Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Oct 2010 at 12:06 PM
Default "Locked Lot" versus "Hidden Tomb"
Hello there,

I have a question again.

Since I shaped my world a lot in CAW (e. g. one area like a boat) I need some lots to be (nearly) unchangeable by players, as the game will often destroy the shaped area after I delete the lot on it - therefore making it looking ugly.

Now I'm wondering if the lock I can set in CAW's EIG is the one that will need the "EnableLotLocking true/false" cheat in game later? I haven't tried it yet, but I suppose so.

Now, I also have some lots I don't even want to show up as lots, as they are purely for decoration. I set them to "hidden tomb", but I realized I cannot touch them in the game at all... is that possible by some cheat, or will these be forever unsee- and unchangeable for the players (and me, for that matter)?

Does anybody use these two options? I just want to make sure I'm not screwing things up for good and the game won't be playable after exporting it and giving it to others. ^^;

I play Sims in German, so I apologize in advance for any "funny/wrong English term" I might use when describing something about the game. ;)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 7:03 AM
You can change hidden tomb lots through the EnableLotLocking cheat, I think.

Looking forward to your world!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 6:00 AM
I didn't try that yet, but I realized that you can build on hidden lots with the testingcheat enabled (SHIFT + CTRL, click on ground). That is great, as I could still alter them I've there really was the need (usually it's not, they only contain some spawners).

What I realized as a problem, however, is that I should not lock normal community lots, as Sims can purchase them in the game, making it possible for the player to build on them... so I suppose that would be deactivated if I locked the lot. However, I will try as soon as I'm on my game computer again. Tricky stuff, that... if all fails, I'll just have to add a warning to certain lot descriptions to not delete these or else.

I play Sims in German, so I apologize in advance for any "funny/wrong English term" I might use when describing something about the game. ;)
Scholar
#4 Old 17th Oct 2010 at 10:30 PM
People who would want to change lots will likely know about the shift click in testingcheatsenabled. It's one of the hazards of world building, that once it goes out of your hands, you can't do a thing about it. Would you want someone put off playing your world just because they can't change a particular lot?

I hate that mine will be pulled apart and moved around but it's the name of the game. Once someone downloads it, it belongs to them and if they want to change it, that's up to them.

If particular lots have an issue, I'd just put it in the description to leave them be and let them get on with it. I know the hazards of moving lots around in edit world and for this reason I'll only support my world if it hasn't been altered drastically, maybe you should say the same kind of thing.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 20th Oct 2010 at 6:24 PM
I have some lots that are just decorative, with fencing and what not. I don't want the blue bubble to show up, creating more visual chaos. Do I use the hidden tomb selection?
Retired
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Oct 2010 at 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by auntielynds
I have some lots that are just decorative, with fencing and what not. I don't want the blue bubble to show up, creating more visual chaos. Do I use the hidden tomb selection?
Yep, that's precisely what hidden tombs are handy for. Hiding lots on the map.

I've written a lot about how lots function in TS3 on the Sims Wikia site. I really should write it up for MTS's wiki!

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Lot_assignment

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Forum Resident
#7 Old 20th Oct 2010 at 11:15 PM
Thanks Kiwi!

I should be reading the stuff on the sims wiki, Thanks for the link. I'm going to go read up!
Instructor
#8 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 5:13 PM
Sorry for pulling up this thread, but I'm currently looking for a way to set a lot to "Hidden Tomb" in Edit World mode, and I was wondering if anyone knows how this can be accomplished. I want to greatly reduce the amount of map tags in a custom world created by somebody else and I am reluctant to try and modify it in CAW for this purpose. Halp? :D
Retired
retired moderator
#9 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 8:22 PM
You can't set it to the any hidden WA lot types in Edit World. You can just delete the lots, though.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Instructor
#10 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 10:58 PM
True, I don't want to delete them however as the high rise buildings etc. greatly contribute to the map's feel but they're just shells so there's no need for them to have map tags. I went ahead and loaded the world into CAW, guess I'll have to do this the hard way then. :/
Instructor
#11 Old 28th Jun 2012 at 5:07 AM
Sigh. Using a valuable lot to display deco items seems to be such a waste. Keep in mind that there is a limit on the number of lots you can place before you start experiencing problems. (What that exact number is, no one knows for sure.) Personally, I horde my lots.

If your highrises are just shells, there should be no reason to stick them on a lot. If they are CAW enabled, there is no reason TO stick them on a lot.
Instructor
#12 Old 28th Jun 2012 at 1:17 PM
Hey hey hey, like I said before: This is *not* my world. I downloaded this world (which is base game compatible, so no fancy LN high rise shells) and I honestly don't want to diminish the creator's effort by deleting their lots as they are quite scenic and took a lot of effort to create using only the Base Game and build cheats.
Personally, I agree with you. The world has a truckload of individual lots that give my game a very hard time (and crashes) which is why I want to try to reduce their number without going on a delete spree just yet. It's a shame, really, as the creator put so much effort into this world but it's just not very playable