable houses that could be anywhere. You've gotten me curious about when it was built now! I'll have to ask!

Here's another couple of angles, so that this post isn't completely made up of me rambling away

View from the front of the driveway.

This one is the other side of the back of the garden. The pathway leads to the house next door, where my aunt lives. So I guess I'll have to do that house next! I love that TS3's open neighbourhood will actually allow that path to be functional

And here's the corner that's hiding behind the cars. Which I just realised could be very easily converted into a nice vegetable garden. In fact, I think it actually used to be one!

So yeah. That's what I've got so far

jus nou drein jus daun
Lab Assistant
#210 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 1:52 AM Last edited by eufl : 29th Aug 2014 at 2:07 AM.
First I must say: I love this wild corner there, especially compared to the so clean garden in the front. That´s perfect.
Only one thing isn´t nice: what did happen with the ground. Do you use low graphics? The bottom texture looks unfamiliar washy... I never had experienced something like this, if I zoom in.

Quote: Originally posted by Gingerxyz
I have to admit I just went through the last couple of pages of this thread searching for some other picture that those comments could have applied to, because I just couldn't believe they were meant for me.

I only made the move to TS3 a few months ago myself, and I think this is the first house I've ever built in the game.
Doesn´t look like!

...at the weed in the shed though. Honestly, that was an accident.

But a good one. Often mistakes can be used as ideas to try something uncommon.

Somehow I doubt someone has made decorative giant piles of cut turf for TS3

One thought: cyclonesue has made some sets with objects for building lots. You could use bricks, and with the CASt...

I'd say you're probably right about the style. Some parts of rural Ireland have some wonderful distinctly and recognisably Irish architecture, but there's an awful lot of very plain and unremarkable houses that could be anywhere. You've gotten me curious about when it was built now! I'll have to ask!

Ha, as much as I love framework - I must say, the 50s were been a time of exeptional architecture and style experiments. Bauhaus, exiled from Germany into the USA gave new impulses as well as the love to concrete of architects like Le Corbusier. And I have to admit, I am a real fan of Brutalism.
Architecture then became internationalized eventually, cause traffic and transport of the needed materials were fast enough for this. The typical bungalow building can be found from the 40s on in suburban areas in the USA.
Here around, where I live, early exemplars were built in the 50s, and it was a common style until the 70s.
Although your house shows details, that made me curious about the region it comes from. The shelter behind, the integrated garage, things like this. So thank you for this information.

Okay, and now for something completely different. Wilhelminian style mixed with sixties. My school is finished, - nah, nearly finished, I found mistakes too.
But if I look in here and have some pictures, then well, have fun - at least I hope so.
Short information: The old part is nearly the same building like the one I did show earlier. But the new lot with a slope needed a complete rebuild. The quarter here is in the north of the old town center.

And pics:

Gymnasium:

Auditorium:

Seeya soon!
Scholar
#211 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:19 PM
First I must say: I love this wild corner there, especially compared to the so clean garden in the front. That´s perfect.
Only one thing isn´t nice: what did happen with the ground. Do you use low graphics? The bottom texture looks unfamiliar washy... I never had experienced something like this, if I zoom in.

Thanks! I've uploaded the pictures I took for reference here, if you want to take a look (you might need a password to access it. if you do, "simsthree" should work). My version is a bit less wild, as I'm trying not to go too crazy with the plant density for performance reasons, but I think I'm doing an okay job at balancing accuracy vs. performance.

As for the graphics, I have my settings set mostly at medium, with one or two a little higher. Trying not to strain my computer too much! But some of the visible land in the first picture is neighbourhood terrain, so maybe that's playing a part? Also, I think the game seems to reduce texture quality when I'm low on free RAM??? Sometimes the ground texture looks very good and sometimes it looks more like that. Idk. It's weird.

One thought: cyclonesue has made some sets with objects for building lots. You could use bricks, and with the CASt...

Ooh, that's not a bad idea at all! Unfortunately, it seems that the largest pile she has is only 4 bricks, and, as you can see from the pictures, there's a lot of turf in that shed. it would be a real pain to even half fill half of the shed using pieces that size But I'll keep an eye out for something similar! Thanks for the idea!

The typical bungalow building can be found from the 40s on in suburban areas in the USA.
Here around, where I live, early exemplars were built in the 50s, and it was a common style until the 70s.
Although your house shows details, that made me curious about the region it comes from. The shelter behind, the integrated garage, things like this. So thank you for this information.

Well, I asked and it turns out the house was built in the mid to late 80s!!! Which I was surprised by at first, but then realised it actually makes a lot of sense considering it's in rural Ireland. The country as a whole was very very isolated and cut off from international influence until the late 70s. And was in very poor shape economically until the 90s. And anywhere outside Dublin even more so. So simple bungalows that show influence from a style that started to develop in America a few decades earlier and had already started to die out makes a hell of a lot of sense for rural Ireland in the 80s. Huh. That's actually really interesting. Thanks for sending me down that train of thought!

I love the combination of old and new(er) in your school! It actually reminds me a bit of the primary school I went to. Though of course my school was on a smaller scale. But it's that same sort of flat-roofed, more modern extension that kind of twists around a little, sticking out of a much older building. So naturally to me that feels perfect for a school! And again, the attention to detail around the exterior is fantastic!

jus nou drein jus daun
Field Researcher
#212 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 11:54 PM
GreenCats and eufl, you've both got some really great stuff there. Wow!

Thanks - that's really kind of you to say!

I really like your house particularly how you've done the driveway and lawn. I think it's really difficult to create negative space when landscaping in TS3 because it often ends up looking random, but what you've done here looks great, and very realistic!
Field Researcher
#213 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 11:57 PM
More lovely pictures, eufl! I really like how it's clear that you're school has been added to over time. I love buildings with an architectural story to them!

PoisonFrog, your house looks so fun and creative

I finished something else I'd been working on - just another simple, vernacular-y build for my version of Barnacle Bay.

Scholar
#214 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GreenCats
Thanks - that's really kind of you to say!

I really like your house particularly how you've done the driveway and lawn. I think it's really difficult to create negative space when landscaping in TS3 because it often ends up looking random, but what you've done here looks great, and very realistic!

Thank you! Hopefully I didn't mess it up to much when I went back to try a little more!

So this is what it looks like now.

Just a couple of changes. Updated the appearance of the walls on the front of the house to better match the original, and added a few more shrubs and stuff, again, to bring it a little bit closer to reality. I think I'm pretty much done with the outside now, which means I'll have to work up the nerve to properly tackle the inside. Think it'll probably be a little while until I get to that though, I've spent enough time on it for the moment and the ADHD part of my brain is starting to protest!

Good news is, while I haven't made much progress there, I have built a whole other house! And this one isn't just a replica of a real house. I'm not totally happy with it, but I do think it's the best house I've ever built from scratch and it's definitely not bad, so I'm fairly proud of it.

It's a 6BR 5BA house, very loosely inspired by the movie Cheaper by the Dozen. Not at all screen accurate, but I borrowed a few ideas. And I built it with the family from that movie in mind. So it's currently furnished for a family of 2 parents and 12 kids. Thank god for bunk beds!

Unfortunately though, I accidentally built it on a lot that was slightly bigger than I needed. There isn't by any chance a lotadjuster type thing for TS3 is there? I just need to shave a little bit off one side

jus nou drein jus daun
Mad Poster
#215 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 2:54 AM
Well, after watching videos on the Store site for hours on end and getting up enough points to grab some shinies (specifically some stuff from the Sandy Shoals set), I slaved away for a few hours on a new house in Barnacle Bay.

I'm trying to get away from plain rectangular boxes.

Here's the 5 BR 4 BA I built today.

Front view. I've since put blinds in the tall windows in the living room and master bedrooms:

Rear view. I thought the balcony looked kinda neat. There's a bench at the end, the tree's in the way:

Ground floor. The couch and computer desk are separated by a half-wall. That tiny TV is what came with Roaring Heights, or the Bayview set, whatever....

Second floor. There's a door leading from the master bedroom to the nursery. This house I built specifically for a large family.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Forum Resident
#216 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 8:14 AM
I'm working on a big ol' haunted mansion loosely inspired by the Glensheen Historic Estate. I've got most of the structural stuff done and I've started in on the landscaping, but I've still got a loooong way to go before it's usable. I am, however, digging what I've got so far, so I thought I'd share it. This is definitely the most ambitious building project I've ever done, but I'm having a heck of a time with it.

Just the shell.

Windows and interior walls and doors placed! 5 bedrooms and 4 baths so far, but I'm still moving walls around inside.

And a closeup of the flower beds because I thought they were pretty.

Quick question--does anyone know of a way to move the building on the lot without demolishing and remaking the entire thing? I built the damn thing like 6 squares too close to the street, and the fountain I want out front looks really cramped.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Mad Poster
#217 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mammal
Quick question--does anyone know of a way to move the building on the lot without demolishing and remaking the entire thing? I built the damn thing like 6 squares too close to the street, and the fountain I want out front looks really cramped.

My suggestion would be to save it to your lots library, then put it on a bigger lot. If you built it on a 40X40, put it on a 50X50.

Or if you downloaded the mod here where you can make lots whatever size you want (like 26X38), create a lot a little bit bigger than what you have your house on.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Forum Resident
#218 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 6:30 AM
Alright, I'll try that once I've got the house completed.

I started in on the interior because I was sick of planting flower beds. After I finalize the layout, I like to work one room at a time, getting each one 90% done before I start in on the next. This is a large ballroom/living room for throwing sick parties/debutante balls. It's got a few sitting areas and a bar, but most of is dance floor. It's not quite done (there remain corners which aren't filled with ferns), but it's close enough, so eh. I'd say the dining room's up next, but I'm still moving walls around in that wing, so I'll probably do the back yard/pool area or master suite next.

This is my favorite part of the room. You can just picture the spinster aunts and respectable widows exchanging vicious gossip.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Lab Assistant
#219 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 6:27 PM
Like always the only thing I can say is: I like, what I see.

Three pictures of my current work:

I hope, you like it!
Test Subject
#220 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 2:41 PM
This is my Mansard district - where all the houses look alike. I had in mind at least one "district" where the houses would be all the same style. It's still under construction.
I apologize for the picture quality, my computer isn't good enough to render more than 2 lots at once.
http://i.imgur.com/oN82FVh.jpg?1
Theorist
#221 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 8:18 PM
eufl, your project....deserves it's own thread in the world's section. It will get more noticed there. Really good work there

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#222 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emandem
This is my Mansard district - where all the houses look alike. I had in mind at least one "district" where the houses would be all the same style. It's still under construction.
I apologize for the picture quality, my computer isn't good enough to render more than 2 lots at once.

Can I download it? Get a list of CC? It's really friggin' cool.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#223 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 9:37 PM
Like always the only thing I can say is: I like, what I see.

Three pictures of my current work:

I hope, you like it!

@Eufl, are you modeling this after Stuttgart and environments?
Lab Assistant
#224 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 4:05 PM
Heya Simmers!

First thank you all for the nice comments on my work here. If someone wants to know more, have a look at TFM´s.

@emandem,
I like these mansard houses, and I really would like to see more pictures of them.

@tizerist,
thanks, sent you a pm.

@310175
thank you, but no, this town is typical for the south Hessian region here. Stuttgart was a framework town 100 years ago, now it is one of the examples, how easy it was to destroy the whole historic center in the middle 60ties only to get bigger streets.
Also there is a big difference between Saxonian, Franconian and Allemannian framwork, and my town is heavily influenced by Franconian traditions, although the most buildings here are Baroque-style like the church, the palace, the most houses in the Jewish lane. The most parts of Hesse were heavily destroyed in the war between 1618 and 1648, so all the "modern" buildings in the historic center were built short after the end of this war.

Okay, that´s it for now, but I will not go without a few pictures.

This small former signalman house is the one I would choose for my self sim (although it was uglified in the sixties):

And I hate the grid. This house is situated on a not rectangular lot:

The houses here belong to a complete set: Working class homes built around 1900. If there is any interest I would like to share them as a set (4 different houses, and every version also availlable as a mirrored one to build pairs). All the houses are finished but not furnished, and the lots aren´t decorated. Here I show a picture, how they can look ingame:

The same I can say about these buildings, a set of typical 1930 houses, again finished but not furnished and without lot deco. Also here you can find a mirrored version of the same building. But sadly I wasn´t able to finish the scenery, so you need some imagination to "see", how they can look with deco.

I hope you like the pictures. Seeya!
Test Subject
#225 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 2:34 PM

Page 9 of 13